PDA

View Full Version : Non-matching tyres?

Blue Beastie
26-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Have been complaining to myself about the handling of the monster and wasn't sure if it was just different to what I am used to, forks that need serviced or the tyres.

It has a Michelin on the back and a Metzler (spelling?) on the front. The back is rather squared too. Could this be a bad enough tyre set up to make the front end more wobbly and scary than big Rick's belly? :burnout:

Dark-Jon
26-04-2005, 04:31 PM
I can vouch for a square tyre being a bit scary, especially if its done quite a bit of mileage, mid corner the tyre doesn't know what side to be on so just flops around wobbling the bike, not fun. At least loose the square tyre, BT020's are very well reccomended, but that's ANOTHER can of worms...

As for mis-matched tyres, no idea. As long as they're both fairly decent and designed with the same ratings in mind I can't see it'd be that much of a problem. May affect the bike when you start pushing it.

DJ

Pedro
26-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Mismatched tyres aren't recommended really and squared off tyres will b*gger up the handling.

If you're going for some new ones, Pirelli Diablos are ace!

Ped

slug
26-04-2005, 11:06 PM
I know what you mean about square tyres I was blaming the bike for oversteering in corners till someone showed me why. Then I got p1ssed off with the rear Pirelli Dragon Evos squaring off after 2 to 2.5k miles so I rang a man at pirelli... :rolleyes: like you do :rolleyes: and he suggested a Dragon GTS touring tyre on the back and the Dragon Evo on the front. The theory being that the harder touring type tyre on the back would keep its shape and handling longer and I would get more mileage out of it.

I am no Neil Hodgson, but I like the stickier softer tyre on the front, IMO thats where I need the most grip in a corner, if the front wanders its a bugger to control. If the harder rear begins to slide a bit I can hopefully feel it early and control it a little.
So my tyre theory is soft up front for grip and slightly harder for better wear/economy at the back. This way I should wear one front to one rear as opposed to 1:2

Anybody else find this works for them?

jvp
27-04-2005, 07:04 PM
I always change both at the same time, I don't think I have ever bought one tyre.

If you keep them matched and with the same wear you should be able to cancel out any handling problems to the tyres and look elseware.

A friend of mine always used to use 2 rears to 1 front and his bike was always fine on the first set, but was always horrible to ride with the new rear.

I have even changed a pair after a double puncture at 800 miles, it isn't that much more expensive to buy a set anyway, and at least you can trust the only part that keeps you in contact with the road.(except the footpeg/exhaust every now and then)

I want as much trust in the bike as possible, and tyres are one of the main parts saftey wise
Jay

Duncan
27-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Tyres are often sold in packs of 3 as they normally wear 2 backs to 1 front.

Have a look at this ebay seller, just got a pair of Avon Azaro's for £75 plus P&p of £12 and had a single rear for £40. Its a mix of Azaro 2&3 but thats OK, perfectly compatible. OK for the 900 / 1000 and he has sets for the 600 too.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7969844888&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Its last years model of Azaro so he wants to clear them but a perfectly good tyre and they go round corners OK. Theres loads more like this in his shop.

AND dont get in a bidding war. He is offering unsuccesful bidders a 2nd chance if you get round the £78 mark. Obviously got a mountain of stock.