PDA

View Full Version : Where do i buy a piston from???

ianjoyce
31-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi all i've just bought a 94 m600 which has done 25,000 miles. I've got a quite harsh knocking from the front cylinder which sound like piston slap to me,It does seem to disapear when i'm riding it, it just happens when you blip the throttle from idel. So i phoned my local Ducati dealer down here in sunny sunny Dorset to find out how much a pair of over size pistons would be. They said they don't sell over sized pistons???? Can you not rebore the cylinders?? i'm just trying to do some research before i strip the motor some point in the future. Any help would be great. cheers Ian

Pedro
31-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Ducati don't sell pistons, only barrel and piston kts at about £500!! That's each....

You could try Fleabay or someone like California Cycle Works (they do pistons for 900s, not sure about 600s though).

Having said that, a few peeps on here have mentioned the noise so might be worth having a traw through the engine section of the forum.

Ped

Zimbo
31-05-2005, 10:08 PM
The barrels aren't rebored because they're nickasil plated. It's very unlikely you'll have any significant wear on them.
If you want new pistons your best bet is perhaps to buy some aftermarket ones from someone like Fast by Ferecci?
Alternatively, go on the Ducati Sporting Site and ask in the Desmodue forum if any of the racers have some spare pistons - quite a few of the race bikes have had big bore kits fitted.
Be aware that there are two versions of the 600 engine, a pre 1997 and post 1997, and the pistons and barrels are not interchangeable.
(If I've got any of this wrong feel free to correct me anybody!!!)

ianjoyce
31-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Cheers, i'll look in to it, it does sound quite harsh but i'm not to worried as it goes away when i'm riding it. I did do a search earlier on the forum and found a thread which sounded like the same noise, I'm well pleased with the bike though it pulls like a train....cheers Ian

Zimbo
31-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Just noticed you're in Blandford, and therefore not too far from Louigi Moto, if you're worried take it over and Rich Llewellen would sort you out one way or the other I'm sure.

http://www.louigimoto.co.uk/

A Yerbury
31-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Cheers, i'll look in to it, it does sound quite harsh but i'm not to worried as it goes away when i'm riding it. I did do a search earlier on the forum and found a thread which sounded like the same noise, I'm well pleased with the bike though it pulls like a train....cheers Ian

did read that it is to do with the pistons being cast not forged or vice versa, really only the early 600 s (like mine) loud exhausts kill it a bit and it is more of a cold weather thing with mine. the 680 kit includes the usual piston, rings and barrells but new they are about 600 quid? Give baines racing a bell as they were getting some. more oompf, no noise and less money in the pocket but then you can't take it with you as they say.

Alex.

Unit 18
01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
If its any consolation most of the earlier 600's develop this at some time in their life. Although it sounds horrible I personally don't know of any actually breaking through this.
As others have said you would need to buy the piston and barrel together (they come in three sizes A B C ) but there is no gaurantee that it won't happen again.
Regards, Al.

CK & AK
01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Contrary to earlier opinions, Std pistons ARE available for the M600's - about £90 (plus the dreaded) each - but you have to buy the pair. If your Ducati dealer says you cant get them, then get back to me as I have part numbers & more info for you, on the later M600's

For a big bore kit (if thats what you want) try JHP at Coventry, but they aint cheap(RRP over £800, but deals can be done)
This kit will just give you better mid range compression, not bottom or top - as they were designed for the road ONLY. In some cases, you will even lose HP on the bike.

There are 2 different big bore kits for the M600's, but there are NONE available for post 98 bikes (believe me, I know!), only for the pre 98 M600's. As has been said, they are not easily interchangeable.
Again - I can give you full info on how to empty your pockets of dosh, on how to make an early kit fit - but it isnt easy or cheap. (use existing barrels, bore them out, line them with Nicasil, fit the pistons, then more work to barrells - like machining etc...... )

Piston slap is a common sound from older bikes, some of which go on for ever (or so it seems!)

HTIOH

C :)

rich
01-06-2005, 09:25 PM
hi there

try here:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10448&item=7964403312

Hope this helps( this chap is a top man and a good seller, imo)

rich

A Yerbury
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Possibly, however the noise is not a fault but an unpleasant characteristic of the 600 piston up untill 01.. this piston comes from the same mother and left the womb at the same time ergo it will still make the dreaded knock. I no longer have the link but pedals (pedro) and space, I think have the url for the dyno guy in the states with the various engine comments on the dukes, a very interesting loo read.

Alex.

Unit 18
02-06-2005, 06:32 AM
You can indeed buy the pistons seperately but the trouble is you can't specify an A,B or C size. Also all the ones I've seen have scored the barrels.
The sizes are stamped on the top of the barrel and on the piston crown..
Al.

A Yerbury
02-06-2005, 08:19 AM
give lee a call, as rich says he is a very helpful chap and knows his onions.
Alex.

ianjoyce
02-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Cheers for all the replies. It's the first Ducati i've owned, i've always heard that the motors where noisey but i was just a little worried. I'm goin to ride it for the summer and see how it goes/sounds, if it's still bugging me i'll most likely invest in a bore up kit. first i'm goin to invest in some louder ex cans so they drown out the knocking!!! Cheers Ian

Ratchet
02-06-2005, 09:32 PM
might be worth getting carbs balanced by someone who knows what there doing with ducati`s. mine used to make a horrendous noise till i got it tuned by pro, and it was originally set up on a dyno tester.

Lost Again
03-06-2005, 07:36 AM
Mine was making some damn funky noises last summer so after mucho research into getting the barrels rebored and coated with some pistons to match and all the rest of it I ended up going for the DP big bore kit. takes it out from 583cc to 674 if I'm not mistaken. Got mine from M&S in newcastle and paid about £730 I think including new gaskets, belts and everything else to put it back together. Seems to give it a fair bit more poke but mines still on stock jetting so hopefully with new jets it'll be even better.