PDA

View Full Version : Engine snatch at low revs. Can it be cured?

Yellow Rob
05-06-2005, 12:10 AM
I think all Monsters do it but can it be cured? Country lanes, low-revs, at anything less than 3000 it's like being on a pogo stick. Bike is standard 750 with well balanced carbs and new plugs.

Will re-jetting, different air filter help? Or is it simply that Ducati have sacrificed low end flexibility to allow "relatively" high revving engine? :confused:

gary tompkins
05-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Rob,

This tends to be a problem with a lot of the earlier monsters, and my own M600 was pretty snatchy at low revs. I think its mainly due to backlash in the transmission and less than perfect carburation from the standard mikunis.

It can be improved on with carefull setting up, I'm sure mine ran better after fitting a dynojet kit + K&N filter and general tweaking, but the snatch was always there to a certain degree especially when the bike was still warming up.

Another thing worth checking is that the chains in good condition and not too slack, and that the cush drive in the rear wheel isn't worn. I also found keeping the throttle cables well lubed/adjusted gave me more feel, and helped me to apply the power more gently at low speeds.

Some of the guys have binned the standard carbs & fitted flat slides, mainly to improve performance. Not sure if they also gained any improvement with throttle response at low revs as well?

Zimbo
05-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I think Gary's pretty much covered it here, I was going to comment on chain tension and cush drives as well, check those before embarking on expensive tuning. Another likely cause is carb balance, if that's out it will contribute to poor even running / surging, and vibration. Worn jets and needles in the carbs could be another factor. I'd say that even running at 2/3K rpm shouldn't be any problem really.
I'm seriously considering a pair of 41mm FCRs on my 900, along with 11.1:1 high compression pistons, and would be interested to hear any comments on low speed /rpm driveabilityfrom people who've used them?

Unit 18
06-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Check that you've got the right gearing as they've changed the sprocket sizes. Don't know what year your's is but after 98 the rear sprocket went from 38 to 41 teeth. Big difference!
Al.

A Yerbury
06-06-2005, 09:35 AM
stick a 14 tooth on the front, cheap and you will no longer judder when starting or low revs on roundabouts etc, bike will pull better lower down and you will loose a teeny bit at the top end.
Alex

cheeky monkey
06-06-2005, 09:43 AM
14 tooth front sprocket worked on mine as previous post states

Rockhopper
06-06-2005, 10:46 AM
How well does the 14 tooth sprocket work on an M600 then? I've done it on my ST4 and love it bits.

A Yerbury
06-06-2005, 11:32 AM
so good it should have been standard, smooth and solid.

Alex.

Rockhopper
06-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Right then, thats another £20 to spend!