PDA

View Full Version : Ducati charging for test rides!!!!

slug
25-04-2005, 01:52 AM
:mad: I recently visited my local ducati dealer for a test ride on a Multistrada. They understandabley wanted to see my driving license and a utility bill for extra proof of ID, but imagine my shock when they wanted to charge £20 :eek: for the pleasure (and it was a pleasure :D) of riding their demonstrator, they said that if I ended up buying a bike from them they would refund the £20. I was pretty miffed about this considering that in the past 18months I have spent at least a £1k on parts and servicing with them.
I kicked up a small fuss and fortunately they forgot to charge the £20, Still its bloody cheeky though :mad:

I mentioned the above to another dealer who was surprised that another mainstream dealer should be charging for test rides, he said that every time a customer takes a bike out for a test ride Ducati pay the dealer £20 (for a 999) to £10 (for a M620).

Anybody else come across this situation before :confused: :confused: ?

fatbloke
25-04-2005, 05:53 AM
I've heard of a couple of dealers doing this, thy tell me its to deter people
who just turn up and want to take a bike for a spin with no intention of
buying a bike.
It seems to be a problem in some areas.
I'm not saying its a good thing, its just what I've been told.

Melnie Mouse
25-04-2005, 07:42 AM
I've heard of a couple of dealers doing this, thy tell me its to deter people
who just turn up and want to take a bike for a spin with no intention of
buying a bike.
It seems to be a problem in some areas.
I'm not saying its a good thing, its just what I've been told.

that's exactly true. I'm afraid, cos there are a lot of joy riders just using their petrol and bikes to show off and i'm afraid, a few bikes have been damaged as the result. it's to separate those truly interested and just joy riders. most people charge 25 quid a bike. P&H introduced it first I believe. only time there's no charge is on an open day.

Melnie Mouse
25-04-2005, 07:46 AM
I mentioned the above to another dealer who was surprised that another mainstream dealer should be charging for test rides, he said that every time a customer takes a bike out for a test ride Ducati pay the dealer £20 (for a 999) to £10 (for a M620).

Oh! and that last paragraph... Ducati and only them, have taken away their demo discount for dealers.. which means when a demo goes up for sale after 3 months, normally its a grand cheaper! but since Ducati have taken that away, they now say, for every demo ride, an appraisal forms is to be filled out, and every form they receive the dealer get's 20 or 25 quid back. and THAT is what the dealer knocks off when demo becomes for sale. I think that's discusting way to treat dealers... and in turn the customer! :mad:

MilesB
25-04-2005, 08:40 AM

I took a test ride on a Multistrada and ST3 this weekend too. See my thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=105485#post105485

Called Pro Twins at South Caterham - where I get all my Monster servicing done, and they said it would cost £15 - Non refundable :mad: - to cover insurance. Plus, if is was raining then the test ride was off.

As they didn't have an ST3, I called Ducati London South.
They had both bikes :) (although check in advance as they share with the other Ducati London shop). The rides were 2up, with both Susan and myself taking turns as rider and pillion. And it was raining/drizzling for some of the time :eek: .

No problems :bunny: .

No charge :D , although could we put 'some' petrol in to cover our ride - a reasonable request - I put £5 worth in the Multi, and £8 worth in the ST3 (as we took it on the Motorway and went further). We both signed damage waivers - but that is also standard.

A good experience, which means if we do go for a Multistrada, then Ducati London South will be getting my business ;) . Thank you Claire.

PS - Daryl, Glad you liked the Multistrada too - 620 or 1000 ?

slob
25-04-2005, 09:03 AM
I had a similar experience at DLS... put a fiver in the tank after the fuel light came on on the motorway. (It was an overcast day and absolutely p*ssing down by the time I got back)
What annoyed me was a charge for a courtesy bike during servicing, when they're already charging you a whopping 10% of the bikes new value for a 6K service.

