PDA

View Full Version : My first oil change

Blue Beastie
18-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Just about to give my 96 M600 a drink of shell advance ultra 10w40, a new oil filter and a new air filter. Never done this before on the monster. Are there any quirks or tips that would make the job easier?

Cheers

The Kevlar Kid
18-05-2005, 02:50 PM
It's all a piece of p1ss...

However, make sure that you have a strap type filter wrench thin enough to get onto the filter before you let the oil go....

It's partly enclosed with an alloy shroud (part of the block / crankcase / whatever you want to refer to it as), so chain types usually dont fit. Mind you if it wasn't overtightened in the first place you should be able to undo it with your hand if you've got a good grip...

Oh and run the fuel in the tank down a bit, so you don't put too much weight on the hinge when you flip the tank...

Enjoy.... :D

Bobble
18-05-2005, 03:04 PM
to clean your gauze!

see link to previous post :rolleyes:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=12213

Paul :)

Blue Beastie
18-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Cheers guys. Luckily the tank is nearly empty and I got a set of washers with the oil filter. 3 I think and pressumably one is for the gauze, one for the drain plug and the 3rd??

I don't have any paraffin. Is there anything else I can use to clean the gauze?

A Yerbury
18-05-2005, 05:27 PM
you can just brush the swarf off, I used a rag with some white spirit then left it to dry.

then charge yourself 100 quid for the "difficult to maintain / service" ducati myth.....the fools..

nik_the_brief
18-05-2005, 05:29 PM
You don't need a third matey, one for the gauze filter and one for the oil filter. Slightly larger one for the filter I think.

I have a chain filter removing thingamajig and it works fine (well it did on Saturday) for the oil filter.

It's a ten minute job though, don't sweat it! :D

A Yerbury
18-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I drove a short sword through the filter then attached the hilt to a small dragon for leverage, that's the kind of chap I am.

crust
18-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Most decent car spares places sell these

makes getting the filter off easy

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?PCODE=BIKOFWUNI&GRP=MCP066&PGRP=MC008&CLS=MCYCLE&from=search

:) Crust

Didge
18-05-2005, 07:29 PM
I think what our Yerbs is saying is, if you don't have a oil-filter removel tool, knock a medium screw-driver through the old filter and lever it off that way. A method I used until I bought a oil filter tool from Halfords.
Put a bowl underneath first though, as oil will p*ss out of the old filter when it's punctured.

A Yerbury
18-05-2005, 07:34 PM
pretty much, cheers didge. you can use this brutal technique on cars too!

Fosse Foxfight
18-05-2005, 07:38 PM
pretty much, cheers didge. you can use this brutal technique on cars too!

Y'all forgot to get the goddamn engine hotter than hell afore ya drain the critter. And if ya got a rear paddock stand all the better for gettin it well drained.

Blue Beastie
18-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Well that didn't go too well. I have a chain type filter wrench. That just tore into the filter. Flamin thing wouldn;t budge. I drove a screw driver right through and have almost capped the bleedin thing, it's torn almost right round. It just wont budge and now there is feck all to grip. I'm lost. Thought I might be turning it the wrong way. I tried to turn it towards the front wheel (from the right hand side of the bike) which is the equivalent to anti-clock wise when flipped over if you catch my drift.

Don't know what to do. :( Should be such a simple job but the last owner must have put it on far too tight.

Fosse Foxfight
18-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Well that didn't go too well. I have a chain type filter wrench. That just tore into the filter. Flamin thing wouldn;t budge. I drove a screw driver right through and have almost capped the bleedin thing, it's torn almost right round. It just wont budge and now there is feck all to grip. I'm lost. Thought I might be turning it the wrong way. I tried to turn it towards the front wheel (from the right hand side of the bike) which is the equivalent to anti-clock wise when flipped over if you catch my drift.

Don't know what to do. :( Should be such a simple job but the last owner must have put it on far too tight.

