PDA

View Full Version : Bad Running (very sudden!)

IpauloGTS
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
The 750 has been running beautifully for months now (since I replaced the pick-ups last summer) including this morning when I went to work. Out of work and a nice sunny afternoon and its running on one pot. I rode off and in a couple hundred yards it was spluttering on two with a few almighty backfires causing problems for pedestrians.

Anybody out there with any wisdom about such a sudden change before I start the investigation.

Cheers,

Paul.

Pedro
12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Plugs? Start with the simple things - I had a set foul up and the bike ran like the petrol had knots in it!

Ped

IpauloGTS
12-05-2005, 10:08 PM
That's where I'm starting tomorrow. As a matter of interest is there any variation in plugs being used out there in monsterland?
I've been running NGK DPR7EA-9 and they have been just fine.

Paul.

DesmoDog
13-05-2005, 08:44 AM
Funnily, I went back to those advised by Ducati and mine went fine, after a fashion. Now its dead and I'm thinking about buying a KTM duke.

IpauloGTS
15-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Well - checked the plugs and they looked pretty good a bit sooty round the edges but the electrodes the right sort of colour!. Similar too, where I expected to see a difference as it had been running on one .

I cleaned them and went for a ride and it was still missing quite badly - lots of sucking, spluttering, popping and banging when blipping the throttle after starting.

I haven't got much time at the moment (this is my reliable daily ride) but I suppose I ought to check that the air filter is ok.

Paul.

spacemonkey
15-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Thinking you might have got some water in it? How's the fuel filter nowadays? If it's water, chuck a bottle of Motorex Power Plus in to absorb the water and drain the carbs.

IpauloGTS
16-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks Nick

I'll certainly give it a look. How does water get into the fuel system? Haven't looked at the fuel filter yet either - presumably just to see if there's muck in it?

Paul.

DesmoDog
16-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Mine started! I cleaned the relay, no joy, checked the kink prone fuel pipe under the tank and it was straight. Put it back on charge and next day, presto - it was like nothing had happened. We hugged and forgave our bad words and went for a blast to Newcastle. I was soo happy that I left that moment, still wearing my comfortable shoes - so I looked a twat when I met Scotty on the hill. Still haven't got to the bottom of it's problems though.