PDA

View Full Version : stupid coloured bolts

DesmoDog
10-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Went to remove the belt inspection cover tonight. Something had run down the inside of the cover, but that's another story. One of the "bling bling" coloured bolts that replaced the originalswas a little tight. I applied a minimal amount of pressure and presto! It came free. So I go to reset the bolts and I can't get two of them back in. This is where I find that bolt A has sheered, leaving about 5mm of bolt in the bottom of the socket, and bolt B, well it just spins in its socket. Inspection of the bolt and it looks OK, and a spare from Ducati fits so I have to guess that the thread is buggered.

Now I didn't buy these things, but I'm wondering jut what the hell they make them from - Butter? Word to the wise. Coloured bolts. NO!

norrie
11-05-2005, 03:30 PM
They will be made from alloy and then anodised to whatever colour.
Yes they are rubbish,very soft.
I would recommend getting stainless steel ones.
I can put you in touch with someone that can do you a full set of stainless ones for the engine very cheap.
Let me know if you are intrested.

Norrie.

DesmoDog
12-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Norrie, sounds like a plan. I'm replacing bit by bit with standard Ducati bolts, but they're not the prettiest. Now, anyone got any plans as to how I remove this bit of bolt?

Plum
12-05-2005, 11:49 AM
They will be made from alloy and then anodised to whatever colour.
Yes they are rubbish,very soft.
I would recommend getting stainless steel ones.
I can put you in touch with someone that can do you a full set of stainless ones for the engine very cheap.
Let me know if you are intrested.

Norrie.

Hey Norrie

I think you also put me in touch with the same guy. Can you PM his email again as i lost some of my bolts (and have used them elsewhere) and i was really pleased with them.

Ta

L

Lost Again
12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
cud you post or PM so I can get in touch with whoever it is that does these magical bolts. going to be replacing near enough every bolt on the bike before long so could do with finding somewhere good.

Scotty
12-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Norrie, sounds like a plan. I'm replacing bit by bit with standard Ducati bolts, but they're not the prettiest. Now, anyone got any plans as to how I remove this bit of bolt?

pay some one else to do it for ya
that armstrong enginearing at the bottom of 'The Hill' replaced my nackered side stand threads with the ever majika l helicoil things
not cheap but stronger than the original threads
assuming thers none of the bolt sticking out to get hold of
i think thers some strange reverst cut drill bit type thing ? that will bight into the remaining bolt and fingers crossed unscrew it niver seen one nor know where to get one if they even exist i might just have an active imagination

norrie
12-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah it's called an easy out.
Although I dont know why it's called that as it's not always easy.
You drill a small hole on the middle of the bolt and then screw it in anti clockwise and it will grip the bolt and take it out in theory.
Usually if it is on an engine case if you remove the engine case you can get into it with a pair of mole grips or something similar.
However I wouldn't worry to much about one bolt being missing as it should't do any harm.
I will contact Phil who does the bolts and see if he still does them and post details up here.

Norrie.

DesmoDog
13-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Cheers Norrie - you're a star. And I hadn't thought about taking the engine casing off.

norrie
13-05-2005, 01:57 PM
PM'd Phil's E-Mail address the guy who does the stainless bolts.
If anyone else is intrested drop me a PM and I'll send you his E-Mail.
He does a full engine kit for the MOnster and it is very cheap but good quality.

Norrie.

brewhaha
14-05-2005, 11:34 AM
How much are you looking at?
(I am Scottish)

A Yerbury
14-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Karl Brutus, how do dear boy, If you are feeling a bit flash as they are soft they should drill out easily enough. just be sure to clear the belt area of all "swarf" afterwards. I got a stainless set for about 12 from bsr aerotech. they look a lot lot lot better.

Alex.