PDA

View Full Version : Its poorly

laney
16-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Went out on the s4 with the missus last Thursday as the whether was nice did around 60 miles with it running fine pulled in to a pub for a pint and crisps, an hour latter got back on the bike and it didn’t want to start, had to use the choke to get it running and now it wont hold a tick over. So whipped out the plugs which needed cleaning and set off for a test…it run ok for 5/6 miles and started running poor again and the s4 wouldn’t hold a tick over again? Pulled the plugs out again, noticed that they were quite black…so popped to the dealer who said that it was running rich and sold me some new plugs…put them in and the same happened…any clues to the problem and can you adjust the mixture, I see some adjuster screws in injector bodies, what are the standard settings…..? :confused:

Pedro
16-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Your dealer selling you new plugs won't cure it running rich......!

What sort of nick is the air cleaner in - worth changing if dirty as it will restrict flow and might make it run a little rich.

Ped

laney
16-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks I will check it out, but the bike was fine for the first 60 miles, also the dealer said as I didn’t buy the bike from a ducati dealer that it would likely cost £40 to test the bike to see what is wrong and it would probably need a service costing £380 ex vat and parts….the bike as only done 4700miles! It had a full service at the bike shop I bought it from, they service lot's of duc's....I have booked it in with them but as they are so busy they can't see it for three weeks...some missed rideing in that time I though there was something I could test or check? :rolleyes:

Rockhopper
16-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Your bike is fuel injected so the lever on the left hand bar is a fast idle control rather than a choke. My guess would be that one of the sensors in the injection circuit has failed, possibly the one for the outside air temp so the bike always thinks its cold and richens up the mixture as it would do for a cold start. It needs plugging into a Ducati Methesis tester which will test all the injection components and tell you which one isnt working.

Its worth you ringing Neil at www.cornerspeed.co.uk (he's near J28 on the M1) but he gives free advice! He wont rip you off with randon "inspection" charges either. Might be a bit of a trip for you but i know quite a few guys who take their Ducatis all the way from London for him to look at.

Tell him Paul sent you as well.

laney
16-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks Paul, I will give Neil a call ASAP, will let you know the outcome! :burnout:

laney
16-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Had a chat with Neil who was very helpful, there are three sensors which dictate good engine running and control, 1-engine temp sensor, 2-air temp sensor (the one you mentioned) and 3-throttle position potentiometer. All of which the Methesis tester will find, but due to the modern ducati wiring connectors it is very hard to test manually the individual components. As I said it is booked in to the bike shop and they do have this tester so I will just have to be patient for the next three weeks. But thanks for the info I don’t feel so in the dark now as to the problem. Neil seemed to think it could be the throttle pot. Also I didn’t fancy riding it to far with its problem

Regards Steve ;)