PDA

View Full Version : Clutch push rod

Meteor
18-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Following leaking problems with the original clutch slave cylinder on my '98 M900, I managed to get a post 2000 cylinder off e-bay and also a push rod purporting to be from a 748/9*6 (which I thought were longer).

To my dismay the replacement pushrod is no longer than the original :( - 327mm

Can anyone tell me which model the longer rod was fitted to, a part number and where I may get one from please?

thanks in advance.....

Pedro
18-04-2005, 12:10 PM
You do in fact need the push rod from a 748/996 motor. It's about 10mm longer from memory and cost about £25. Reckon you got an original version one there!!

Can't tell you the part number but you could try Lee Tiller (ex of this site under the name Superlight3) on his ebay shop. Search the shops section for "ducatisparesonline" (all one word) - he had the correct item last I looked.

Ped

Zimbo
18-04-2005, 05:45 PM
It is indeed a 748 clutch rod required, and it is slightly longer than the original. They're £22 plus VAT from a dealer. An alternative is to buy a refurbished and leak free original type slave cylinder from Rich Lewellen for £15, he gets his own seals made and always has a couple in stock.

Pedro
18-04-2005, 09:39 PM
The later cylinder is a much better design as there's less chance of chain snot getting in. If you do fit the later one, get a chunky o ring to fit between the cylinder and the case over the push rod to help keep the goo and grit out.

Ped

Meteor
21-04-2005, 07:20 AM
As a short term fix while I track down a longer rod, I have used an 8mm dia. ball bearing as a spacer.
The existing rod is also 8mm dia. and the difference between slave cylinders is approx. 8.5mm so it might just work - I'll post my findings once I finish bleeding it.

Pedro
21-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure that's a good idea..... I checked "Ducatisparesonline" on Fleabay and he has the item you need - you should get it within two days at most.

Ped

Meteor
21-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks Ped

I had checked with ducatisparesonline as suggested but could not find the item and I still waiting for a reply to an e-mail I sent them - do you have a link.

In the mean time what part of my fix worrys you? Apart from the risk of transferring all of the force over a small contact point (both ball and rod are hardened steel) I can't think of any other risk.

Pedro
21-04-2005, 03:59 PM
Doh! I think he must have sold the one he had in stock. I'll pm you his phone number so you can give him a call.

Ped

Rockhopper
21-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Your ball bearing fix should be fine, infact a very well respected Ducati service person told me about the same fix.

nik_the_brief
25-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi - after buying a new pushrod and slave I find myself in exactly the same situation as Meteor was. Pushrod appears to be exactly the same length as my old 'un and therefore the plates will not separate as it's not long enough to move the pressure plate out far enough.

As a temporary fix I want to follow the same route as he did (an 8mm ball bearing) - now my dumb question of the day is:

Do I put it in the slave cylinder or should it be placed under the metal part at the pressure plate end of the pushrod which sits in the bearing?

Cheers guys.

Nik

lcjohnny
25-09-2008, 06:21 PM
I put mine in the slave cylinder
Think It was an 8.5 or 9mm size and my only concern is that it sits off centre as the bore of the slave cylinder is over 10mm - long term the side thrust might wear the slave piston. So on consideration I think I will see if I can get it out and put it in the other end!

PS I have a few balls left in the bag if anyone wants to PM me (if you know what i mean):o

Jon

nik_the_brief
25-09-2008, 10:03 PM
I put mine in the slave cylinder
Think It was an 8.5 or 9mm size and my only concern is that it sits off centre as the bore of the slave cylinder is over 10mm - long term the side thrust might wear the slave piston. So on consideration I think I will see if I can get it out and put it in the other end!

PS I have a few balls left in the bag if anyone wants to PM me (if you know what i mean):o

Jon

Cheers Jon,

Looks like I'm off to buy a pack of assorted sized ball bearings tomorrow then. Think I'll dig out my vernier calipers to measure the diameter of the pushrod and then get one of equal size.

Fingers crossed...

Meteor
27-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I fitted the ball bearing into the slave cylinder end. I'm pretty sure the internal diameter of the cylinder was not much more than 8mm.

I've only recently changes the set up as I got an MPL replacement from e-bay, which came with its own spacer - if it helps I'm happy to try and find the ball bearing that I used and send it to you....

nik_the_brief
29-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Cheers mate, got one on Saturday from Kent Bearings, fitted it in less than ten minutes and all's well in the world.

For future reference for others out there in the same position the slave cylinder bore is exactly 8mm in diameter and the ball bearing trick is almost better that just the pushrod - a lovely smooth action.

DavidT
03-10-2008, 07:14 PM
An alternative is to buy a refurbished and leak free original type slave cylinder from Rich Lewellen for £15, he gets his own seals made and always has a couple in stock.

Could you give me more details on that? I have an after-market slave cylinder with a larger bore, supposedly to make the pull lighter (came with a spacer to make up the length of the early push rod) and I don't think it matches the old style master cylinder. I have suffered it dragging for long enough and was thinking about going back to the standard fitting.

Thanks
David