OK, warming the engine up would have helped but its too late now.......time for some experience, so tomorrow eat humble pie, get on the phone and do sme ringing around....you gotta find somebody that this has happened to and find out how they solved it.

soz

Didge
18-05-2005, 08:06 PM

From the right hand side of the bike, one should be levering backwards, towards the rear wheel.

A Yerbury
18-05-2005, 08:07 PM
towards the front wheel from the right of the bike as you sit on it is clockwise?

Blue Beastie
18-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I did warm the bike up first but didn't seem to help. :( Turning the filter towards the front wheel is clockwise when upside down (in-situ) but anti clock wise if you imagine looking at the filter from underneath. I checked the thread on the new filter and it looked like I should be turning the filter towards the front wheel to loosen it. Can anyone remember off hand which way to turn from the right hand side of the bike? I can't believe I fecked up such a simle task. I've never had an upside down enclosed filter before!!!

I might be able to get some sort of band wrench into it that wont damage the wall of the filter.

crust
18-05-2005, 08:34 PM
see this thread

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=4715&highlight=tool

might be worth dropping Grant a message to see if he's still got the tool

Otherwise you could try knocking the filter round by poking a screwdriver up inside the filter and as near to the outside edge as you can get

:) Crust

bod
18-05-2005, 10:55 PM
If you aint got a filter wrech...Stick a screwdriver though the bottom off it( all the way through to the other side) Use as a leaver and from the clutch leaver side of the bike push the screwdriver (or similar object)to the front of the bike EG. anti clockwise

A Yerbury
18-05-2005, 11:05 PM
hang on hang on, so the right side is going towards the front? It should be going in the direction of this picture.
Alex

Blue Beastie
19-05-2005, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the picture Mr Yerbury, thankfully it tells me I was going the correct way. In fact I think most are providing descriptions of the same turn but a picture says ......

I tried the screwdriver right through thing and that ripped it apart!! I've ordered a strap wrench. If that fails I'll cry.

Rockhopper
19-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I've always used the screwdriver method and its never let me down but you do need to make surre that it goes right through the filter and that its a good long screw driver so you get loads of leverage. Like someone has said, there is a tool avilable for getting the remnants out if you do destroy the filter by this method.

When you put the new one on smear a little oil around the rubber ring first and screw it on hand tight only, dont use any tools. I have tried filling the filter with oil first but its messy, makes it harder to grip if its oily and takes just as long for the oil light to go out on start up so i dont bother any more.

Fill the oil to the top line then put the filler cap back on. Start the bike but dont let it rev. Only run it for 30 seconds or so but in that time the oil light should go out. Let it stand for a few minutes then check the level again and top it up cos it will have dropped. Dont be tempted to run the motor with the filler cap removed because you get oil everywhere!

Warm the bike up and check for leaks.

Blue Beastie
19-05-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm ok at putting them back on. This is the first filter I've done on this bike and the first it has had since I've owned it (2 months) but there is a good chance the torn one has been on for a long time.

The Kevlar Kid
19-05-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm ok at putting them back on. This is the first filter I've done on this bike and the first it has had since I've owned it (2 months) but there is a good chance the torn one has been on for a long time.

Blue, sorry to hear about the grief you've had on this. I should have elaborated on my initial suggestions more (and this is probably where I will upset a few people).

I said to use a strap wrench becase it allows you to get a proper purchase on the filter e.g. far enough down the body for it to be stable. Strap wrench's are also very cheap. The other real alternative is the proper socket typre removal tools that fit on the hexagonal shaped part at the bottom of the filter.

People may well have used chain wrenches on these (and perhaps other monsters have less shrouding round the filter - I don't know, I'm no monster expert) but in my opinion there is not enough room to get a proper grip on the Monster filter (unless it's loose enough to be removed by hand anyhow).

For ****'s sake NEVER use a screwdriver to remove the filter. Yes it does work (in some circumstances), but the mess it makes of the filter and the floor should be sending you a clear message that it is the worst kind of bodge. If it all goes wrong your then shagged (as you have found out).

