PDA

View Full Version : brake bleeding

peteS4
29-05-2005, 05:10 PM
ok, what am i not doing right, or is it due to something needing replacing, i'm trying to bleed to back brake and it doesnt want to, it wont push to fluid through the system, i've checked all the banjo bolts and they are tight, checked for leaks and there arent any, i even brought an easy bleed kit and it still wont bleed the system, i striped it down, cleaned it all up, refitted it, tried again... nothing, i even tried to prime the system first... nothing, i tried it empty to see if i had an air lock... nothing,

does it sound like i need a new master or am i not seeing the way its done

crust
29-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Try doing it in stages.

Warning, cover all paint areas as brake fluid will kill paint.

Undo the brake line banjo bolt at the master cylinder end, give the lever a pump and see if any comes out. That will tell you if the master cylinder is pumping.

Once you've got that, do the banjo up and undo the one at the caliper, pump again to see if the fluid is getting down the line.

If thats fine, tighten it and undo the bleed nipple and see if its getting there.

I took my whole rear system off and bled it with the caliper hanging up.

It took a few goes, they can be a bitch.

:) Crust

bod
29-05-2005, 05:32 PM
1. Remove fliud resiviour top so air can get in to replace the fliud you are trying to remove.
2.Open bleed nipple and off you go
Should't be a problem (have you tried bleeding manualy by pressing the brake)?

peteS4
29-05-2005, 05:43 PM
bod, i've done it as you have said, in fact i've tried it in everyway......

crust
29-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Either the master cylinder isnt pumping or there's an airlock.

Try undoing each section, that way you'll find where the problem is.

peteS4
29-05-2005, 05:56 PM
i'll give it another go later, it does squirt a little bit out but wont build up any pressure.......... the peddle goes all the way down on every stroke. it spits fluid out rather than pump it out

fatbloke
29-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Either the master cylinder isnt pumping or there's an airlock.

Try undoing each section, that way you'll find where the problem is.

I'm with Crust on this, start with the master cylinder then do the caliper itself

Zimbo
29-05-2005, 06:33 PM
If you have access to a syringe, fit a pipe to the nipple and the syringe to the other end of the pipe, and suck the fluid through as you pump the brake lever. Never failed me yet ...

peteS4
29-05-2005, 07:37 PM
no but i'm sure if i pop into my local hospital and tell them i'm a druggie i'll get all the free ones i want

Pedro
29-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I had the same problem Pete, I ended up concocting a sealed lid for the reservoir that I could apply air pressure too with a foot pump. Opened the bleed nipple, the blew fluid through.

Ped

Spike
29-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Pete is the caliper underslung if so move to the top of the disc so the air is rising to the top and can exit via the bleed nipple

peteS4
29-05-2005, 09:46 PM
its mounted on the top, its on an m600, it just wont pull fluid down from the res above, it pumps air down the pipe to the calliper but just doesnt seem to want to suck it down into the master clinder in order to push it through

A Yerbury
29-05-2005, 09:55 PM
mine was a pig, silly question but you are keeping the lever pressed (silly question but I had to ask) after all the fuss and goodridge I still never use the thing.
Alex.

peteS4
29-05-2005, 10:31 PM
yes, but to get it through the sysyem to start with it says open nipple and pump it, no matter whether the nipple is shut, open all bits tight or parts open, it just wont pull it down from the res even though it pumps air and spits at the nipple end

gary tompkins
29-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Pete,

You may already be doing this, but this is my method...

You need to open nipple on the downstroke of the pedal, then quickly close the nipple again before letting the pedal return. This way you force air/fluid out creating a vaccum in the system, which draws the fluid down into the master cylinder from the reservoir.

If you leave the bleed nipple open the fluid/air wil just get sucked back into the caliper on the return stroke of the pedal. Once you get enough fluid into the line and caliper the bleeding should get a lot easier.

Also you need to make sure the end of the plastic pipe (connected to bleed nipple) is immersed in a few inches of hydraulic fluid in a jar, which again helps to stop air being drawn back into the system from that end. Keep a close eye on the fluid level in the resevoir, it soon empties after a few pumps and will suck air if you let the level drop too low.

Best of luck

A Yerbury
30-05-2005, 07:09 PM
yes, but to get it through the sysyem to start with it says open nipple and pump it, no matter whether the nipple is shut, open all bits tight or parts open, it just wont pull it down from the res even though it pumps air and spits at the nipple end

yes but thats wrong! its just going back and forth...valve closed -proper tight- pump the lever a few times forcing it out of the master, hold it down or have a zip tie wodeva holding it down, then open bleed valve slightly, then close..repeat for ever....g luck.

ps ignore this attachment, it's just a flag.

peteS4
30-05-2005, 08:08 PM
did it...... had to force the fluid through the system from the res end till it bubbled out the bleed nipple...... then bled it as norm..... sodding thing, all done now, thanks guys

Little Monster
01-08-2005, 08:23 PM
......I think it's just an excuse for all you men to say nipple

gary tompkins
01-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I prefer TEAT - it has a nice ring to it... or should that be through it??

birchie
02-08-2005, 07:54 AM
mornin pete,

This may sound like a stupid question 'if it is i'll shut up n go away' but have you tried pushing the piston into the caliper and then tried the bleeding process. I spent hours once tryin to bleed the calipers on a Hornet couldn't get it to work after fitting new hoses did this and it worked.

good luck

Birchie

gary tompkins
02-08-2005, 03:11 PM
did it...... had to force the fluid through the system from the res end till it bubbled out the bleed nipple...... then bled it as norm..... sodding thing, all done now, thanks guys

Birchie,

Pete fixed it back in May - it's an old thread resurrected by Little Monster

Usefull tip though ;)