PDA

View Full Version : Help monster won't start again

AGE996
23-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi guys am new to this site but am a regular on DSC.

I am after some help.

It seems that our monster has gone through another set of plugs yet again

It has only done about 400 miles since i put a new set in, I am running NGK R DPR9EA 9 in it but they are not sparking on the point

It did the same thing 400 miles ago so I put a new set of plugs in then and it started up again and had no probs untill now.

It is standard and I have had it on the dyno.

Has anyone else ever had this problem before ?

What Ideas do you guys have as this is doing my head in!

Scotty
23-04-2005, 10:11 PM
im sure somebody might mention the way you start the beast and choke settings or sumit

errm generic stuff realy
lots of choke just after starting is bad , short runs are bad etc etc ,most if my woes came from wet weather

Pedro
23-04-2005, 11:27 PM
That cab only be down to the fueling surely?

Sounds like the motor is running weak if it's burning plugs at that rate. Have you had the carbs set up properly and did it do it before it wet on the dyno?

Ped

AGE996
23-04-2005, 11:57 PM
That cab only be down to the fueling surely?

Sounds like the motor is running weak if it's burning plugs at that rate. Have you had the carbs set up properly and did it do it before it wet on the dyno?

Ped

carbs all set up and then put on Dyno all checked out to be spot on

New plugs had been fitted after winter as would not start has beeen running well since.

Went to start it last week and it was no go,fiddled around checking things and found no spark on front cyclender.

found some old plugs and found a good one put it in the bike and it started up.

left it 2 days and it started again, left it for 3 days then and no go :mad:

it has to be plugs braking down but why and whats the fix ?

Thank god my 996 always starts :D

spacemonkey
24-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Have you done the basic tests on the coils etc? Resistance et al. Another thing that can play up is the plug caps. It could be as simple as unscrewing the caps, cleaning the screw thread and screwing on a little tighter. I and many others use the NGK caps as they are a little better. Don't forget a dab of vaseline/silicon grease on the seal that goes over the porcelain insulator, to keep out the moisture. Pick up coil tests could be very worthwhile, as these go on a regular basis and can be intermittent,as mine have been, until I finally took the plunge and got them changed. You can test these with resistance too.

stef
24-04-2005, 11:13 AM
that's comon to mine as well, especially in this cold morning weather.
but then , the plugs are not damaged, they are only dirty. The engine is running a little rich.
i always have a set of spares with me, and a little cleaning thing. i have to clean/swap them every 400miles also. having the engine runing without riding makes it worse. and it's very easy to flood the plugs as well.
i put it down to the cold weather/ town riding.

AGE996
24-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Fitted new plugs and she's running again :cool:

Just need to fix the 996 now :lol: :lol:

Mrs Soup
25-04-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm another one who also carries spare plugs, but have found that they foul much less if I run the bike on Super. Cleaner burn maybe?