PDA

View Full Version : "WARNING" on split links

cheeky monkey
31-05-2005, 04:00 PM
was looking at the back tyre when i noticed the chain didnt look right :confused: . when i checked the split link had lost its clip. :eek: :eek: it dosnt bare thinking about if it had let go so please folks make sure yours is ok. have rung ducati john and he says bring it straight round :lol: and anyway it should not have a split link anyway, it should be riveted so be warned. thanks tony

Fodder
31-05-2005, 04:19 PM
From an engineering background I would have to say provided a split link has been fitted correctly and the chain is well maintained it will give you no problem, I have used them on bikes that put out a lot more BHP than my Ducati. On the other hand a badly fitted "soft rivet" link is much more of a liability than any split link chain. True a continous chain is desirable on a motorcycle for obvious reasons but it should be fitted using the correct tooling. I had one fitted to a Kawasaki by my ex local dealer and the rivets had been suaged over to the point of splitting (ball pein hammer job methinks).
So watch out :cool:

cheeky monkey
31-05-2005, 04:26 PM
ducati john has the correct riveting tool . i cant say if the split link was fitted correctly or not as i hav,nt had to change the chain yet. i just want to warn others to have a quick check all is well. it only takes a second. ;)

Fodder
31-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Yep. Good advice.