PDA

View Full Version : Starter Problems

adamjames001
15-05-2005, 10:24 AM
I bought a 2001 M600 last weekend and have been having problems satrting her up. I have read lots of posts saying there's often problems with the relay under the seat. I've checked and cleaned the contacts of this relay and I've still having trouble. I don't think its the side stand switch either because when side stand is down there's absolutely no response on the instrumentation dials. However when the stand is up and press the starter button there's a few blips on the rev counter. To top it off the speedo stopped working last night... but I've now worked out that the cable has snapped and plan to get a new one asap.

The bike cuts out every now and then. I think its electrical connected to the starter problem since all throttled repsonse dies and the bike slows to a stop. It then takes about 5 mins to start up again. It's not a mechanical problem because once started up the bikes fine. I've got Ducati performance dials and the last owner fitted a stand switch bypass. That's now back on the bike as originally fitted.

Can anyone help??

Adam

bod
15-05-2005, 05:12 PM
If yours is fuel injected check the fuel pump relay,sounds like your's is doing similar things :(

JamesM750
16-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I dont know if this will help, but when my side stand is down the lights are illuminated. This seems to be different to yours where there are no lights.

BlueHaze
16-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I had a similar problem with my '00 900 a while back which I wrote about at the time but I cannot find the thread so I'll run through it again:

My 900 was cutting out at roughly the same place on each journey to work, normally when pulling away. After a while the cutting out bacame more frequent so I tried to find the cause before becoming stranded.

I went through the normal things concerning sidestands, relays and connectors and then discovered that moving the handlebars to full lefthand lock would cause the the ignition to cut out. When the handlbars we moved back a bit you could hear the fuel pump prime and the bike would start.
This correlated with me turning sharply at the begginning and end of the journey.

After a while poking around the wiring loom I found that there was a sensitive area where the loom wraps round the headstock.
Cutting into the loom revealed a crimp connector splitting a single wire into two wires and a break had occurred just as the single wire entered the connector.

I pieced the whole connector out with some wires soldered together which were insulated with some heatshrink sleeving. Pretty poor design though, placing a connector at the point where it will receive continual flexing around the headstock. :(