PDA

View Full Version : Gauze Filter Change?

jrpdark
11-05-2005, 02:10 PM
OK, peeps, another dumb question...

I am planning an oil change and have got all the bits, but am not sure whether or not to pull out the gauze filter and clean that up too. The bike has done nearly 9,000 miles and this will be it's third oil change that I am aware of.

It's a 98 M600.

Any advice appreciated, such as is there a 10 mm allen key involved (as mentioned on the DucatiSuite site!).

Cheers

James

nik_the_brief
11-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Yep, just unscrew it, pull it out and wash it in paraffin, jobs a good 'un and it only takes seconds.

Can't remember if it's an allen key jobbie or if it's just a bolt. Thought it was the latter.

My Haynes Book of Lies (TM Spacemonkey) didn't even mention it existed!!

Pedro
11-05-2005, 05:09 PM
From memory you need a 22mm socket to get the gauze filter out. You'll also need a new crush washer to replace theold one or it'll leak like a b*stard.

Ped

spacemonkey
11-05-2005, 05:59 PM
I didn't, and it didn't. You could always anneal the washer if your a little worried?

snagger
11-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi, I must be missing something, where is the gause filter situated, just changed the oil & filter on '01 M600, no signs of a gauze tho???

Phil

nik_the_brief
11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi, I must be missing something, where is the gause filter situated, just changed the oil & filter on '01 M600, no signs of a gauze tho???

Phil

It's the hex nut at the bottom on the right hand side crankcase. Undo it and it pulls out. Flush it off - job done.

nik_the_brief
11-05-2005, 09:05 PM
I didn't, and it didn't. You could always anneal the washer if your a little worried?

Mine was fine too. I lacked sufficient forethought to get one before starting the job and had no problems. Having said that I'll have a new 'un next time I do the job, might as well since their only pennies to buy.

snagger
11-05-2005, 10:33 PM
Ok, thanx I'll try that, is it under the engine case or into the side? (ie does the oil need to be dropped to remove it)

Phil

jrpdark
12-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys.

Cheers

James

DesmoDog
12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Sangger - its on the side of the casing, a bloody great hex bolt of a similar size to the ones you can see on the header (THAT big). Yes you need to drain the oil, otherwise it will drain in a most erratic fashion, probably all over you and the floor. Nik, I found it in my book of lies! It's just not in an obvious place and I'm not anorak enough to quote pages from memory, well except for a different page in another publication. But that's another story.

Taman
12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Are these oil filters standard? Can I grab one from Halfords or something, or will I have to go to my local Ducati dealer/spareshack? Actually, I'm assuming I should change it when I change the oil - is this right?

Thanks guys!

Jamcoly
12-05-2005, 09:22 PM
isn't it a 14mm allen key

Starter Sprag
12-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Are these oil filters standard? Can I grab one from Halfords or something, or will I have to go to my local Ducati dealer/spareshack? Actually, I'm assuming I should change it when I change the oil - is this right?

Thanks guys!

Get a proper ducati oil filter, part# 4444 0034A, not expensive, better than your halfords

The screen/mesh filter washer is the thick one,#7871 0091A, use 21mm, or 13/16'' - spark plug socket

The drain plug washer, the thinner one,#2203 2083A

DesmoDog
13-05-2005, 09:35 AM
I think, but check on this, that the side filter (mines a bolt on the 97, may have canged on later models) is a permanent mesh. You wash it in a solvent then Robert may very well be your fathers brother, but he's not mine.

jrpdark
13-05-2005, 01:56 PM
The title of this thread is misleading - my fault! It should have said gauze filter clean. No need to get a new one!

James

nik_the_brief
13-05-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks guys!

Yep, do it when you change the oil or it'll make a nasty mess of your garage floor :eek: .

You're highly unlikely to have problems with it if you missed it this time round. I believe they only need to be cleaned off once in a blue moon though it may be good practice to do it every oil change since it costs ya nothing but a few pence for a new crush washer.

I get mine from my nearest Ducati dealer (Ashford) - not expensive, bought new plugs, filter and both crush washers for just over £12 yesterday.

jrpdark
13-05-2005, 04:51 PM
In that case, Nik, you'll be able to very kindly tell me what size the crush washers are?!

Are they a standard size or a "Ducati special"?

Thanks

James

Scotty
13-05-2005, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=
I get mine from my nearest Ducati dealer (Ashford) - not expensive, bought new plugs, filter and both crush washers for just over £12 yesterday.[/QUOTE]

you jest plugs are £12 each from our local main delaer

Zimbo
14-05-2005, 07:00 AM
Plugs are £3 or less from anywhere else!!!! :p

And yes the crush washer is a ducati special, around 31mm diameter if i remember correctly!

nik_the_brief
14-05-2005, 01:31 PM
you jest plugs are £12 each from our local main delaer

Surely you're the one jesting Scotty, that sounds like a poor deal mate.

To be honest I've always found Ducati Ashford to be comparatively reasonable for service parts etc. often competitive with (if not more reasonable than) Jap bike parts. I've even seen things cheaper the following year and wastold by the bloke at the garage that Ducati review the price of their parts on a regular basis and even reduce the prices on occasion!

Jeez I'm starting to sound like an advert!