PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Can Co. - any good?

Wabbitkilla
05-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Peeps,
I'm trying to get legal cans for my 900ss and having all sorts of trouble.
You see it's a '96 model and everyone seems to think only the injection models exist and you only want race cans.

Now i've been "approached" by Mr North Yorkshire plod previously for a full race tune and Yoshi on a Zephyr550.

So i've found the Carbon Can Co, definitely do road legal cans in a vatiety of shaps and materials for a not unreasonable price.

The big question is, "are they any good?"

So if any of you have any experience good or bad, please tell me before i go spending my hard-earned cash.

JMo
05-06-2005, 07:22 PM
I had CCC cans on my 620 originally (350mm - although they were the race version), and the bike ran really really well with them - no need to adjust the ECU or anything (carbs might be different though), and ran even better after the EFi was set up specifically to them...

SazzaJ bought them for her 620, and loved them, and Rogerg fitted them to his S4 and it ran perfectly and sounded awesome!

Good quality cans (the carbon fibre is very nice, with good laquer), but the fitting kit link-pipes and mounting straps to need a bit of jiggle to get them to fit nicely.

Hope that helps...

xxx

Wabbitkilla
13-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Ordered them on tuesday, arrived wednesday - wow that's quick, rush home to fit them.

Ah, ahem, a catch!
The bleedin' link pipes wont fit over the original pipework.

Phonecall, "don't worry maybe they slipped through the system, we'll send out another pair, just send back those ones in the box when the new ones arrive".

Thursday, new link pipes arrive.
wee - rush home to fit 'em.

Catch!
Too bleedin' big! They now slop around on the inner orig pipe, but wont fit under the joint sleeve.

Phonecall, "don't know what's wrong they fitted to a bike in the workshop here, Ducati's vary in the size of their pipework. You could send them back for a refund." - "but i need these things fitted, that's why i paid £400", "well send both pairs of link pipes back next day delivery and we'll get you some more on monday."

Sent them all back next day, still waiting today!
This time i've measured the pipework and told them the outside dia of the engine feed pipes. If they can't get it right this time.......

Why does life have to be so difficult!?!

MrsJel
13-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I put a set of road legal CCC's on the M1000 - I went to CCC after I'd sold the Sils and got bored with the lack of sound on the standard cans. My husband had fitted a set of titanium ones on his tdm - they smoothed his twin out and made it sound like a real bike. Only problem he had fitting my cans was the bracket had to be re-shaped a bit and the fact that CCC hadn't put replacement bolts in.

They were quite helpful when I rang for help and a bit embarrassed that the bolts weren't there. Had no problems with them since, they almost sound as good as the Sils and I don't feel guilty about waking the neighbours any more.

cheeky monkey
13-06-2005, 06:14 PM
ccc had them on my guzzi sport no probs. if you dont get it sorted nick give zorstec at shipley a ring they will build you a set as loud/quite as you like

;)

Wabbitkilla
14-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, they arrived yesterday and i picked them up from the Post orifice today.

Not a perfect fit, but i heated them up in a pan of boiling water and they're on there and not coming off!

These things are supposed to be legal !?!
Ok ok i'll calm down, they're not as loud as you lot i went out with from Manchester, and definitely quieter than lostagain's. Still pretty loud, and the throttle response is considerably crisper. In fact the bike as a whole is considerably more rapid.

Thankyou Mr Carbon Can Co.

Happy happy happy happy happy happy, they were made to growwwl! :burnout:

MrsJel
14-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Glad you're sorted - need to update your avatar now so we can see the result!

Lost Again
15-06-2005, 11:06 AM
These things are supposed to be legal !?!
Ok ok i'll calm down, they're not as loud as you lot i went out with from Manchester, and definitely quieter than lostagain's.

I don't think my cans are all that loud, not quite legal but not too daft. Saying that, I've only ever heard them when I've been sitting on it. I'll have to get someone to take it up the road at some point. Apparantly I wake up my flat mate every morning when I leave for work. Oops!

Wabbitkilla
05-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Sorry, with the best will in the world, i couldn't recommend these to anyone.

I'm fed up with the link pipes coming loose because they still don't fit properly.
Now i've found one of the cans is leaking from the joint between the sleeve and the end piece at the back. This is one of the reasons why i replaced my originals!

So, I'll see if they'll take them back and get my hard earned back.
A pity as they sounded great and added good character to the bike.

I've now found Sareshack ar having that sale and i've got a pair of Ducati Performance road cans on the way, i'll see what they're like.

Sorry Carbon Can Co. - great sounding product, poor quality (in my experience)

Zimbo
05-08-2005, 07:32 PM
The DP cans should be good. They're made by Remus, and I had Remus cans on my 900SS, sounded fantastic and were really well made.
They are marked not for road use, just under the exhaust outlet ports, but it's only etched on really shallow and you can easily remove it with something like T-cut :p

A Yerbury
05-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Sorry, with the best will in the world, i couldn't recommend these to anyone.

I'm fed up with the link pipes coming loose because they still don't fit properly.
Now i've found one of the cans is leaking from the joint between the sleeve and the end piece at the back. This is one of the reasons why i replaced my originals!

So, I'll see if they'll take them back and get my hard earned back.
A pity as they sounded great and added good character to the bike.

I've now found Sareshack ar having that sale and i've got a pair of Ducati Performance road cans on the way, i'll see what they're like.

Sorry Carbon Can Co. - great sounding product, poor quality (in my experience)

leaking? a can? just get an exhaust clamp that connects the head pipes to the slip on pipe? It's a pimped up jubilee clip but It keeps things nice and air tight.

Wabbitkilla
06-08-2005, 10:14 AM
leaking? a can? just get an exhaust clamp that connects the head pipes to the slip on pipe? It's a pimped up jubilee clip but It keeps things nice and air tight.

No, you mis-understand, or i explained it wrong.
It's the riveted end piece with the outlet in it. It's leaking between the joint of the sleeve and end piece. The only hing that'll fix that would be to drill out the rivets, slip out the end piece, clean everything up making sure theres no packing sneaking through, then wham it all back together.

All this works for two month old cans?

A Yerbury
06-08-2005, 02:36 PM
ahhhh je vous comprend, that is a bit shabby, very shabby in fact.

Wabbitkilla
09-08-2005, 02:44 PM
DP Cans have arrived on the scene and are now attached - phew, took some work getting the new spacers in the hangers, but i'm there now.

Can't tell who made them, only markings are E3 xxxxxx, there's a certificate with them quoting manufacture in 1999 (everything's in Italian).

Sound nice - about the same as the CarbonCanCo. but much better construction. Stainless and Oval too!