PDA

View Full Version : Tyres information

welshman
25-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Hello everyone

i need new set of tyres/ and with the track day coming up this month , just woundering if anyone knows what Avon viper sports are like

cheers
John

Danny
25-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Black & round!

welshman
25-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Cheers mate
should have seen that coming my way

nice one

Mr Cake
25-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I have no idea what the Avon Deathmasters are like, but Metzeler Rennsports are my hoop of choice. They're pretty cheap now too.

Dave

welshman
25-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Avon Deathmaters dont sound good
now im scared !!!

john

Mr Cake
25-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Haha! They're on the up, but they used to be crap. Pick up a copy of this week's MCN, they're testing tyres... Just for you :D

Dave

welshman
25-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Cheers Di
will do

Mr Cake
25-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Good lad. The Avons are tested but I don't think they appear in the top three of any category. Mainly Pirelli and Metzeler (same company) taking the honours.

Dave

TP-996
25-05-2005, 12:39 PM
What do you want to use the tyres for mainly? 98% road use and 2% on the track? Commuting? Is wet weather performance important to you? Mileage?

If that was the case I'd recommend something more along the lines of a standard Pirelli Diablo. As you move up the Diablo range (Diablo Corsa, SuperCorsa) you lose the silica content in the tyre which reduces your wet weather performance. You gain more grip to the point where the SuperCorsa's (Rennsports) have no tread on the edges and at lean they are effectively slicks. Give awesome grip but no good with any standing water.

The track performance of the standard diablo is amazing. I race in the Desmo Due series on a 620 monster and we have a control tyre which is the standard diablo. I would also call myself a 'fast group' track day rider and I can't tell the difference between the grip afforded by the Diablo Corsa's I have on my 996 (and SuperCorsa's before them) and the standard Diablo's. They are grippy enough for us mortals, offer better life and are cheaper.

Mr Cake
25-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Throw him a pair of your old ones cheap, TP. Sounds like they'll be right up his street.

Dave

TP-996
25-05-2005, 01:01 PM
If they are for an S4 they'll be too small I think. 180 rear on an S4?

If Lin isn't selling a set at the moment I'm more than happy to sell mine to anyone. I'll be fitting a new set for the UKMOC track day so the current ones (no wear in the middle!) will be available for whomever wants them.

Front tyre is worn off the edge :D Although with the geometry on my bike (it's lifted a lot) you runout of front before you are off the edge of the rear. So there's 2mm chicken strips on the back :( But she turns quick!

welshman
25-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Dave

cheers mate , if i want tyres which are squared off in the middle you can send me yours down hee hee

TP
Cheers 4 the info , your right 98% road 2% track
i try and do 2 - 3 track dayz a year tops mainly i like a tyre which gives a good allround performance plenty of Grip .my riding style is smooth ish and firm

Pirells , i think will do the job have been quoted £185 fitted i guess thats standard pirells :D
sounds ok ?

john

TP-996
25-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Nah - you can get cheaper than that bt I have no idea where Tamworth is. That's New South Wales isn't it? :D

You can see from my avatar I aint from 'round these parts!

Try Steve at www.wraysburytyres.co.uk He should be able to something a bit better than that. He's based in Chertsey and is a memeber of the Ducati Sporting Club.

Edited to add: I'm off now but try Steve. I'll check back here tomorrow.

JMo
25-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Micheldever Tyres (Wilts) quoted me £155.90 for a pair of Diablos (that's 120/70 front and 180/55 rear) fitted to loose wheels - so use that as a bargining tool - anything inbetween would be a pretty good deal - you should be paying around £170 a pair with not much bartering...

xxx

Zimbo
25-05-2005, 05:39 PM
I like the diablos too, for road and track, and they're a decent price and wear well. I pay £160 a pair fitted to loose wheels (Protyre).

Phoenix
26-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Pirelli Diablos - without question. Great tyres.
Try robsom racing (link in sig) He does good value tyres - tell him Lin from monsters sent you.

welshman
26-05-2005, 07:40 AM
thanks to everyone for the help / comments, i got some thing to bench mark against now
cheers all

john