PDA

View Full Version : Idle thoughts about paint

Mark Walker
20-05-2005, 11:37 AM
As the my bike is now being serviced thoughts have turned to how to get it looking all 'bling' when I get it back.......the first and easiest thing I have been thinking about it spraying a few bits and pieces on the bike......

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good quality hard wearing paint that I could use on the engine casing, clutch cover etc etc....and a good primer? Obviously need something that will take the heat, and have seen Halfords do High temp paint, but not sure if anyone has tried this?

I know Mr Yerbs has done mucho paint spraying on his monster, so any tips would be welcomed....especially any advice on what 'not' to do

CK & AK
20-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Mark, I just tapped in 'paint' into the search facility - and bingo - loads of threads to keep you amused for ages. Just follow the link:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/search.php?searchid=167546

265 threads on the subject...................

HTIOH?

Mark Walker
20-05-2005, 12:59 PM
thanks.......I guess I should have done that in the first place, but it is Friday and I am feeling veeeeeerrrryyyyyyyy laaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzyyyyyy :D :D

CK & AK
20-05-2005, 01:06 PM
No Probs, glad to be of service :lol:

Scotty
20-05-2005, 05:47 PM
well im board so il tell ya some rubbish , the high temp hlafords paint i used was crap
but that might be more to do with the colour wasnt exactly yellow
think most people use hammerite smooth or sumit

i sprayed clutch cover with normal car paint from halfords and that is doing ok
no bobbeling or owt errm but it is a carbon half cover and its now spaced away from clutch a bit

Pedro
20-05-2005, 09:43 PM
You can use Smoothrite for engine cases - its epoxy based I think so tough and chip resistant.

Nitromors the old paint off then scrub the cases with scotchbrite for a key for the paint and warm the cases a little with a fan heater or similar. This helps the paint stick very well. I also baked the paint under a strong halogen lamp.

Ped

A Yerbury
20-05-2005, 10:19 PM
vht halfords gloss on the fins and hot bits (2 coats) sperex for everything else. Halfords vht yellow sounds mad so avoid like the locusts. If you pj the heads with their flat black, warm them up a bit then spray the paint into the lid of the can, give it 20 seconds to loose some propellant then paint on, trust me it goes on like ink to blotting paper. I have used this simile before but I can find no better....It's all about a clean dry surface when it comes to engines and black (in this engine case) is most certainly the new black.

good luck.
Alex

Scotty
20-05-2005, 10:42 PM
if you want some YELLOW hafrauds high temp paint you welcone to a a all but full tin
but only a foool; would paint an engin yellow
hummm that could be me then perhaps i should hang onto it

A Yerbury
20-05-2005, 10:53 PM
scot maybe the valve covers yellow maybe the shaft end yellow but the engine? I don't know, I come on here "black is the way, it is practical, looks good etc etc" and people paint their engine yellow?!.......I mean pink or baby blue may be harder wearing!

Alex.
ps top thumbs up for "going for it" as they say

Scotty
20-05-2005, 10:57 PM
need new avatar to demonstrate my 'skilz' and Gary T is the man with the footage but awaites mr marachananeannasne cableness or so im told, and relax.

A Yerbury
20-05-2005, 11:02 PM
it's tricky just think "marches" "innit" then loose the nt...marchesini, hey presto, you is I tally yarn.

M900Dom
21-05-2005, 11:53 AM
:D

Lot of work though ;)

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2039551/3951949/96525719.jpg

Heads were done with PH1 or something ? epoxy based enamel Case paint

BArrels Powder coated in Black crackle finish

Cases done in 2-pack Black Pearl over etch primer and topped off with lots of 2 pack Laquer :cool: :cool:

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL93/2039551/3951420/49537251.jpg

Scotty
12-07-2005, 09:53 AM
just looking at painting 'again'

what do you do about the machined surfaces then ? like where the clutch slave cylinder bolts on ?

paint it and then sand off back to metal ? or is there a better way ?

uh was going to try some hammerite special metal primer and some ronseal metal paint (i like the colour) should be ok for just the outer engine cases ? dispite looking nothing like a drain pipe.

M900Dom
12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Its called Masking tape and a scalpel ;)

Just mask up the areas you dont want to paint

MotoNik
12-07-2005, 12:25 PM
You can use Smoothrite for engine cases - its epoxy based I think so tough and chip resistant.

Ped

I used the Smoothrite on Emily's Monster, and it's come up lovely. We used it for the engine cases, suspension hoop (looks great in silver), swingarm end plates, and the footrest hangers. It also perfectly matches the silver of the steel swingarm, so I was able to touch up a few areas where it was a bit rusty.

On the cases we wet and dried them, used an etch primer, and then I heated them up with a hot air gun just prior to spraying. They each had about six coats, and then went in the oven at about 75deg for half an hour.

If I do say so myself I'm very pleased with the results!

Must get Emily to post some pics...

cheers,

Nik

Scotty
16-07-2005, 04:02 PM
hummm where to get a spray gun from ive just buggered up a whole days work of paint stripping and sanding with a paint brush it looks **** to say the least and thats only the primer :( muss grumbel