PDA

View Full Version : Routes to Arrow Mill ?

MilesB
20-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Guy's and Girl's

Going to my First Monster Weekender in about a weeks time, and wondering if anyone can recommend a decent route in - preferably avoiding 'boring' roads.

Problem is, living in Kent that I need to get 'round London - so it's M25 to the M40, to Oxford (a tedious and boring 100 miles - same distance whichever way we go round the M25). From Oxford I will probably get onto the A40, the A44 to Evesham, before heading north to Alcester and Arrow Mill.

I know the A44 is good (all the way to Aberystwyth :D :burnout: ), but are there any other recomendations or places to avoid that I should consider??

Thanx, and see you there

Miles

JMo
20-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Unless you've got a helicopter (you can land at Arrow Mill x) getting around London is always going to be tedious...

The Sussex/Surrey contingent are planning to meet at Riegate Hill (J8 M25) cafe at 10.30 on the Friday, then take the route we did last year:

There is a dull bit of the M25 until J13 (Staines) then through Windsor on the A308 and onto the A404 briefly - then the A4130 via Henley on Thames to Wallingford then A4074 until you get to Harleys Cafe at Berinsfield (lunch x). Then take the A415 all the way to Witney, A40 to Burford, then the A424/A44 all the way to Evesham and up the B4088 to the Mill...

Worked for us, although it was damn wet last year...

xxx

gary tompkins
20-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Miles,

I didn't get the option of "going scenic" last year, because I couldnt leave for Stratford until I left work at 5pm. I decided to do the quick (but boring) route of M25 (J16) and M40 to J15 where you can pick up the A46, which almost takes you to Arrow Mill.

It was a mind numbing trip, but at least it got me there by about 7.30pm Which as it rained most of the way, saved me getting drenched for hours on end :rolleyes:

This year I've booked the Friday off, which gives me the option to go more scenic. Maybe we can ride up as a small group from this area?

JMo
20-04-2005, 07:27 PM
GT/Miles - You'd be welcome to hook up with us lot at Reigate Hill if you like - so far we have Didge & Jan, Martin & Carol, Sazza & Roger, and Piglet and myself...

xxx

Dark-Jon
20-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Hiya

I'm off on the Friday but there's no point me going round to Junction 8 on the M25 to meet up. I can meet up with you either at Staines as you come off the M25 or in Windsor. I take it you come off at Staines and go down through Runnymead and Old Windsor all the way on the A308? If you could gestimate roughly what time you'd be going through Windsor I'd like to tag along if that's ok?

DJ :)

JMo
21-04-2005, 07:12 AM
No Problem DJ - we should be passing through Windsor about 11.45am - so PM me your mobile number and we'll sort it out - I'm thinking perhaps on the A308 where The Ride crosses (you know, the long grassy avenue that goes from Windsor castle into the park?) just before you get to the big roundabout and the oneway bit in Windsor?

xxx

MilesB
21-04-2005, 08:28 AM
The Sussex/Surrey contingent are planning to meet at Riegate Hill (J8 M25) cafe at 10.30 on the Friday, then take the route we did last year:
xxx

Jenny

I'm afraid 10:30 at Reigate is far too early for us, as we have things to do:
a) Dentist appointment at 9am (say :eek: ), and
b) delivering the rabbits :bunny: :bunny: to their 'holiday' accomodation.

So, it's unlikely we will be on the road much before midday.
Probably going to take the following route - which minimises the Motorway work:
M20 to Junction 1 (M25 J3)
M25 Anti-clockwise (via Dartford Tunnel) to Junction 20
A41 via Aylesbury, to Bicester
B4030 via Middleton Stoney. to A4260 @ Hopcrofts Holt
Cross A4260 to join B4080 to Enstone
A40 to Chipping Norton
A44 to Evesham bypass (A46)
North to B4088, follow to Dunnington
Finally cross country to Arrow Mill

Anyone along that route (Gary T, Bob ?) who wishes to join us is welcome... PM me for my mobile number.

Miles

gary tompkins
22-04-2005, 10:17 PM
GT/Miles - You'd be welcome to hook up with us lot at Reigate Hill if you like - so far we have Didge & Jan, Martin & Carol, Sazza & Roger, and Piglet and myself...

xxx

Jenny,

Like Miles, the 10.30am kick-off is a tad early for me. Was planning to make a move between 11am and lunchtime, and go anti-clockwise on the M25 before heading north to Stratford.

Miles - you have a PM :)

JMo
25-04-2005, 11:19 PM
That's quite alright - we're planning to make a day of it you see - nice spot of lunch by the river (or maybe Harleys Cafe), gentle meander up the country lanes sort of thing... x

Mind you, if the weather is anything like last year, it will take us all bloody day anyway in the rain... humph.

xxx