PDA

View Full Version : Chain cleaning shenanigans!

Lost Again
04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Whats the best way to get a chain proper spangly clean? Aswell as all the usual crap its got a wee bit o surface rust on the outsides of the links. any way of getting rid of it or will I need a new chain if I want it to look nice?

slob
04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
get a cloth and rub it until the rust disappears... if a djin pops up, consider your options carefully before choosing.

mikerukbiker
04-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Whats the best way to get a chain proper spangly clean? Aswell as all the usual crap its got a wee bit o surface rust on the outsides of the links. any way of getting rid of it or will I need a new chain if I want it to look nice?
I use scrubbing brush to remove surface rust - in process of fitting a Scotoiler to see if this helps.

Lost Again
04-05-2005, 11:57 AM
I've got a little halfords brush set kicking about somewhere with a brass brush in it. stiffer than nylon, not as stiff as steel. you think that would do the trickery doo dah for the outside of the links?

stef
04-05-2005, 12:02 PM
parafine is probably the best thing you can use, either remove it from the bike or leave it on..
dry the soaking chain with a cloth, spin the wheel a few times to get rid of as much parafin as possible, and relub.
the muck just disappears !

Pedro
04-05-2005, 12:14 PM
In your case, I'd say buy a new one and have done with it!!

:D

Lost Again
04-05-2005, 12:36 PM
I was afraid someone was going to say that. last time I bought a chain it cost me near enough 80 quid! think th plans going to be to clean it as best I can for the minute and have new chain and sprockets as part of the winter rebuild. shiny shiny goodness!

Mand
04-05-2005, 12:45 PM
As an act of goodwill, I will polish your pipes for you. :)

(The ones on your bike of course!)

slob
04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
If you clean it with your wire brush, be careful not to destroy the o-rings, an old toothbrush or similar is probably safer.

Lost Again
04-05-2005, 12:54 PM
thats what i was worried about, I was hoping the brass brush would be okay to use just on the outside surfaces to get rid of the rust but then use a rag and parafin for the rest. might be best to stick to a tooth brush tho, just really wanna get rid of that rust!

Lost Again
04-05-2005, 12:58 PM
As an act of goodwill, I will polish your pipes for you. :)

(The ones on your bike of course!)

glad you cleared that up, could have got us into a whole world of inuendo and confusion.
but why on earth would you offer to clean my pipes for me? not that the offer goes unappreciated of course, just wondering would would persaude you to make such a damn nice offer.

are you an experienced pipe polisher?

Mand
04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Goodness me young man, did you not see my gleaming pipes on my bike? I am famous in Leicestershire for having particularly shiny pipes.

It was suggested that at the weekender that I make it my third job!

Lost Again
04-05-2005, 01:08 PM
sorry, didn't quite manage to match the right bike to the right person for everyone. First time I've met most people!
Third Job? I struggle with one!
Thanks very much for the offer but I think its a fair trek from huddersfield.
Any tips you can give me products/techniques for getting ali and stainless mirror shiny would be good!

Mand
04-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Autosol and plenty of elbow grease is always a winner. :)

Can't wait to see the finished results. Good luck mate.

Ruth
04-05-2005, 01:15 PM
You should see Mand's wrist action when she gets going, it'd make your eyes water!

Lost Again
04-05-2005, 01:47 PM
You should see Mand's wrist action when she gets going, it'd make your eyes water!

Really? Does she put in plenty of practice to acheive such a wrist action? maybe next time we meet Mand could give me a few pointers.
Saying that, when I'm actually in the mood I can buff away with the best of them, managed to sprain my wrist last time tho. took it easy after that. You don't want to ruin your polishing hand...

Pedro
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Back to the chain, if you can take it off the bike, you could soak it in diesel. It'll also be easier to scrub off the bike.

Shauns4
04-05-2005, 07:49 PM
diesel or paraffin is good, if the chain has got to the rusty stage (then has been already said) buy a new one, could be cheaper in the long run! (chains shouldn't rust as they are supposed to be covered in lubricant?)

Shaun

Lost Again
05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
I had a wee scrub last night and wadaya know, it started coming up all shiny like. didn't get the chance to finish it but it should be done soon.