PDA

View Full Version : 600 running rich

budgie955
15-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Following my partner on her 600 dark i can smell petrol in her bikes fumes. This is backed up by it only doing 45 mpg - & she doesnt thrash it. The plugs are slightly dark,the air filter is new & it still performs well - any obvious answers before i check the carbs?
Thought about sticking choke or float heights being out anyone had & solved the same problem?

Thanks
Budgie

Pedro
15-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Monnie tend to run rich from stock and the best way to sort it is a Dynojet kit (about £88). A set of freer flowing cans will help a little but the jet kit will sort it much better

Worth checking the choke is coming off properly though

Ped

IpauloGTS
16-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Ped

I'm interested to know what this Dynojet kit involves as I try to sort my sudden bout of rough running. I have a LeoVinci slip-on system which is very open (loud) and a standard air box with a non-standard filter ( foam type, Dutch - can't remember the name).

What is the recommended idle for carb models? - 'cos I feel mine is a bit high.

Cheers,

Paul.

A Yerbury
16-05-2005, 05:28 PM
the kit consists of springs, needles and o rings (pretty much) with freer cans and a few holes in the lid that should sort the richness, get a dyno run after to get it balanced. as for the idle there is no tach on mine so I just did it by ear, pretty easy really, ducati suite has a picture which locates very neatly the various mikuni adjustments.
AY.

Pedro
16-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Ped

I'm interested to know what this Dynojet kit involves as I try to sort my sudden bout of rough running. I have a LeoVinci slip-on system which is very open (loud) and a standard air box with a non-standard filter ( foam type, Dutch - can't remember the name).

What is the recommended idle for carb models? - 'cos I feel mine is a bit high.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul

I have Leo cans too ad went for a stage 2 Dynojet kit, DP Filter and Open Airbox lid. Fitting involves removing carbs, changing main jet, changing the needles and springs - it's all explaining in the instructions and is pretty straightforward. Made a world of difference to mine.

Ped

IpauloGTS
16-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Sounds llike it might be worth it as I am going to be looking at the carbs - choke, synch etc.
How much for this job and where did you get the stuff from?

Cheers, Paul.

A Yerbury
16-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I think they are about 90 quid? either from the dynojet website or busters etc, very wise to get it all done at the same time as getting to the carbs is a bit of a pig. It may be worthwhile dropping Duncan a pm, he did his and found some of the screws had seized, not uncommon with mikunis. Yam tdm 800 and the other horror/duke look alike (the trx?) use the same carbs.

IpauloGTS
16-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the info.

So £90.00 + new filter + whatever open airbox lid costs + nightmare job where nothing is what it seems.

You've sold it to me!

Cheers,

Paul.

A Yerbury
16-05-2005, 11:18 PM
kn filter about 45, open air box is the price of a discc drill bit thing (you know the ones that dad types use for making holes) or you can just cut it all off (its a bit too tough for stanleys knife, I would use an angle grinder) after you have done these mods you should have a dyno run and adjustments...90-120. At least then you know it's all balanced and doing what it should where it should.

Fosse Foxfight
18-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Following my partner on her 600 dark i can smell petrol in her bikes fumes. This is backed up by it only doing 45 mpg - & she doesnt thrash it. The plugs are slightly dark,the air filter is new & it still performs well - any obvious answers before i check the carbs?
Thought about sticking choke or float heights being out anyone had & solved the same problem?

Thanks
Budgie

Woooooooah!!! Hold on a minute....the air filter is new??....did you change it?...what did you take off?........when I got my M900 it was rich n a tad shat...cause the clever chappy had "changed" the air filter for a lovely new stock Ducati paper one, before he passed it on to me...and after checking the paperwork, and seeing that it had dynojet StageII kit on I realised that it wasnt breathing, so after slamming a proper K&N filter in it and decimating the air box cover it breathed like a cross channel swimmer and sounded like a helicopter :D
Work on the basis that running rich isnt always too much petrol....it can also be too little air.....if you see the difference. Only 45mpg eh?......hum......does it matter ;) If anything, and maybe some people might agree, before getting the dynojet kit on, toss away the air filter and put a K&N or one of the other free flowing air filters......see if the mixture looks better and if not you may have to richen it up a touch.......in my book an engine can never breathe too well and the air box on a Monster is **** and a few other words that your Mum wouldnt like.......what still here?....get out and get that air filter on

ta ra me ducks