PDA

View Full Version : Cracked speedo glass on S4R

LAURENT
02-05-2005, 05:14 PM
The glass on my S4R Speedo has cracked and looks like can't be changed without changing the whole Speed/Rev unit.(about 350 Pounds)
Anyboy got an idea ?

Thanks a lot

Laurent :(

Darry
28-10-2005, 08:57 PM
The glass on my S4R Speedo has cracked and looks like can't be changed without changing the whole Speed/Rev unit.(about 350 Pounds)
Anyboy got an idea ?

Thanks a lot

Laurent :(

Laurant,

Did you get any response to this. My speedo glass also has a small crack.

Cheers,
Darren.

CK & AK
28-10-2005, 09:22 PM
surely if the bike is still under warranty, they could be changed?
Is it accident damaged - or stress cracked?

Like with the 'misting' clocks occuring in some 02/03/04 models, they had to replace the whole clocks - which means you loose all the mileage you have done... tho the service booked is stamped accordingly

Cant put 2nd hand clocks on either, as they have to be mapped to the ecu and the immobiliser system.

BoozyBOB
29-10-2005, 07:25 PM
had this happen on my 6oo...but got it changed under warranty....as it was to do with the clutch cable vibrating against the rim of the clock... :confused: Pegassus in Reading said they had to change the complete unit as it is sealed :rolleyes:

JMo
29-10-2005, 08:18 PM
I had a similar response from my dealer a couple of years ago - the back of the clocks were scratched, but they said the parts weren't available seperately, so you had to order the whole clocks...

If that is the case, then I guess you're stuck - however, they are not a 'sealed' unit, as they can be taken apart (you need a T10 Torx allen key, that's all) - so if you are out of warrenty, or it is your own fault the lens is cracked, then I'd suggest you take them apart, and get a new piece of perspex cut, using the original as a pattern? - got to be a whole lot cheaper than £350...

xxx

Darry
30-10-2005, 07:01 PM
I had a similar response from my dealer a couple of years ago - the back of the clocks were scratched, but they said the parts weren't available seperately, so you had to order the whole clocks...

If that is the case, then I guess you're stuck - however, they are not a 'sealed' unit, as they can be taken apart (you need a T10 Torx allen key, that's all) - so if you are out of warrenty, or it is your own fault the lens is cracked, then I'd suggest you take them apart, and get a new piece of perspex cut, using the original as a pattern? - got to be a whole lot cheaper than £350...

xxx

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately the bikes out of warranty now. Protwins said its normally due to being left outside in the sun/cold, as the perspex contracts/expands against the outer rim of the clock unit; they suggested using some sealent for the time being.

So it looks like I'll take JMo's advice and try to get a new piece of perspex cut.

JMo, any idea where I can get this done?

D.

spacemonkey
30-10-2005, 07:09 PM
On the earlier speedos such as my 93 900, the bezel is held on with six dots of glue. These can be levered off with a little caution.

NattyBoy
30-10-2005, 07:36 PM
bit extravagant, but I can supply a brand new ducati performance rev counter (which you can use the glass from) for £45.

Cheers
Nat

LAURENT
31-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I have removed the top cover and try to take off the glass .But there is a strange bevel to slot the glass in to , and you need to destroy it , but the bits left are glued and you must cut them without damaging the cover ( a nightmare)
I have fitted a new glass made at work (I am manufacturing spectacle lenses !) but it is not water proof from the side. Because of this I did only one side but they dont look alike !
I'm looking to change it completely.

Laurent