PDA

View Full Version : service schedule for S4

dean
10-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Being a yokel and living nowhere near a ducati dealer, i need to get by bike serviced prior to a trip to the isle of man in a month. I have booked it in with a local mechanic who is very good but he dosent know service schedules for ducatis.

My bike was last serviced in march 2003 (shame on me) at approx 2500 miles.

It now has 4800 miles on it.

Couple of questions..

1.What should my mechanic be doing at this service interval.
2. If i need parts for this service (which hopefully some of you kind people can enlighten me on!) then where can i get them, bearing in mind that my bike is booked in for a service on wednesday 18th.

Now, if this thread gives the impression that i am poorly organised, this is mainly due to the fact that i am poorly organised. In fact i'd forget my balls if they weren't in a bag (too graphic?)

Anyway, thanks fo any advice.

Dean

PaulS
10-05-2005, 01:24 PM
The service intervals for the S4 are every 6000 miles or every year (whichever comes first) and consists of the following -

Engine oil and filter change
Valve clearance check and/or adjustment
Timing belt tension check
Spark plug check and/or change
Fuel filter change
Air filter cleaning and/or change
Throttle synchronization and idling check
Engine oil pressure check
Engine cylinder compression check
Chain tension,alignment and lubrication
Clutch plates check and/or replacement
Power fans check
Cooling circuit sealing check
Brake pads check and/or change
Front sprocket fastening plate check
Nut and bolts tightening check
Lubrication and greasing at all required points
Motorcycle testing

In addition, every 12000 miles or two years the following is required -

Engine oil intake filter change or cleaning
Timing belt change
Brake and clutch fluid change
Steering bearings check
Coolant change
Wheel hub bearings check
Fuel tank cleaning
Front fork oil change

Also, every 600 miles the following should be checked -

Engine oil level check
Brake and clutch fluid level check
Brake and clutch controls check and adjustment
Check/lubricate starter/accelerator controls
Tyre pressure and wear check
Chain tension,alignment and lubrication
Coolant level check.

The above is the official Ducati "scheduled maintenance plan" for the S4, a copy of which was given to me by my dealer. I have left off the stuff that should be done at the first 600 mile service as I assume this has been done already. I guess your bike is over two years old so if they've never been changed then make sure you get the timing belts changed as these are said to deteriorate over time irrespective of the mileage covered. In addition to the official stuff my dealer always (so he says) re-torques the clutch nut and the rotor nut. The rotor nut is particularly important as they have a habit of coming loose on the 916 engine which causes the rotor to make a mess of the end of your crankshaft. As far as sources of parts is concerned I think Stuart at www.spareshack.com or Lee at www.ducatisparesonline.co.uk should be able to sort you out if you don't want to go to a franchised Ducati dealer. As an aside, if your mechanic doesn't know Ducatis he may be in for a surprise when he checks the valve clearances and finds two rockers per valve with clearances to be checked!

dean
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Thanks Paul

Now that's what i call a response!, all i need to get are the belts, aparently the kevlar belts are the one to get? (this is what my mechanic has told me), i've looked on spareshack site but they didnt seem to have em there so i'll check the other site you posted.

Thanks once again, that was extremely helpful stuff you posted.

Dean

PaulS
10-05-2005, 01:38 PM
I have heard that the kevlar belts are better, I believe one sort has red writing on and the other green writing but I can't remember which is which. Lee at ducatisparesonline will know. I think Spareshack do supply the belts but I don't think Stuart puts all his lines on the website so you would have to e-mail or phone him to be sure. Good luck!