PDA

View Full Version : S2r

geecy1
23-05-2005, 10:01 PM
What a bike, realy smooth torquee motor and great tight box. Handles well and is a fantastic town bike as the clutch is light and doesnt rattle like my multistrada did. Exept for the fact that its a little fiddly engaging neutral i cant fault this bike even holding it at a ton( so ive been told officer) didnt cause any discomfort, less buffeting than my Fazer thou, the small fly screen does more than you would think,im in love.

Monstar
24-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Couldn't agree more. I got my S2R three weeks ago and I can't get enough of it! Ok, only have my old bike to compare it to (an old GS500), but it's like night and day. And it looks very sexy...

:burnout:

Banshee
24-05-2005, 07:28 AM
My converts, to the S2R side.

Melnie Mouse
24-05-2005, 08:10 AM
I agree I love it too, just wish the brakes could be better, is there anything than can be done cheaply apart from sintered pads that will help?

Banshee
24-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Well my brakes work fine.

geecy1
24-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Mine are o.k maybe you should get them checked.

s2r Simon
24-05-2005, 09:12 PM
I am completely mad about my S2R (1st bike) and even the few "snags" I have had since owning it have not curved my enthusiasm. I have had it for 5 weeks and I am having the tank, seat and whole rear braking system changed under warranty !! Still I love it and I can't wait to get some termis on it when I can afford them.

bod
24-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Wahatt has happened to your tank and seat you can't break those in 5 weeks?

s2r Simon
24-05-2005, 10:43 PM
the staples from under the seat that secure the leather have dug in to the tank and chipped the paint away. It is only visible when the seat is removed but would rust quickly so the dealer is getting a new tank and seat for me !! Oh I forgot I also lost one of the exhaust bolts 2 weeks after getting the bike.

Banshee
24-05-2005, 11:27 PM
if the paint has chipped its chipped and you should get new, but i dont think your tank will rust in a hurry. :rolleyes:

s2r Simon
24-05-2005, 11:38 PM
Are tank pads really useful ? I have managed to find one that I will probably fit to the new tank but i am a bit concerned about ruining the look as the stripe does not run in the middle.

Banshee
24-05-2005, 11:46 PM
get a clear one...? is it me???

s2r Simon
24-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Hadn't thought of that, cheers !!

Dave G
25-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Great bikes.Stylish aaand practical! :D

Monstar, your only a few miles away from me,and with the same colour scheme,the cool one!
I've a sneaking suspicion that bike you got was originally for me but I couldnt pick mine up earlier than I'd planned....so Rab sold it :eek: ...possibly to you ;)

DrBob
25-05-2005, 09:11 PM
The only faults I can find with it are the **** poor brakes and the aerodynamics.

The front end goes a bit light at about 90 and I had the front wheel lift a fair way over the top of a small hill on the motorway whilst going a rate. The brakes do thier job at stoping it but they have little amounts of feedback so a radial master cylinder is first and failing that 4 pot calipers.

Also I might phone Ducati about a new tank as the paint has chiped some under the seat aswell, I just stuck some tape over the staples so it's not that bad.

Banshee
25-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Well i love mine...

What you think of Elmo's single can? (SEE MY TAIL CHOP THREAD). I like the two myself.

JMo
26-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Are tank pads really useful ? I have managed to find one that I will probably fit to the new tank but i am a bit concerned about ruining the look as the stripe does not run in the middle.

To be honest, unless you have a Prince Albert and make a habit of riding naked regularly, you shouldn't have a problem with the tank scratching in front of you - they are more for sports bikes (and Chavs) with a humped tank...

xxx

A Yerbury
26-05-2005, 12:24 AM
what is a tank pad? like a tank protector? they are so stylish, particularly the ones with the st george cross and motrax in nice big letters....If you feel the need I would get clear or carbon. Although as Bea says most decent bike clothing does not have exposed zips (in fact she did not say this at all, she was a bit rude) so you are unlikely to scratch your tank. It just means that one has an ugly thing on the bike that when removed, at the point of selling-on "hey look, the tank has been protected from the spikes that stick out of my chest!" yes it has....only you now have two tone paintwork where the tank was protected from the uv?!

Alex.

ps Maybe ignore me as I have ac cobra stripes made out of homebase fablon.....

A Yerbury
26-05-2005, 12:28 AM
pps.At least I did get said fablon down the centre of the bike! ...unlike those crazy design rebels at Ducati who have turned motorcycle styling on its head with their off centre ways.

Alex.

Monstar
26-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Dave G, think you might be right!!! I was desperate to get my hands on the bike and they said you didn't need yours quickly. Hope you don't mind too much!!

