PDA

View Full Version : Forgive UKMOC, For I Have Sinned

Plum
22-05-2005, 12:50 AM
I have bought a new bike. Its a twin. Its not a Jap. Its sexy (in my eyes) and it is less than half the price of a new S2R.

Its a H.....Ha......Har.................Harley Davidson!

Yes my new addition to the stable is a Harley.

I've had a love affair since before i was riding. I never thought i would own one.

I was saving to buy one (the S2R was also on the cards) but this turned up just to damn cheap. It was a combination of the owner buying a bigger house and had just lost the garage it was in. So after knocking a further significant amount of notes of the already comedy priced 2001 Sportster 883 Hugger, the bloke reluctanly smelt the cheque and has made one man very happy. The fact i work with his wife (and i would break the legs of anybody who knowingly took the p!ss outta of me..... and break their legs) also helps, so i know his 'plight' of bigger mortgage is true. I am extremely happy, but rest assured i have told the wife that although i have always wanted a Harley (even more so in the last few years), i will sell it over the Monster. I am, and will remain, as passionate about my Duc's as i always have been. So my Monnie is going nowhere! Period! It will be a cold day in hell if i have to part with it!

So my plans of an S2R are on hold for the next couple of years, but at least i have a Monster. I am at the Mill next year for sure (no Harley rallies for me) and i am looking forward to it more than i was this year (in a nice way) I still think you are the greatest bunch of people that i have ever met, and i hope that continues. I will not be Y.U.B (Young Urban Biker) and snub ya.

So i now look forwad to the abuse from the narrow minded among you.............BRING IT ON!!!!

Will post a decent piccie when i have one (at the moment it has crash bars and a screen which scream "I AM GAY!!!!!!") so they will be coming off and going on Flea bay.

Stay groovy y'all

Didge
22-05-2005, 12:58 AM
No abuse from me Plum. I've owned 2 Shovel Head HD's in the past. A '72 1200cc, and a 1340cc that was one of the last models made before the Evo engines came out.
I love the torque from the big HD's, and I loved the fact that they were rarely seen, but now they are as common as 4x4's driven on the school run.
If I had the money for another bike, I think I'd opt for a Buell.

Plum
22-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah i did want a Buell as it was close to a Monster, but the one i want is one of the old Lightnings with the HD motor. My mate who works for the dealership says, great bike but there have been some instantces of the rear cylinder going pop because of cooling issues. Its very rare, but it has happened. Trouble is, the new one's have motors built by Buell which is great, but they lack the style the previous models had. IMHO they are quite aimed at the 'wannabes' which is rich coming from someone who has bought a (relatively) modern Harley. That said the V-Rod and Street Rod, although nice in a peculiar type of way, really are aimed at a new market and the people who mostly end up buying them, are the 'suits' that need that something extra, as they cannot possibly own more D&G, Mont Blanc and the other labled bollox. For me i have seen a clear investment opportunity that i know i can make a bit of cash on, but only when the time is right. I agree with you didge about the older models. I personally would love a Heritage Softail, but would kill for the Softail Nostalgia. Its something i will never own, but i have that first step on the ladder with this modern HD and can now at least aim that better, and older model. All new HD's that are the introduction to cheap HD ownership is exactly the same as the Dark for Monnies. Yes, of course the finish will fall off the moment you forget to wash it (Lost Again is the proof....sorry dude :D ) But it has never put me off buying a new Monnie. In fact i am looking forward to telling you when i have bought my S2R.

The sad fact is today, with increasing pressure and competion to produce any vehicle that everyone wants a sniff at, its hard to do it and remain profitable, so they knock out something they know they can attract a wider customer base with. In reality it falls to bits the moment you neglect it for a week. My mate has seen a brand spanking V-Rod's alloy go 'very furry' in a matter of days.

Buells...............not that sexy anymore! (sorry went off on one then. I know your not slting me)

Hey where else could i find a Didge anyway. Only in UKMOC thats for sure!!

tetol
22-05-2005, 06:34 AM
i had one of those rare buell's plum bits falling off and the engine self distructing :mad:

Tigerlily
22-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Good to hear you're keeping the Monnie :D

Have you got rid of the "gay" bits yet?

When do we get to see it?

A Yerbury
22-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I dunno plum, If I had the spare wonga I would have got an old brit, a laverda/guzzi or saved a bit for a 1200, still, you say it was a bargain and it makes you happy. that's the important bit. have fun!
Alex.
ps. girly bike girly bike!!
pps. hang on? I have the ultimate girls bike? and I do face packs/moisturiser!?

gary tompkins
22-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Plum on a 883 'Hugger' eh? - Does it come several spare pairs of 'Huggies' for when you do your first emergency stop and discover standard HD brakes... err.. don't? :lol:

Helpfull link in case you've been shortchanged....

gary tompkins
22-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Plum on a 883 'Hugger' eh? - Does it come several spare pairs of 'Huggies' for when you do your first emergency stop and discover standard HD brakes... err.. don't? :lol:

Helpfull link in case you've been short-changed for absorbant undergarments...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15559&item=8305372320&rd=1

Little Monster
23-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I had one of them once ...... mine was most definitely not a girly bike. it didn't have a spot of pink on it....

Nice one plum

so, you live on a very small island with speed limits and road humps a plenty and now have 2 motor bikes. ahem.... :lol:

Little Monster
23-05-2005, 06:55 PM
This is Little Monster's other half here. Great to hear you got the harley you wanted. The sportsters are very definitely not girly bikes and have a style of their own. Getting a 1200 conversion is a cheap and easy option for the future.

