PDA

View Full Version : immobiliser not working

Terry
31-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Help required for a new Monster 1000 owner who knows nothing. Before I bought it, I had a test ride on a used one and when the ignition was switched on both tacho and speedo needles swung round and back. Now I’ve got mine, I’ve read in the Owner’s Manual that the instrument panel carries out a check of all instruments with the needles swinging round and back. All my instruments work but the needles don’t swing round, although they do twitch slightly. I mentioned it when I collected the bike but the guy didn’t make any comment so is this a fault? The other thing that doesn’t work is the immobiliser. The orange immobiliser light flashes briefly when ignition is switched on but then goes out, so bulb is working. When the ignition is off the orange light never flashes so I assume the immobiliser is not set. I’ve read in the manual how to disable the immobiliser but not how to set it.
It’s no use asking Daytona, where I got the bike from, as it looks like the only thing they did for a pdi was put oil in it. On the way home the left mirror swung round because the nut wasn’t tightened; the steering lock pin did not engage when on left lock because the stop peg wasn’t set right; the tyre pressures were 37psi F & 42psi R; it cuts out when coming to a stop and I think the idle speed is too low. Apart from that it goes great and I love it already! (I won’t be taking it back to Daytona for a service though.)
Any comments much appreciated.
Terry

slob
31-05-2005, 03:29 PM
It’s no use asking Daytona
hmmm.
Rosso Corse have good reports if you come back down this way(although you may want a Ducati franchise for warranty purposes)
I'm sure someone will point you at a shop closer to Peterborough.

PaulS
31-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Yes, the speedo and tacho needles should sweep around the dial when you first turn on the ignition. All the warning lights in the cluster should also come on whilst the needles sweep round. The immobiliser light should flash continuously when the ignition is off (it stops if you don't turn on the ignition for a couple of days). I don't believe you can enable or disable the immobiliser by any means other than using the ignition key which has a transponder in it. It sounds as if Daytona have lived down to their reputation once again - you should kick up a stink and complain to Ducati UK as well. I can understand your reluctance to go back to Daytona but why should some other dealer have to pick up warranty work on Daytona's behalf because of their negligence?

CK & AK
31-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Terry, its new - so take it straight back to the dealer & get them to put it right.

If you cant face the same dealer - then you must go to an 'authorised dealer', as any other bike shop will not be covered for doing any warranty work.
(eg: if they make any probs worse, then Ducati wont honour any warranty).

Sticky prob, but easy to solve, just check out a list of dealers on Ducati Uk's site.

Good luck,

C :)

Spanner
01-06-2005, 05:32 AM
You said the magic word 'Daytona'. I've never heard a good thing about them. Good luck and I hope you get everything sorted asap.

Doug

JMo
01-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Terry - I had the same problem after my clocks were changed, I understand there is a procedure to 'programme' them to the ECU (which my dealer changed, unnecessarily I might had - thank goodness the insurance was paying for that) - the lumpy running/cutting out may be that the bike is running in a 'get you home' mode - mine was almost unridable at low speed, like the ignition was cutting out...

Basically the ECU and clocks need to be set up and coded together, for the specific bike they are fitted to - perhaps one or both of these items had been changed prior to you collecting the bike? If you speak to Ducati UK, and the aftersales manager for your region, they should be able to help...

xxx

Terry
02-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice and I appreciate it has to go to a Duc dealer for warranty work. I suppose I was hoping someone would say you press this button and it's fixed - but that was wishful thinking. I don't expect a mass produced item to be always 100% right off the production line and the warranty covers any defects. What has pisssed me off is when the bike was first switched on at Daytona I noticed the needles didn't sweep round like on the year-old bike I had a ride on. I asked the guy, who I think was one of the Directors of the firm and he dismissed the subject. I really can't trust Daytona with it; they let me take it away with a known fault and clearly hadn't done a pdi.
I now think it may be an intermittent fault because on 2 occasions the needles have swept round but then the orange light has remained on and locked out the ignition. Turning it off and on the needles don't sweep round but the orange light goes out as before and it starts.
(still a great bike though!)

Terry
09-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Spot on JMo, my immobiliser now works and the clocks do the sweep thing. A great bike is now greater. :)