Dave G
26-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Hope your enjoying it Monstar,I even sat on it in the shop,cos it was mine at the time :lol: .
Would you have gone for the black one if it wasnt in the showroom?,at the time it was the only black bike in scotland( and now theres two only ten miles apart),the red and white ones look really good....but cleaning white wheels would be a daily chore I couldn't be bothered with.
.....now to start making this one mine!,clear cambelt covers are in the garage waiting to be fitted and the cat must die!,but only after its fully run in.
As much as fruity pipes appeal I havent seen any that look nicer than the standard ones,....wonder if I should get them cored?
I have a M750 dark in the garage and it has occurred to me that a straight swop of brakes systems might be an option,but as I'm trying to sell that i dont want to affect its value too much.

Monstar
26-05-2005, 12:21 PM
You sat on it :mad: ! To be honest I thought Robert was a bit cheeky giving it to me early but I was most glad. I had gone in thinking that I would get a red 620 but when I seen the black S2R I knew it had to be it. I toyed with the idea of the red but the white wheels put me right off - I had just sold a GS500 with white wheels and they were a nightmare. They look crap as well I think. I've not done anything to mines (yet). Going in for first service on Saturday so after that I'll think about changes (those mirrors! etc). Thinking about cans but you're right, I haven't seen anything else around that looks great yet. The guys in the shop were trying to talk me into low level pipes but I'll stick with these for the moment. This is only my 2nd bike and passed my test last year so not doing anything too trick to it just yet! Might look at the braking if they don't get better with bedding in - they aren't terrible but just don't stop me as fast as I'd like sometimes. I'm a bit (totally if truth be told :o ) clueless in the mechanics department so I'll be asking you loads of questions no doubt!

Dave G
26-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm no great mechanic,but basic stuff I'm happy to do.
One of the downsides of S2R's (and S4R's too I think) is a tool to adjust the chain is not in the toolkit and this means a trip to the dealer to do this,I thought that a bit mean,though I have a c-spanner from my other bike that fits.

Oh,and the easiest mod to make to improve the look of your bike?

....remove the pillion pegs!
this also puts off passengers trying to muscle in on your cool!! ;)

Nosme
27-05-2005, 11:23 AM
:burnout:
Hi everyone. I am new here, and also a new Ducati owner. I bought a S2R about 2 weeks ago and already just know this is going to be a great bike!
Mine is the Tangerine and black one,......very tasty.
Regards to all and ride safe. ;)

Monstar
27-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi Nosme, you're in similar company then because this is my first Ducati too!

Dave, been meaning to take the rear pegs off since I got it but just never got round to it. As for changing anything that involves any sort of technical know-how, I'll do the girly thing and get a bloke to do it ( :lol: only half joking about that one!). Yeah, and I'll be chinning the Glasgow mob tomorrow about the lack of chain adjusting tool as well! Do you know if there are any Monster runs planned in our part of the world - they all seem to be down South, or Aberdeen!

Scotty
27-05-2005, 12:49 PM
can only be 2 hours to Aberdeen, having said that its only an hour hour n half to glasgow from here , and i still haven bothered with that one ho humm

Dave G
27-05-2005, 04:47 PM
I am thinking about the aberdeen run,but as I'm off to Italy tomorrow for a week it may be difficult for me to get time....and fit in a first service beforehand.
I managed to hire a monster last time I went which would have been the most exciting thing I'd done if driving in Italy wasn't so bloody scary!!!! :eek:

Monster runs in our part of the world are planned by those with monsters who live around here.....
....that'll be us then. :D
It'll take a lot longer than two hours from here to get to aberdeenshire,I used to live in Dundee and it was two hours to get there,Aberdeen's a further 2 hours.I'm sure Andy on the Dsc site mentioned meeting at the Spittal of glenshee,marvellous country, but cant be taken at any huge speeds,and is not ideal for sportsbikes-I know cos I went there a couple of years back on my 916-though maybe he has a few surprises up there.
I have a queue of kids and wife to take them out on the back too but have managed to fob everyone off so far,but dont know how long I can hold out. :twisted:

Chalky
27-05-2005, 09:00 PM
What a hoot,,,, I have a 1 week old S2R in Red & White.
Still smiling about it every day!!
I love the white wheels, mainly 'cos that's all I've known for last 5 years of GSXr's.
Went to Wesson's last week-end (local bike cafe) parked up, got a coffee, returned to bike to find a healthy gang of admirers....... that's what Ducati is all about !!
Any members around Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge area ?
Chalky
'May the Force Not See You'

JMo
27-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Any members around Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge area ?

There's quite a bunch in Kent - check the Regional section if you haven't already - 'Bob' is the rep there...

