PDA

View Full Version : Top Tips for helping to NOT be scared witless ?

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Please cos 13 days to go and i'm spending most nights thinking about the start of Race 1 - I'm not even on the line yet and the adrenalin is keeping me awake at nights.
I was watching Moto gp yesterday and getting all in a lather as it was me on the line and not them :eek:
Oh god what have I let myself in for :eek:
38 Bikes heading for turn 1 a hairpin - http://www.smilies.our-local.co.uk/index_files/thud.gif

The Kevlar Kid
18-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Phoenix, you'll be fine - fear is healthy ;) .

Good luck - you have my thoughts - you've more bottle than me my friend....

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Phoenix, you'll be fine - fear is healthy ;) .

Good luck - you have my thoughts - you've more bottle than me my friend....

Cheers :)
Theres a sticker over my non existant speedo which says - Dont forget to breathe :eek:

CK & AK
18-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Lin: focus & Breathe, Focus & breathe :)

then think of bike 36 :twisted:

Looking forwards to catching up with you when we arrive on the Fri

C :cool:

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Will try and save a space - I'm there Thursday evening.

JMo
18-04-2005, 06:38 PM
If it's anything like motocross (and we all line up together, not in rows!), then I tend to let the majority of the pack get ahead for the first corner, then latch onto a few coat-tails and pick up the pace from there... I guarentee you won't come last - there'll always be one eejit who dumps it (possibly at that first corner) and some may not even make it off the line without stalling...

Good luck!

xxx

CK & AK
18-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Lin - are you doing the SoT on the Sat - and/or the sessions on the Fri?
and: How many bockles of the red stuff shall I shove in the van? :confused: :D

C

claicerrig
18-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Phoenix

Dont worry you cant be as bad as me yesterday :o :o
My first serious 4 hr Enduro

Race Leaders 11 laps in 2 hrs :cool:

Clai Cerrig Dead last 1 lap in 21/2 hrs but i posted a time :D

Second half

Race leader 9 laps in 1 1/2 hrs

Clai Cerrig 1 lap and packed it in too tired :lol:

Its the taking part that counts

Most people just dream of what you are doing go out there and live it for them

Clai

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Lin - are you doing the SoT on the Sat - and/or the sessions on the Fri?
and: How many bockles of the red stuff shall I shove in the van? :confused: :D

C
I'm doing the acu test day Friday full circuit- decided not to do the SOT this time but i've joined New Era as full member to do SOT at Mallory and Pembrey. I'll get slaughtered at Pembrey but my times from Mallory the other week would have got me low midfield against 998's et al in Mallory's SOT :eek:
Don't like red hun but i'll bring some Bacardi and Coke :D and cake :D
If the weekend looks good then BBQ it is :)

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 06:51 PM
No way would I be fit enough for Enduro Clai - Well Done :)

Zimbo
18-04-2005, 07:05 PM
No need to be nervous hun, I keep telling you!! The bike's good and well prepared, the team's extremely well organised and experienced, we all know exactly what we're doing, you're a smooth and safe rider, and there's no pressure on you from anyone but yourself. Just relax!! What can possibly go wrong??? :p :p :p

Banshee
18-04-2005, 07:09 PM
You know im an expert, here are my top tips.

1.Get drunk every night...

2.Get drunk every night...

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 07:30 PM
You know im an expert, here are my top tips.

1.Get drunk every night...

2.Get drunk every night...

Been doing that already :eek:

CK & AK
18-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Lin, at least you know Max, have trackdayed him in all his finery & got a wonderful backup team.

We on the otherhand, havent finished the trottermobile - no zausts, no lockwiring done, no numbers, no stickers, big bore not run in........

and it wont be on the track till the Sun (no way is she going to be ready for the Sat :eek: ) so how many laps before she blows up eh? :o

C

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Blimey Ck it's gonna be hectic for you lot :eek: Thought you wern't gonna run the big bore till after Cadwell ?
Woodlands won't need it - there's nowhere to use the power :confused:
Well I'm sure we'll all muck in anyway finishing off late into the night if needed. I've a generator so power won't be an issue :) and we don't get told off til midnight :o
Mind you dunno how many of us will be sober by midnight :confused:

NattyBoy
18-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Give 'em half a lap L, then start reeling them in one by one... that should do it:D

Seriously though, a few deep breaths on the grid will work wonders. When I first trained years ago for presentations at work, they teach you to control your nerves and oxygen intake is the best thing you can do (presentations or racing- the principles the same - nerves !!).

I also remember absolutely shatting myself on my first track day years ago..but I just switched off from my surroundings on the grid, a few deep breaths and I was fine...although you wont have the luxury of two sighting laps....!!!

And finally remember this..no matter how experienced...EVERY rider on that grid will be feeling the same as you.

