PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of bying

geecy1
17-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi, first time on this forum. Chopping in my 04 Fazer 1000 as now living in central London and is too big and heavy for traffic riding. Took a test ride on new S2r and liked it a lot ,can anyone tell me anything about them or does any of you out there own one? Oh, i forgot to mention i owned a Multistrada before the Fazer but never realy got confident with its height but liked just about everything else except looks.

slob
17-04-2005, 06:18 PM
I bought a 620 a couple of years back, because I wanted something with a light clutch for commuting across London that was still fun on the open road.
I would definitely consider the 800 as the 620 is a little underpowered on the open road, loaded up. I'll be test riding an S2R in the next couple of weeks too. Check out servicing costs/ intervals, which you might find a bit of a shock if you're used to Jap. bikes, also the monster has very little lock-to-lock range which can be a bit of a pain in really heavy traffic. Overall a very pleasant bike to ride, good power delivery and excellent handling. Not entirely convinced by the S2R's 'budget brakes' but I haven't tried them myself yet and my dark only has a single caliper which is adequate for normal use. I'm sure one of those who's tried both will let you know.
....what I really mean is.... BUY IT NOW!

JMo
17-04-2005, 06:21 PM
S2R is a real nice bike, especially for the money...

Some people complain that the Monster doesn't have a great steering lock, so threading through tight traffic can be a bit tricky, although I've ridden through London loads of times and haven't found it a problem... the new psudo-slipper clutch on the S2R (and 620) is meant to be lighter in action in comparison to the earlier bikes too.

There are a number of MOC members who do use their bikes day in and day out as a commuter, and while reliability is fine, I would say that they can be a pain to keep clean (lots of nooks and crannies) if you use them in all weathers - still, the black frame and wheels on the S2R should not show the dirt so much x

The main thing about owning a Monster that anyone here will tell you is the sense of pride you get with owning a Ducati, and that the UKMOC is probably one of the most friendly and helpful bunch of people you could wish to meet as far as bike clubs are concerned - and if that is an important part of the ownership experiance for you, then I'd say go for it!

We've got a few members already with S2R's, so hopefully you'll get a few actual ownership experiances from them too...

xxx

DesmoDog
17-04-2005, 08:35 PM
S2R is lovely, and not as much gubbins stuck to the side of the lump as the new S4. It realy looks nice. If I had the moolah I'd definatley go for it. Nice.

Klokk66
18-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Returning to the UKMOC and ducati riding fold shortly - following bad times on Jap bike :twisted: a couple of interesting 'offs' knee surgery :eek: and exstensive physio :mad: - I won't bore you further.

Anyway, I went up to Manchester Ducati to see the retro sports range and saw one or two very cool S2Rs in all types of colours. If Manchester Ducati wont do me a good deal on a GT1000 then I think I'll take a S2 BUT!

:confused: Despite a few warm words on the forum (spurred by a old MCN article), I cant find anyone on the forum whose had one and can say what they're about. What's wrong with the brakes for example....aren't they using the brembos my beloved 620sie had?

This months/years WHAT BIKE reckons that the S2R is better than the M1000DS. Does that mean it's likely to be a better buy than the GT1000 - which I presume is using the same motor. Anyone like to comment?

KLOKK66
Newbie Northerner (previously of 'darn sarf').

CK & AK
18-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi KloKK (he of the smokin rear! ;) )

good to see you pop up your head again! :D

you really ought to remember: DONT believe the magazines :rolleyes:

C :cool:

ps: you would enjoy one of the 'special' offer M1000's - see a piece by Fatbloke in the news section/Portal page :cool:

Klokk66
18-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Smokin rear? - by which you obviously mean how hot my a##e looks in leather ?............No?.....Oh well.

You're dead right about the mags though. That's why I'm back at the font of all Monster knowledge. It's that ****e 'n' shinola thing - and gettin feedback from people that know the difference.

I'll take a look at that Fatbloke spread...peice....you know what I mean.

Ta luv. (he said in his best Jack Duckworth voice) :p :)

Klokk66

CK & AK
18-05-2005, 04:19 PM
yer tis linky thing for you mate;

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?threadid=11963

happy shopping! ;)

JMo
18-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi Klokk - you could try PM'ing Elmo or Banshee as they both have S2R's (Elmo used to have an M900 before that)...

I took a demo S2R out the other week, and I must say it is really impressive - felt very smooth and refined, and plenty of go, especially if you want to accellerate much past 100mph (where the 620 starts to slow down) - I rode Fatblokes M1000 the other week too though, and that has much more grunt in that mid to upper range - it just pulls and pulls... but the 1000cc engine is far lumpier, espeically pulling away at low revs around town for example...

I really don't know what the fuss about the S2R brakes are - yes they don't have the same inital feel as the four pots on my 620 (I also have fat wavy disks that help in that department), but the brakes are nice and progressive - you just have to squeeze quite hard to draw up sharply, but overall they felt good.

Get a test ride on an S2R if you haven't already - it's a real hoot!

xxx

Klokk66
18-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Hhmmm...

plenty to think about. Probably have to try both then.

Ta.

Klokk66 ;)

DesmoDog
19-05-2005, 08:16 AM
I think the only thing the journos do is look at the difference in stats because they said much the same about the multistrada. Doesn't the S2 have a single disc as a pose to the S4 having double? I'll get me coat.

Banshee
19-05-2005, 08:54 AM
It looks sooooooooooooo sexy, am i on the right forum? no one has mentioned the brakes!!!! its a good all rounder i love it... :lol:

JMo
19-05-2005, 11:08 AM
I think the only thing the journos do is look at the difference in stats because they said much the same about the multistrada. Doesn't the S2 have a single disc as a pose to the S4 having double? I'll get me coat.

Put that coat on and close the door behind you!

S4R (and other Monnys except 600/620 dark which only have single disk) have twin four-pot gold brembos and 320mm disks.

S2R (and '05 model 620ie) has twin two-pot sliding brembos and 300mm disks.

xxx

Dave G
19-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Agree with banshee! Its a great allrounder,I love it too.
The brakes are not bad and still better than some of the jap opposition,I find they need a firmer grasp than previous ducati's but the bottom line is.....they work!
The brakes are meant to be more novice friendly,and I know the sharpness of my M750dark's brakes put off the woman who was going to buy that from me, she found them too intimidating.
It is a 'budget' bike in so far as its built to a price but that doesnt mean its not great.It handles really well,steers really easily-possibly the lightweight wheels help it looks fantastic and much nicer than the S4R too,the slipper style clutch is really good,the pegs are high but that means I wont ground them anywhere.It actually sounds pretty good even with the stock cans.(Which I prefer over any aftermarket ones I've seen so far)
Niggly points could be...theres no tool to adjust the chain with (an old 916 one will fit) and I feel the need to tidy up some of the wires and cables to make them look less obvious.
Go and test ride one,they're Fab! :D :D :burnout:

Banshee
19-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Elmo couldn't wait to change his cans and has now done so(picture please Elmo) but i like the standard cans to.

Mojo is doing her do on my S2R on Sunday and that will be it for mods for me.