PDA

View Full Version : Can any help, it wont start?

JamesM750
11-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Hello, I bought my first Monster last month (M750, 2000) and this morning it would not start. The immobiliser (datatool sys3) deactivated ok, the usual lights came on, but pushing the start button did nothing, the starter did not turn over. I did check that the side-stand was up, kill switch was off, and it was in neutral, but still nothing :confused: .

I will check the side-stand switch and try and bump start it, which will rule them out. But are there any other 'first' checks I should make or any other common faults that may cause this beside the starter button not working?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Plum
11-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Check the relay under the seat. If there is any crap on the contacts it will stop it from starting. Mine had a similar problem. When i turned the key all you could hear was this clicking under the seat (the relay). After giving it a clean (regardless of if you can see muck on it) it started and never gave me any grief since.

Try that and let us know

L

JamesM750
11-05-2005, 12:44 PM
I will have a good look at the relay as there does seem to be plenty of crap under the seat, cheers!

ruffnex
11-05-2005, 12:55 PM
when was the last time you used your bike mate as lot of probs can be battry related

JamesM750
11-05-2005, 01:22 PM
I last used it just over a week ago, and it started up fine. This morning I switched the headlamp on at it wasnt dull, but I will check the battery voltage when I check the side-stand switch.

Are these mains powered trickle chargers any good if you know the bike isnt going to be used for a while?

nik_the_brief
11-05-2005, 01:24 PM
I last used it just over a week ago, and it started up fine. This morning I switched the headlamp on at it wasnt dull, but I will check the battery voltage when I check the side-stand switch.

Are these mains powered trickle chargers any good if you know the bike isnt going to be used for a while?

Short answer I know but - Yes, they're great - many peeps on here recommend the Optimate one.

Dave G
11-05-2005, 01:56 PM
I had this problem with the same bike,it baffled me at first as I didnt even get a click or response from the starter.The sidestand switch has been disconnected or doesnt work on mine and I found if you pull in the clutch (like triumphs and suzuki) it started fine.
Not sure if thats whats meant to happen,but worth a go.

JamesM750
11-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Dave G, I will give pulling the clutch a go, and also check out the stand switch/unplug it. I notice you have an S2r (I wanted one of those), how did you find the M750, any interesting stories?

Pedro
11-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I'd put money on it being the starter relay - pop the cover off and clean the contacts with a piece of fine wet and dry. Might also be worth checking the kill switch on the bars - carefully open the covers and clean the contact points again if no joy with the starter relay.

Ped

JamesM750
12-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Job Done! Plum and Pedro, give yourselves a cigar, it was muck on the starter relay. A quick once over with the wet and dry and it was fine.

Many thanks to all. :burnout:

Plum
12-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Will be smoking a biggie this weekend for ya! Have a Romeo & Julieta (Yerbs would be proud) and will spark it for this celebration.

Glad the advice was of use. And if you get anymore probs, let me know. I had no end of grief just before the weekender. If its a fueling issue, i will definitely be the man.....aint that right Pedro!?

Pedro
12-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Just as long as it's not advice on routing fuelpipes eh Plum!!!! :lol:

I'm sure between us we can figure stuff out and glad to hear the bike came to life proper like!!

Ped

Plum
12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Just as long as it's not advice on routing fuelpipes eh Plum!!!! :lol:

I know lots about fuel pipes.......now!

DesmoDog
13-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Now the start relay is the yellow box under the seat no? Last time I just opened it up and gave it a visual check over. Where's my wet and dry?

Dave G
13-05-2005, 10:12 AM
James the S2R is great,feels lighter and the motor spins up quicker,I'm still running in so havent done too much yet,jury's out over the brakes though.
:burnout:
Still got the 750,though it will now have to go,I think its got a dodgy sidestand switch which normally doesnt work and if it shows a presence a pull in of the clutch lets me start it.
I really ought to fix it I suppose,or at least make it consistant by disconnecting it altogether.
Glad you fixed yours though

JamesM750
13-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Hmmmm, I still want and S2r! Maybe for christmas.

Do you think its a good idea to bypass the sidestand switch, it could get messy?

(I have also just found out what an avitar is)

Scotty
13-05-2005, 09:26 PM
yup ditch the side stabd switch BUT remember about it umm

DesmoDog
16-05-2005, 10:10 AM
You can get a kit to eliminate the cut out when the engine is running, but it'll trip if you put it in gear (much more sensible IMO). Spareshack do em. Mines just bypassed, so I can live in the knowledge that one day my crap mindedness will result in me doing interesting things on a left hand bend. (If I can do a speedy take off when the disc lock is fitted, a side stand should easily get past my eagle eye!)

JamesM750
17-05-2005, 10:58 AM
That gear switch sounds much better than a normal switch, at least then you can warm it up on the stand. Is there a specific switch for the Monster, or even Ducati or will any make Do??

JamesM750
17-05-2005, 11:42 AM
I found it!

http://www.spareshack.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?session=64190900&view=group&group=mon4900s4elec