To be honest, id be more concerned about that ropey mechanic.. :lol:

Cheers
Nat

psychlist
18-04-2005, 08:27 PM
You CAN do it, you WILL do it. Never mind about everyone else, set yourself a sensible objective, finishing your first race would be a good one. Like Jen said there's gonna be some that don't make it to the start (me for one :( ), a few more that dont get past the first corner (just hang back luv and let them dice & take each other out) plus the odd ones that can't keep it up for those few short laps and expire before the end! HEY!!! You're half way up the field already ;) and that's begfore you take into account your previous experience with your own bike :bunny:

Wish I could wave a magic wand and get everything sorted but I only picked the bike up Saturday, did my ACU T-course today (100% pass :D ) and haven't even got the bits to sort her out so I haven't thought about being ready for Cadwell, but never fear, I'll be there to stop you being last at Castle Combe m'deario :moto:

Parky
18-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Hi

All you have got to do is imagine that whatever your thinking, everyone else is feeling the same way! :cool:

I remember my 1st road race at Snetterton in 2002 and at 1 point a few minutes before i went down to form up i truly felt physically sick!, but then i thought about the other guys and watching them closely in the pits, they were obviously bricking it!

I felt instantly better and because i was calm as the lights were about to turn green, i made up 21 places in 1/2 a lap!!! :D :D :D

Trust me, as soon as those lights turn green, you'll be fine! :)

Just finishing your 1st race is the most rewarding experiance imaginable and i am so gald i gave up a really good job and tried my hand a racing for a couple of years in the MRO Aprilia Mille challenge. It has changed my life forever and in the future, you can always look back and say thet you've done it...

Best of luck

Parky #74 :burnout:

CK & AK
18-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Lin, you know my Alan, always leaves everything till the last min :rolleyes:
No doubt I'll be doing the driving up there, whilst he 'fettles on the move' - just like Rockingham last year :rolleyes:

Hey-ho, I'll be glad to just hear it running.......... :lol:

C

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Cheers Nat - :lol:

Psych - I was thinking of going for it on the first corner to be honest - maybe not now :twisted:

Cheers Parky - To be honest I'm not normally nervous on a track day as soon as i get in the pit lane but i've been going through it in my head so much lately that i'm in a cold sweat sat on the sofa thinking about the start. So long as i don't start shaking we'll be alright - trouble with that is if I start I don't stop :eek:

I'm looking forward to it in a perverse sort of way but really it's gonna be here before I know it now and frankly it's a scary thought.
I just want to stay on - not get in anyones way and complete the race and bring Max back in one piece. If i do that for the first race i'll be a happy :bunny:

gary tompkins
18-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Lin,

You could try wearing a really dark visor - they say blinkers stop horses getting scared so maybe it could work for you too? :D

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Lin,

You could try wearing a really dark visor - they say blinkers stop horses getting scared so maybe it could work for you too? :D

Think i'd rather have a blindfold :D

Pedro
19-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Deep breaths will help no end, but just remember, if you do need to throw up, open your visor!!!!

Good luck, you'll be alright!

Ped

Zimbo
19-04-2005, 07:04 AM
To be honest, id be more concerned about that ropey mechanic.. :lol:

Bugger, they've seen through me :D :D :D :D

CK & AK
19-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Bugger, they've seen through me :D :D :D :D

most certainly dear! :lol:

C
xx

SAMMYE
19-04-2005, 08:38 AM
One method you could use is to imagine you are someone else like a racer you idolise like Rossi or someone. whoever it is, You will find you naturally feel confident and will ride like him.

Think about riding like them now see how good it makes you feel, feel the buzz of adrenaline and the excitement and battle for every inch of track.

Phoenix
19-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Hmm better make sure I don't think of Gibernau at that moment then ;)

SAMMYE
19-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Are you going to try it then Phoenix? A lot of top Sports people use this method, a simple trick which boosts confidence.

There is another method you could try but I would have to meet you in order to do the old "look into my eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes into the eyes, your under" trick

Phoenix
19-04-2005, 09:49 AM
the old "look into my eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes into the eyes, your under" trick

That might work ;) :D

Zimbo
19-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Right, one hypnosis correspondence course ordered. I'm going to hypnotise you before each race and make you believe you're Rossi. Then you can barge the race leader off track out of Barn on the last lap, stuff him into the Armco, and put yourself on the rostrum, and everyone will believe it was his fault :D
Right, that's that sorted then!!!

Phoenix
19-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah but if i try going round the track with me feet off the pegs it's sods law the rest of me would follow - i'd only do it if the door was left ajar of course :D

psychlist
19-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Then you can barge the race leader off track out of Barn on the last lap, stuff him into the Armco, and put yourself on the rostrum, and everyone will believe it was his fault :D
Right, that's that sorted then!!!

Try that one on someone my size and I'll probably end up watching all you featherweights bounce off :D ;)

Phoenix
19-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Try that one on someone my size and I'll probably end up watching all you featherweights bounce off :D ;)

Now where did i put those extra extra very very large mushrooms ? :twisted:

psychlist
19-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Now where did i put those extra extra very very large mushrooms ? :twisted:

:D :D :D I ate them as well as all the pies :eek: