PDA

View Full Version : S4 firing on one cylinder

jamie
17-05-2005, 01:25 PM
2001 S4, after few weeks of owning, had been sat all day in rain, and wouldn't fire on front cylinder. The after a bit the front cylinder kicked in. Back to dealer a few days later same thing happened, new plug, sorted. Happened twice since over few weeks of use every few days 20 miles into work. Same cylinder, fixed with new plug. Not always in rain.

Booked in at Daytona a week friday, but any suggestions? I can't cope sat in car.

Cheers

Fosse Foxfight
18-05-2005, 08:37 AM
2001 S4, after few weeks of owning, had been sat all day in rain, and wouldn't fire on front cylinder. The after a bit the front cylinder kicked in. Back to dealer a few days later same thing happened, new plug, sorted. Happened twice since over few weeks of use every few days 20 miles into work. Same cylinder, fixed with new plug. Not always in rain.

Booked in at Daytona a week friday, but any suggestions? I can't cope sat in car.

Cheers

Mine does thsi.......the front cylinder basically just consumes spark plugs, and i cant for the life of me rationalise why :confused:
Let us know what they say.

Rockhopper
18-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Odd becasue i've got an ST4 which shares the 916 motor with the S4 Monster and when i change the plugs at service time they look brand new. Must be something different on the monster somewhere.

Scotty
18-05-2005, 10:45 AM
im in for service tomorrow (i win) and mine seems to only be an arse at low revs when its warmed up

jamie
19-05-2005, 08:11 AM
ok, finally had some garage time. Took plug out, coil wet again so a bit of wd40, took out plug, thorough clean with brake cleaner, wire brush and a bit of **** emery paper on the contacts and it fired up on two no problem. So, the cunning position of the coil (it is the coil isn't it?) in direct line of fire from everything thrown up from the front tyre means this will happen again and again. Is the carbon front mudguard standard? does the original have a whopping mud flap? Ill make up a little flap from old knackered carbon spare mudguard to sort this. Nice. Until then i might fashion a rack out of old kitchen units to carry the plug socket, extension, wd40, brake cleaner, wd40, **** emery and wet wipes.

jamie
19-05-2005, 08:15 AM
what the ****? i cant say ****? ****

jamie
19-05-2005, 09:00 AM
cancelled appointment and spoke to chief wrench, suggests a spot of silicone around top of coil. A slightly more asthetically pleasing solution, if a little annoying.