PDA

View Full Version : to slip or not slip

steve kearl
16-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi chaps and chappets, Looking for some info if poss. My S4 needs the clutch plates and basket replacing which works out to be about £210 for the parts if I fit them. What I was wondering is, is it worth fitting a slipper clutch as I have heard that they don't wear the plates so quickly. I got 12000 miles out my plates. Has anybody got any thoughts on this? are they better or purely for racing and has anybody fitted a slipper clutch? if so what sort of mileage have you had from the plates and what is it like compared to the standard clutch.
Thanks dudes

Scotty
16-04-2005, 12:19 PM
well
the race slipper clutch as per S4 challange bikes eats plates for breakfast lunch and tea and gives a horrable biting point every time you pull away its a raceing start or a stall good eh

ive no idea about the slipper clutches for road use

i got plates and a basket (light alloything) from some ebay seller in germany £140 or sumit ?

Mr Cake
16-04-2005, 02:22 PM
ive no idea about the slipper clutches for road use

Not much need for them for road use in my opinion.

Dave

Scotty
16-04-2005, 02:39 PM
think i got through 2 sets of plates in 12 k miles and then put the standard clutch back on after the spring broke in slipper clutch

slob
16-04-2005, 02:39 PM
I agree with C&F, I like 'a bit of engine braking' and generally avoid dropping several gears entering bends I don't know well. I also saw a new member, who'd just bought an s2r complaining about finding the bite-point http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=11655

Pedro
16-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Hi chaps and chappets, Looking for some info if poss. My S4 needs the clutch plates and basket replacing which works out to be about £210 for the parts if I fit them. What I was wondering is, is it worth fitting a slipper clutch as I have heard that they don't wear the plates so quickly. I got 12000 miles out my plates. Has anybody got any thoughts on this? are they better or purely for racing and has anybody fitted a slipper clutch? if so what sort of mileage have you had from the plates and what is it like compared to the standard clutch.
Thanks dudes

I'd go for stock personally, engine braking saves on brake pads!

Getting the clutch centre undone is a bit of a sh*t as the nut is v tight. If you need it, I've made a tool to hold the clutch drum from old plates if you wanna borrow it - I'm not far from you, Fareham way.

Ped

claicerrig
16-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I agree with Scotty :) its either a race start or an embarissing stall and a hill start is like a lottery

The S4 slipper clutch and metal plates are a pain :eek: but when i changed to slipper clutch and standard plates they are awsum :D Really suits me riding style

I too broke a Main Spider spring at 5500 miles and had to replace the clutch with the standard set up .Till i could source springs (Thank`s to Stewart @ Spareshack )
My recomendation is have one fitted and a spare spring, if you are using a DP 748R slipper clutch like is fitted to the Challange bikes.
Cos they are very fragile judging by experience

I really miss it when its not there ,i find it usefull on the road. :) It gives me more control braking from the engine wise as well as even better control on the track :)

My opinion is that i prefer having one on my Monnie :D than Not :(

This is my opinion best thing i can recomend is try each set up and see have you feel because in the end its personel prefrence :burnout:

Hope this helps you decide !!!!!

Clai

steve kearl
18-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks Guys for all your suggestions, will more than likely give it a miss then. Was trying to think of something nice to buy for the bike when my compensation money comes through as it looks like I won't get enough money through for a single sided swing arm converstion from metmachex. So I will have to think of something else.
thanks again Guys

Scotty
18-04-2005, 09:13 PM
umm i eventually got a replacment spring from a maindealer £37 off one of the more tricked up bike that came with a slipper as std

noticed the new range of slipper clutches have a bigger shaped spring maybe there better ?

claicerrig
18-04-2005, 09:19 PM
Scotty

Seeing as how the clutches are the same as on the 748r does the S4 moter kick out more power ?

Thus causing the spring to break Just a thought!!!!

Bet some one will straightn me out :eek:

Scotty
18-04-2005, 09:30 PM
i think it might be the spanner monkeys who break the springs,
i assumed the slipperclutch was one size fits all such as the 998r and the like with loads a PoWeR

Mr Cake
19-04-2005, 03:58 PM
looks like I won't get enough money through for a single sided swing arm converstion from metmachex

I wouldn't bother. If it was that good Ducati would have carried it over to the 999 and 749 range.

Dave