Also, there should be a bunch of us heading your way on BH Monday - en route to Camber Sands - will be passing through Tenterden about middayish if you fancy a pub lunch and an ice cream...

xxx

Monstar
31-05-2005, 07:19 AM
Yup, Aberdeen too far for me for a day trip Dave. Enjoy Italy, I'm off to Spain next week for the Catalunya MotoGP - flying alas, not brave enough for that ride just yet!

As for pillions, just take yer pegs off and put your foot down - just say no! :lol:

DesmoDog
31-05-2005, 10:09 AM
I managed to hire a monster last time I went which would have been the most exciting thing I'd done if driving in Italy wasn't so bloody scary!!!! :eek:

Dave, you have to drive like an Italian then all is well. That said, when I was blasting around Palermo last month almost all the accidents I saw (and there were a few) involved motorbikes. You should try Athens mate, now thats fun! Where did you hire the monnie, I know of CIMT, but they are not very reliable. Can you post number, website?

Dave G
06-06-2005, 10:04 AM
DesmoD,I hired the monster in Sorrento,dont actually remember the name of the firm though it was on the main road through Sorrento,but as i walked past their office they had a big list of vehicles,mostly scooters and cars I immedietely noticed the monster pictured on it.
Didnt see any around Garda this year,scooters quads and harleys,so stayed in my air conditioned car watching the sportsbikes zoom past me.

DesmoDog
06-06-2005, 10:59 AM
cheers Dave, I'm in Bergamont at the end of next month and I fancy picking one up for that trip. I saw the CIMT company hiring from Milano, but I'm hoping that there's someone in Bergamont rather than travel an hour by train and then brave the smog and horrible, horrible traffic of Milano. What sort of price did you pay? CIMT are quoting bloody silly prices (€100+ and mileage). I had a Suzi 500 (****e) on Sicily from a local hire place for around 50 with unlimited miles so Im thinking CIMT are out to fleece Americans.

Dave G
06-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I think I paid around 50 euros for an afternoon,but that was a year ago and I have trouble remembering stuff I did last week.They usually only have open faced helmets too which adds to the fear :eek: ,mind you if I put the wife and couple of kids on the back I'd have fitted right in. :D
I saw a guy carry a surfboard on a scooter this week...I kid you not!
I found a lot of the hire places dont really promote bike hire as they make most of their money with scooters so its maybe worth looking around where you are staying or even asking.

DesmoDog
06-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Chers man, i'l do that. I had an open face in Sicily with a weird half visor. The helmet didn't fit properly and the wind noise over 80km was bloody awful. I ended up with it over my elbow and made a prayer that the local plod couldn't be arsed to stop me. It was nill protection anyhoo. Going to buy an open face when I'm over there so at least I'll have something that fits this time.

paul620sie
14-06-2005, 11:21 AM
I have a 5-speed 620, I tried one of Ducati's S2R's for one session at Mallory... it was great. The extra grunt over my 620 made a significant difference to acceleration, I can’t say I notice the brakes weren’t as good but I was too busy grinning as I finally managed to pass riders that my bike couldn’t pull past.

The S2R looks cool too with the high level cans and strip over the paintwork, just not too sure if I can justify the £3k I need to trade up to one.

Has anyone else traded up from a 620? I’ve be interested to know what their thoughts are.

Paul

slob
14-06-2005, 12:04 PM
I have a '02 620ie Dark and tried the S2R.
I hated it, I reckon there was more feel and power in my single disk than the 800's pair, couple that with a slipper clutch so no engine braking and it made me quite nervous coming into corners behind other people. It's either an old 800ie or a 1000 for me next.

andros
14-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I tried the S2R and didnt have a problem with the brakes.

I think the slipper clutch would be something that you would get used to, but on the road I dont think that you really need it unless you are very clumsy with gearchanges.

slob
14-06-2005, 12:15 PM
personally I just like the engine braking, I haven't owned a 2-stroke for 15 years.

farl
14-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I went from a 620 to a S4R. It's not just the speed and the brakes it's much more comfortable too. Do'nt have to dodge all the rough bits in the road now.

slob
14-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Yes but the S2R lacks many of the fancy adjustable bits fitted to the big fella, doesn't it?

Dave G
14-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Indeed!, tis a basic machine compared to its overplumbed big brother,but it has the looks on it methinks. :D

slob
14-06-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm with you there... & it comes with a DARK option!

Banshee
14-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Straight to bed with no hot chocolate for you tonight, you know your not allowed to diss the S2R....Unless your Michael Jaackson..... ;)

slob
14-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Straight to bed with no hot chocolate for you tonight, you know your not allowed to diss the S2R....Unless your Michael Jaackson..... ;)
yes boss, d'ya mind if I have a swift whiskey without my cocoa?