Stick your hand in your pocket (and this means all of you that are still using screwdrivers) and go and spend £2.50 in halfords or a motorists centre for a strap wrench.

Rant over.

Blue - if there is enough of the filter left, it may still be worth trying a strap wrench, but be very careful and if it starts to crush too much, leave well alone. If its that chewed up already, it might be worth trying a large pair of swan necks if there is something solid enough to grip.

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

JR
19-05-2005, 11:46 AM
If you dont have a motor spares shop in your area, go to you local plumbers supply and get a plumbers strap wrench know as a "Boa Constrictor" - lots of leverage, lots of grip, and no damage - they come in various sizes.

JR

Rockhopper
19-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Dont know about the monsters but on my St4 there isnt enough room to get a strap wrench on the filter. Only the big hex key thing works.

I'm happy to carry on using the big screw driver method...

Blue Beastie
21-05-2005, 10:49 AM
This is not going well. I got a good strap wrench and was able to get a decent grip on it but it simply wont shift. I'm not a total weakling either. I have now cut the top off and stripped the insides of the filter and am looking for a tool to go into the wee holes inside. I have never come across anything like this before, its a bloody nightmare and so annoying as it should be such a simple and quick job.

I'll try PM'ing the chap enough to see if I can borrow his tool (ooh er missus)

gary tompkins
21-05-2005, 03:02 PM

There's also the possibility that the filter was badly overtightened in the first place :rolleyes: Spin-on (cannister) filters only need to be done up by hand, and only as tight as you can manage by hand. They should never be wound in tight with a wrench (strap type or alternatives) or you'll have a pig of a job getting them undone when they need replacing.

BTW that other alloy sealing washer in the filter kit is possibly for the sump drain plug, which should also be changed when you drain the oil.

Do the job properly with the right tools, and you wont need to resort to bodge methods like the 'screwdriver & hammer' trick. I use a Halfords webbing strap type wrench on my filters, works every time and cost me about £3 six years ago. Nuff said? ;)

bod
21-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Have you tried talking to it nicely i might just budge then :rolleyes:

Blue Beastie
25-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Well it's off :D . Mr Grunter very kindly sent me his custom tool and with a hell of a lot of heave ho it came off (after nearly pulling the bike over on me!!).

God knows what the last guy put the filter on with but it was really stuck :mad: . There is no way I could have removed it without the tool. The new one is on hand tight and there is no signs of oil leaking so hopefully it will come off no bother in the future.

Thanks to all for their advice and a special thanks to Grunter.

Can't wait to get out for a spin on it. :burnout:

rimmy2000
09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I also went straight in for the Screwdriver and hammer approach (my brother swears by this, and he's a mechanic...?) and this method started to bodge it- it has begun to tear...
It must be in tight though because it broke a blooming screwdriver in half! - that's when I decided enough was enough.
I will visit my spares shop for a wrench/strap tomorrow to ensure I don't make a complete pigs ear out of it. Any suggestions on the best type of tool? - The strap wrench sounded like good value for money...

Later
Rich

gary tompkins
09-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Strap wrenches work fine if the filter hasn't been overtightened in the first place. I've got a webbing strap wrench I bought from halfords for about a fiver, and it always normaly works. However when I went to do an oil swap on the trike I discovered some total knob end had spun the filter on way too tight, and no way was it going to budge with the strap. Eventually shifted it with a pukka steel hex wrench on my socket set.

Word of warning - most car type filter wrenches don't fit ducati filters as they are an odd size. I tried 2 wrenches from car spares shops before I gave up and ordered the correct one from a Ducati dealer.

CANISTER FILTERS ONLY NEED TO BE DONE UP HAND TIGHT!!!

Kiwi
10-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Word of warning - most car type filter wrenches don't fit ducati filters as they are an odd size. I tried 2 wrenches from car spares shops before I gave up and ordered the correct one from a Ducati dealer.

uise a car type filter and they fit perfectly

car filters are a fraction of the price of genuine ducati filters

citron 2CV, Norton Mark III Commando filters or 80-84 Harley Filters work fine