Melnie Mouse
25-04-2005, 11:15 AM
not heard of that one, charging you for a courtesy bike whilst yours in for service, apart from the indemnity of course...

Pedro
25-04-2005, 12:09 PM
not heard of that one, charging you for a courtesy bike whilst yours in for service, apart from the indemnity of course...

Most car main agents will do the same unless you kick up about it

Melnie Mouse
25-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Oh really? I've not heard of that...

Thanks for stickers and badges, ducati people only... yahhhh

The Kevlar Kid
25-04-2005, 04:52 PM

Pedro, Such as who???? I'm interested.....

I never experienced this (and done a fair bit of buying / mystery shopping). I hope its none of our dealers.....

As for bike dealers, if someone wanted to charge me for thinking of buying one of their bikes, I'd assume they didn't want my business and go and spend my money somewhere else - their loss.

spacemonkey
25-04-2005, 05:11 PM
So the dealer gets £20 from Ducati and £20 from the test pilot? Hmm....

Car dealers don't do it that i know of, infact I have had test drivers lent to me for the whole weekend before without charge! My dad took a ZX12R out for a rip whilst his ZZR1100 was being 'done' and he had to put a fiver in the tank. Best fiver he ever spent he says!

slug
26-04-2005, 12:33 AM
MilesB
I tested the 100DS multi at Ducati wolverhampton they were realy helpful, I ended up buying the demo bike (4-5 months old with 400 miles on the clock) for a very good price. Four other delaers couldnt get anywhere near the price, including the real cheapo sellers like Pegasus. This heavily discounted demo bike would confirm what Melanie says about dealers selling demonstrators after only 3 months or so. Indeed the guy at Duc Wolves said Ducati were forcing him to put a new 05 spec bike on as a demo'

The MTS that I have bought is a MY04 bike which I have up-spec'd to 05 for £200ish, I also added the obligotory carbon hugger, they should realy have a hugger as standard :mad:

Apologies for temporarily turning UKMOC into a Numptystrada site ;) normal service will be resumed shortly....

PS: if you are interested in Numptys visit multistrada.net they whinge about side stands just like we do. personally I think the MTS stand is pretty good... well compared to the monsters precarious lean angle :eek:

mikerukbiker
26-04-2005, 06:47 AM
I use Ducati Leeds and am pleased to say that, so far, they have never charged for use of "courtesy" bike when mine is being serviced. I do however, always put petrol in as soon as I pick up the bike because there never seems to be much more than fumes in the tank.

My first Ducati was a 620s demo and it had about 600 on the clock and had been registered about 12 weeks. TRhe price was excellent (but less good on the trade-in!)

Melnie Mouse
26-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Apologies for temporarily turning UKMOC into a Numptystrada site ;) normal service will be resumed shortly....

PS: if you are interested in Numptys visit multistrada.net they whinge about side stands just like we do. personally I think the MTS stand is pretty good... well compared to the monsters precarious lean angle :eek:[/QUOTE]

Have you seen how good the 'new' stand is on the numpty? I'm borrowing a 620 babynumpty I call it, and it's lovely to ride, and has excellent stand not wonky at all like the previous 1000 I borrowed last year - much improved.

moor-ph0
26-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi,
And they say the Scots are skinflints!! Anyway I had my M1000 in Ducati Glasgow for its 6K service and some warranty work. Free of charge I had on loan a 999 for two days - great bike. The tank was nearly full and the only stipulation was I fill the tank on return. Well worth it and a fantastic two days riding the 999. Great bunch of guys at Ducati Glasgow - well worth a visit.
Geoff

MilesB
26-04-2005, 08:43 AM
The MTS that I have bought is a MY04 bike which I have up-spec'd to 05 for £200ish, I also added the obligotory carbon hugger, they should realy have a hugger as standard :mad:

PS: if you are interested in Numptys visit multistrada.net they whinge about side stands just like we do. personally I think the MTS stand is pretty good... well compared to the monsters precarious lean angle :eek:

Thanks for the info Daryl.

