PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Advice Needed

Plum
20-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Well i have tried, but have been unsuccessful in trying to sort the kinking problem out on the fuel line. Has anyone got any advice or suggestions? I need to sort this by Sat/Sun at the latest, as i will need to cancel my boat ticket and the weekender. :(

If anyone can offer any advice, i would be really grateful, and you may just save the weekender for me. At the moment i feel that i should just cancel as i am not happy about anything concerning the bike right now. :(

Cheers

peteS4
20-04-2005, 03:44 PM
when you say problem i'm not quite sure what you mean to give any advice, chappers 600 dark had a leak, the old fuel line from the white round filter down to the round metal bit fixed to the frame below the tank went, its the end at the metal round bit, i just went to a car spares shop, found some 7.5mm internal dia rubber fuel line and replaced it, and was able to cut it to the length i wanted, cost under a fiver, thats all i can think your on about mate

CraigMac
20-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Plum.
Is your fuel line the plastic reinforced type? This type of fuel line can break downand become softer over time.
Consider fitting a stainless braided fuel hose. There is a company called pirtek with branches all over the UK who will supply this to you.

Can you elaborate on the problem.

Cheers
Craig.

CK & AK
20-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Plum, Alan says if you get really stuck, get in touch & he will try & help over the phone.

C

Plum
20-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Basically, the fuel line from the filter to the vacume thingy keeps kinking when i put the tank down. I have tried a new pipe, twisted it a 1/4 turn (sugested by the guy that has done one) to try and take the kink out when closing, but no joy. I doubt i would be able to get any replacement parts down in time, but i shouldnt have to do this as the pipes are fine and not broken or perished. Its just this kinking thats the prob now. I really couldnt give a sh1t that it looks a nail, i just want to get to the weekender!

The Kevlar Kid
20-04-2005, 04:37 PM
This may or may not be of help as I am unfamiliar with the exact part you are reffering to, but generaly to prevent kinking I would try a longer / shorter length of pipe, preferably with a stiffer wall.

If all else fails, a spring of appropriate stifness round the outside of the pipe should help cure it as a temporary measure.

Is it catching on something, perhaps, to cause the kink?

peteS4
20-04-2005, 04:40 PM
thats just reminded me. when i changed over the pipe on chappers bike there is a long spring inside the pipe, its a snug fit but it works in the same way a plumber would use a spring inside a pipe when he bends it into a curve, the spring stops the kink.......... trust me

The Kevlar Kid
20-04-2005, 04:44 PM
there is a long spring inside the pipe, its a snug fit but it ..........

I was going to suggest inside, but thought better of it as if the spring is too small it can end up somwhere it shouldn't.

As Pete says the key to an internal spring is a 'snug fit'

Albie
20-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hijack but how ya doin Pete. Did you sort out that solo seat on yours :)

peteS4
20-04-2005, 05:01 PM
hey albie, hows you fella.. the back end is off and on at the moment, not too sure if i like it or not, makes the bike look like a TL1000 from behind ! on a diff note, will you be at the protwins open day soon, i think a few of us from here are meeting up and going down.... also just had to cancel the weekender as chappers has a head problem, dave woods said he can do it but with only 4 days and a workshop already full its pushing it too close to still safely say we can make it, chappers is a bit down as she was looking forward to the ride and meet but better safe than sorry and get it back in time for protwins

Albie
20-04-2005, 05:20 PM
hey albie, hows you fella.. the back end is off and on at the moment, not too sure if i like it or not, makes the bike look like a TL1000 from behind ! on a diff note, will you be at the protwins open day soon, i think a few of us from here are meeting up and going down.... also just had to cancel the weekender as chappers has a head problem, dave woods said he can do it but with only 4 days and a workshop already full its pushing it too close to still safely say we can make it, chappers is a bit down as she was looking forward to the ride and meet but better safe than sorry and get it back in time for protwins
Should make it ok as long as not Saturday week. Will take my new passenger with me. Yes Albies got his woman. Wahey. Loves the bike too. Sorry to hear about the 600 tho. Hope to go to arrow for day

nik_the_brief
20-04-2005, 05:34 PM
I had to replace all mine recently, it was a fiddly job and I ended up doing exactly what's been suggested above. Down to the shop, buy a metre or so of fuel line then back to the garage with a stanley knife.

It's really all down to trial and error but I started off with the pipes longer than required and then kept cutting them down and refitting them until they were right. Keep putting the tank down to check for kinkage (is that a word) until the problems gone.

It really shouldn't stop you from going to the Weekender (unlike some family commitments :( ) coz all it takes is time and patience (not even any real mechanical nouse). A cup of boiling water nearby helps to soften the fuel line if you immerse it for a couple of minutes.

Once all the pipes are fitted you'll probably find that you've an air lock and I'm afraid the only remedy for that is to undo the connection at the pump (attached to the frame on the right hand side) and suck it through. Otherwise the motor will turn over but it won't fire.

Good luck, it should be fairly straightforward. Famous last words eh!! :rolleyes:

Pedro
20-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Same offer as Alan, pm me if you wanna chat about it and I'll give you my number.

What time do you arrive on Friday? I've got the day off and am not that far from poole. If you've n early boat you could scoot over to me and I'll take a look if you want.

Ped

Plum
20-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Same offer as Alan, pm me if you wanna chat about it and I'll give you my number.

What time do you arrive on Friday? I've got the day off and am not that far from poole. If you've n early boat you could scoot over to me and I'll take a look if you want.

Ped

Hi Ped

I arrive into Poole at 15.30 ish. I would like to think that i should have this sussed by the weekend. My mate is popping around as i have spoken to him tonight and he thinks he might know how to do it as he checked it out on a similar bike. Having spoken to him i think i know what he means and am gonna check it out tomorrow night when i get home. I shall let you know how i get on.

grunter
21-04-2005, 05:24 AM
make sure it not your vacuum lines colapsing as this shuts off the squirt as well had the same problem meself many moons ago? :o