PDA

View Full Version : Fan coming on constantly

jamie
26-05-2005, 09:30 AM
2001 S4, the fan comes on when I turn the ignition on from cold, sometimes goes off after a few seconds, but its starting to stay on longer. This morning stayed on consantly.

Started happening after the rear cylinder base gasket was replaced at dealer.

Any ideas?

Cheers

NattyBoy
26-05-2005, 09:39 AM
May be the ECU..my mates 998s had these symptoms and the ECU was the culprit..

ANother thought..may be the temperature sender sensor..?

Nat

bod
26-05-2005, 05:12 PM
If the heed has been off check the wiring sounds like a pinched wire in the area where they were working.Presuming the fan is switched earth

peteS4
26-05-2005, 06:56 PM
you lucky sod..... i've NEVER heard or seen mine come on... makes me wonder if its at fault............ or i have a sweet engine !!!!!

bod
26-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Maybe he rides his hard :) ;)

Scotty
26-05-2005, 07:16 PM
just leave it on tick over for 5 mins
it al come on , suprisingly how quickly unless your watching

peteS4
26-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Maybe he rides his hard :) ;)

mate, i ride mine like i stole it........full throttle everywhere, just ask chappers. i cant ride it slow... anywhere :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Scotty
26-05-2005, 08:07 PM
i think you would have to be doing something absolutly mental to get the fans to power on whilst rideing, like full throttel as you say but on the equator

im obviously a slow rider with hughe chicken strips an all and am 20 degrees below the fans comming on whilst moveing, its sitting in trafic that does it

A Yerbury
26-05-2005, 08:50 PM
mate, i ride mine like i stole it........full throttle everywhere, just ask chappers. i cant ride it slow... anywhere :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

what? ride it like you stole it? so you shunt it down the road, with a disc lock on as your chavvy mate herds you into the back of his bedford?

Alex.xxxxxxxxxxx

bod
26-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Just teasing Pete :lol:
By the way did you steal it?

A Yerbury
26-05-2005, 11:03 PM
fans? on a motorcycle? how daft.

Alex.

Chappers
27-05-2005, 08:43 AM

But that's because you did steal it Pete :lol:

Yup, the inconsiderate b@stard buggers off ahead leaving me to eat his dust but he's like a loyal dog and always comes back...probably coz he needs feeding :rolleyes: :lol:

He doesn't know how to ride slow, thinks it's a 'twist n go' :bunny:

DesmoDog
27-05-2005, 08:50 AM
I've never had a Fan coming on constantly to me. I hear Peter Andre wishes it was happening again though.... Boom boom, you see what I did there? I... hmm TAXI!

slob
27-05-2005, 08:53 AM
So, couldn't one of you with a working fan just tell Pete what temp. it comes on at or doesn't the S4 have a temp. guage(I seem to remember seeing new style clocks on yours Pete). Failing that come down to London for a day, the traffic will soon send the temp. through the roof. I've been out in summer with Rich on his S4R and his fan does a great job of cooling the water cooled motor while my oil temp goes sky high once we slow down into heavy traffic.

Scotty
27-05-2005, 11:53 AM
fan comes on at 92 degres centigrade ish on my bike

PaulS
27-05-2005, 01:59 PM
On my 2002 S4 the right-hand fan used to come on at about 103c and the left around 105c. They would switch off again when the temperature had dropped below about 100c. These temperatures were only ever reached at low speed (i.e. crawling traffic)in hot weather. "Normal" running temperature was between 68c and about 85c depending on the ambient temperature. When you first switch the ignition on both fans used to come on for a couple of seconds as part of the self-test procedure.