Agreed that they should have a hugger as standard - I think it is the case with all other Ducatis...

I read that the new sidestand is a whopping 40mm longer :eek: Why is it that Ducati can't get this right - they seem to have a blind spot where sidestands are concerned :mad: . I suppose it could be that as they are never down in the promotional pictures (obviously using anti-gravity) so they design them to look good in the up position :rolleyes: .

I solved the problem on the Monster by getting 25mm of steel welded on the base of the stand - looking at Multistrada.net (which I'd already found, thanx) - I see owners of the older spec bikes were doing the same.

Miles

MilesB
26-04-2005, 09:14 AM
Have you seen how good the 'new' stand is on the numpty? I'm borrowing a 620 babynumpty I call it, and it's lovely to ride, and has excellent stand not wonky at all like the previous 1000 I borrowed last year - much improved.
I love the look of the 'babynumpty' (especially in yellow or 'tangerine') and am sorely tempted :eek: , but IF we get one then it would be for 2up touring, so it would have to be the 1000.
Problem is I can't really afford 2 Ducatis :(

Miles

slug
26-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Melnie
I have never had a numpty before (actually I havent got it yet I pick it up on May 14) but from what I saw in the showrooms the 04 stand didnt look too bad. Mind you I probably thought that when I bought my Monster 2 years ago. I guess its like life, you have to live with someone before you fully appreciate/understand their idiosyncrasies . Still all credit to Ducati, at least they have refined and improved the design on the Numpt' and hopefully have done so on the Monnie as well.

MilesB
I am going to do the same as you.....I intend to visit my local blacksmith with my side stand and have it increased by 20mm or so.

The MTS engine didnt feel that much more powerful than my 800 but it is so smooth at low revs unlike my bike which can be a little lumpy, that said, I love the monster and have found it to be a very confidence inspiring bike.
I imagine the 1000 Monster is an absolute joy to ride with the DS engine.

Inspite of the £20 test ride thing, which is a fairly minor issue to be honest. I have found the 3 main Duc franchises (Manchester/Fylde superbikes, Leeds and Wolves) that I have dealt with to be excellent and very accomodating. In fact Wolves are doing my 600 service FOC :)

Melnie Mouse
26-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Melnie
The MTS engine didnt feel that much more powerful than my 800 but it is so smooth at low revs unlike my bike which can be a little lumpy, that said, I love the monster and have found it to be a very confidence inspiring bike.
I imagine the 1000 Monster is an absolute joy to ride with the DS engine.

:)

Oh yes it is, both the numpty and monster.. ask CK about the monnie she has one and loves it :D :D :)

dunxster
27-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Oh joy, the price of servicing at DLS. Once the warranty ran out on my Monster I turned my back on them. I now take it to In Moto. I don't know if they charge for a courtesy bike or if they even have one (as they're nice and local to me).

fatbloke
27-04-2005, 08:42 PM
I had a word with Tim Maccabee (MD Ducati UK) to get the official line on the
"charging for test rides" issue here is his reply

"I just wanted to clarify the background to the Ducati demo policy.
It is correct that Ducati UK demo policy pays dealers per demo ride, and
the way we monitor this is through checking the dealer records - be it
demo forms or a demo log, which the dealer has to keep for legal reasons
anyway. The motivation to pay per ride is that it means the dealers are
incentivised to use the demonstrators for..... customers to ride bikes! So
we are running a policy specifically intended to help our customers test
bikes before purchase - which is what started the whole thead off in the
first place."
Tim Maccabee

I hope this helps
TERRY

geecy1
03-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Go to P&H Motorcycles in Crawley they have full range of Ducatis and you can test them for as long as you want ,Free

geecy1
03-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Im on my third new bike from P&H and have never been asked for any money for a demo ride also i have never been on a time limit