PDA

View Full Version : Blow back!

carr01
30-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Having just filled the tank on the S4 I parked the bike at home in the sunshine
for about an hour. Then tinkering around like you do I propped up the tank to tinker some more, at this point what seemed like water escaped from one of the tank breather pipes to the floor, very strange I thought, so I set the tank back down and opened the fuel cap to an explosion of fuel/ air mix, soaking myself and contaminating my can of lager! I dont smoke any longer but if I or anyone near me had been there would have been one hell of an explosion, and I would have spilled my beer!
Anyone got ant idea what the water in the tank is about?

Mr Cake
30-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Its fuel not water. If the tank is full and you tilt it fuel will pour out of the breathers. There is a warning sticker somewhere on the bike that states that you should not tilt the tank if it is more than half full.

I've never opened the tank after tilting it, but it may have something to do with fuel injection systems being pressurised.

Dave

Danny
30-04-2005, 01:52 PM
How much lager was left in the can?

Melnie Mouse
30-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Its fuel not water. If the tank is full and you tilt it fuel will pour out of the breathers. There is a warning sticker somewhere on the bike that states that you should not tilt the tank if it is more than half full.

I've never opened the tank after tilting it, but it may have something to do with fuel injection systems being pressurised.

Dave

yes did correct!

SAMMYE
30-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Thats terrible!! hope you had another can!

spacemonkey
01-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Sounds like the air breather possibly blocked and the heat (hahahahaaha) from the sun caused expansion with nowhere to go...

PaulS
01-05-2005, 02:26 PM
If you read the S4 owners manual it tells you not to lift the tank with more than 5 litres of fuel in it. I have lifted mine with more than 5 litres in it with the bike on a paddock stand without a problem but I expect the fact that yours was full and hot combined to give the result you had. I hope you didn't waste the can of lager but found a nearby tramp to give it to - I expect it tasted much the same as Kestrel with the petrol in it.

Didge
02-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Oh sorry. When I saw the title to this thread, I thought someone had a flatus problem that I could help with.
My mistake.