PM Little Monster with your email address. We should definitely hook up for the bulldog bash bro (!)

Terry

A Yerbury
23-05-2005, 07:05 PM
will have to agree to disagree (it is a girly bike though) unlike yours, which is a marvel.

Alex.

ps did you see the pink ford ac cobra copy in the -travel lodge-car park? girly and rather cool.

Little Monster
23-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Me again (little mon). I shall pass on your kind words. He's gone to give himself a pedicure.

Before that he had a rather s3xy buell and before that a sportster that i then took off his hands. It had a really nice blue flame paint job and was pretty subtle so looked cool as ****. too heavy to be a girly bike. couldn't pick it up the one time i dropped it (mind you i was pinned underneath it - oh, happy days)

We surely did see the pink car as well as you draping yourself over the bonnet as Richard took your photo you big girl's blouse. We also laffed our @sses off when it started to spit with rain and the big show off that owned it (only a big show off cos it wasn't me) hadn't got a roof.

twas a very nice car and matches my silliest shoes and my brolly!! :bunny:

A Yerbury
23-05-2005, 07:13 PM
here's to sexy women with silly shoes, cheers!
Alex.

Plum
23-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Well i have to admit i thought i was in for far more abuse. Well at the end the day, it really is the cheap intro to Harley ownership and i am happy. I like to think in a few years i will have moved up a model or two, but my Monnies have to stay as well. So i think next new bike will have to be an S2R!

Hey Terry. Thanks for your kind words. I would love to get to the Bulldog, but this year is now a no-no due to me buying the Harley. In fact i am not allowed out ever again. I will PM you my email addy, and i shall send you a piccie when i pick it up and remove the really gay bits.

And to show how commited i am to UKMOC, i havent even loked at any HD Forums/Sites yet!!!

Plum
23-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Good to hear you're keeping the Monnie :D

Have you got rid of the "gay" bits yet?

When do we get to see it?

When i remove the gayness off it. Pick it up in 10 days, so you will just have to be patient :D

Pedro
23-05-2005, 10:01 PM
You'll be growing a big 'tache and wearing leather chaps next.....

:lol:

Plum
23-05-2005, 10:30 PM
You'll be growing a big 'tache and wearing leather chaps next.....

:lol:

Got them already,Ped ;)

slob
24-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Helpfull link in case you've been shortchanged....#

I too own a Sportster as well as my Monster and as Gary says prepare for a shock with the brakes.
Engine braking is excellent(Vtwin), back brake is a lifesaver, front requires written notice on triplicate forms three weeks before your emergency stop... Goodridge hose/EBC pads/Fork brace a must!

A Yerbury
24-05-2005, 08:33 AM
so lets have a picture plum? chaps and tache not essential but may be obligatory in the world of "harley art" copyright-"in the wind"

Alex.
ps will you be changing your name to lone wolf, mad dog or spider?

slob
24-05-2005, 08:52 AM
will you be changing your name to lone wolf, mad dog or spider?

He's already changed it to 'Plum'.

Plum
24-05-2005, 11:15 AM
so lets have a picture plum? chaps and tache not essential but may be obligatory in the world of "harley art" copyright-"in the wind"

Alex.
ps will you be changing your name to lone wolf, mad dog or spider?

I wont be going that far, although it wouldnt matter as Jersey doesnt appear to have a 'Chapter' in the HD world. Guernsey does though. It has all of 90 members........probably all from the same family!! I dont think i will be joining that one.

I could have my own. I have 2 mates who own HD's and we are not related........at least i think not.

I would love to post a piccie, but the only one i have shows it in all its gayness, and i really need to make it a little less gay. Therefore i will show it in all its glory when i return from the UK and have picked it up (June 4/5). I might even do an 'Official Countdown Clock' like the weekender one.

Anyone care to throws some names for it as well. My 2 1/2 year old, Lani says its a girl bike and she couldnt give me a (sensible) name

Try and be nice please :D

A Yerbury
24-05-2005, 11:55 AM
well post the pictures anyway, I mean whats the worse that can happen? think of it as before and after pictures?
Alex

Mand
24-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Lee, pleased for you. No ribbing from us either.

Having two bikes is cooooooool! :)

Plum
24-05-2005, 09:49 PM
#

I too own a Sportster as well as my Monster and as Gary says prepare for a shock with the brakes.
Engine braking is excellent(Vtwin), back brake is a lifesaver, front requires written notice on triplicate forms three weeks before your emergency stop... Goodridge hose/EBC pads/Fork brace a must!

Well have heards things similar, but lets face it, i wont be going fast enough to worry about it. :D

kustompontiac66
25-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Plum,

you still got you Monster right ? im told you in Jersey too ??? i own the orange and white m 900 with custom lights etc.

Do we have a montster meet over here

Plum
25-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Plum,

you still got you Monster right ? im told you in Jersey too ??? i own the orange and white m 900 with custom lights etc.

Do we have a montster meet over here

Sadly no, but since coming back from the weekender, i have been toying with the idea of setting up a website and trying to get other local monnie owners interested. Its a lot of work, although i am sure it would be worth it even if we had 10 interested people. We have 2 now, so i may have to think harder about it. in the meantime, we can have our own Monster meet of all 2 of us.

Will be a pleasure to go for a ride with you. Let me know when you have some thime free and we shall try and hook up

Cheers

L