Gilps
20-09-2005, 07:00 PM
I pciked up my new S2R mid-August, rode it for two weeks, then the service tech spotted a problem. After 3 weeks off the road and the best part of a new engine, it's now up and running. But that's enough of the problems. Let's talk about what I think of the bike.

I love it. I bought it without test riding it. It was the looks of the thing that grabbed me. I just had to have it.

It handles great. It feels so more more planted on the road compared to my wifes Hornet 600. Much less twitchy. The feedback is good but it rides the bumps well. Mine has been set to the lowest setting on the rear shock cos of my short legs but it has not affected the handling as far as I can tell. It's comfy on a long run. 100 miles between stops and no aches and pains.
The engine is great. Not too much power so that you are constantly having to back off like on bigger or sportier bikes. Also not too small that you don't have to rev it hard to make it go. It feels like a good balance.

The front brakes are a bit lacking though. They feel like they could do with more bite. I may try different pads. Failing that I may have to look at four pots. The front forks feel a little soft and I can't help but think that with fiercer brakes the front would dive a little too much. I think that whilst the brakes could pull harder, what you have here is a good package - it works well enough. The rear brake is quite good though and I find myself using the rear much more than I have on previous bikes and the two together seem to stop the bike well enough.

All the bits come together well to make an excellent bike. I can see me hanging on to this one for some while. It does everything I need of a bike. I only ride for fun and this does the job fine. The only other bike I have ridden that has the same grin factor is a Buell. Must be something about twins.

Mrs Soup
21-09-2005, 12:34 PM
All of the above, with the exception of the brakes being iffy.

Though I have had a couple of braking moments they are most likely due to me going faster than I was on the 600, but they got me stopped in time, just needed a bigger handful.

I too have a new tank and seat on order due to scratches from the staples.

Banshee
22-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I went to a big bike meet last night and after havin a chat with our mr boon and co and havin a nice cup of tea,had to fight off the crowd around my bike, the peeps love it... mind you it so helps to park next to a pile of crap as i did.

Elmo
22-09-2005, 08:23 PM
cheeky b**tard

gary tompkins
22-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Yes but the S2R lacks many of the fancy adjustable bits fitted to the big fella, doesn't it?

There's always the S2R 1000DS to tempt you off the 620 now. Has the pukka brakes and suspension of the S4r, but none of it's plumbing or cortina MK4 rad ;)

Think the Silver/black stripe option looks the dogs - just need to find £7500

mattjhall2003
30-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Well my brakes work fine.

My brakes work well to, but compared to the 320mm gold brembo's that were standard on my old 620s they do seem a bit slow to respond and I practically have to jump on the rear pedal for hill starts and such like. :thumbsdown:

mattjhall2003
30-03-2006, 01:21 AM
I have a 5-speed 620, I tried one of Ducati's S2R's for one session at Mallory... it was great. The extra grunt over my 620 made a significant difference to acceleration, I can’t say I notice the brakes weren’t as good but I was too busy grinning as I finally managed to pass riders that my bike couldn’t pull past.

The S2R looks cool too with the high level cans and strip over the paintwork, just not too sure if I can justify the £3k I need to trade up to one.

Has anyone else traded up from a 620? I’ve be interested to know what their thoughts are.

Paul

I was in love with my old 620s until my twat of a neighbour parked his van on it. But six months of S2R ownership makes me feel like he did me a favour. Don't get me wrong, the 620 is a good bike and was my first love, after I passed my test, but the S2R is all an all round better performer. The extra power, wider tyres, slipper clutch and nice swing arm make the bike more responsive and inspires more confidance than the 620 when throwing it into bends and wading through the chaos on your local A road at rush hour.

I must say tho, 620 was much louder with nice race cans on it and had sharper front brakes.

Miles
30-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Without question the most intelligent bike in the world. Even though I have only been riding 2 months I managed to have a '' moment '' exiting a lefthander that I entered a bit too quick, finding myself on the wrong side of the road as I exited and a car bearing down on me ,I took the only real option I had and triedto ride the grass verge up the inside. Just about pulled it off, but my front wheel fell into a kerbed drain , I hit a stone wall , fractured my scapula and 2 ribs, but my beautiful, red ( is there any other colour ? ), sexy, intelligent S2R just lay down on the grass and went to sleep. Not a scratch on her....

got back on, and she took me home........

can't wait to mount her again.

sadbiker
31-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Hello miles, see you are in my neck of the woods, have to meet up some time at WSM sea front some time?

neilbaldry
23-04-2006, 04:33 PM
i love my S2R