PDA

View Full Version : Decibel Killers ?

Phoenix
15-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Anyone tried them in their cans yet ?
There's a strict 105db rule at Castle Combe and I want to plan ahead. I'm having bike noise tested at Cadwell but seeing as my Sil's aren't new I expect they will go over the limit and that would rule me out of racing at Castle.
I've found some here : http://www.performanceracingparts.co.uk/dbkill.htm
and they say they will fit Sil's
Just want to kno if anyone has tried them?
Ta muchly :)

Ger_Tom
15-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't go for those offered.
With them in your open exhaust you will have a quite rough running engine and may have to adjust the engine to them.

There are other noise killers around (especially for Sil exhausts), which do not interfere too much with the air flow of your exhaust system and reduce the level of sound to 86db. Even with some burned out exhausts you should be fine with 105db.
They look a bid like these:
http://www.desmorados.com/shop/catalog/images/DB.00.00011.jpg

You can write a mail to desmo@desmoworld.de. They also ship to the UK and have the "Sil db eaters" on their sales list.

Regards
Tom

Phoenix
15-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Email sent - thank you :)

I have looked around but can't seem to find anything for Sil exhausts so if you know of any route I can follow please let me know.

logyk
15-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I used a similar piece of kit on my 996 to slightly quieten my Termis for a trip on the continent.

The inserts worked fine and I did not have to adjust the fuelling although of course the bike is fuel injected .....yours may not be !

Good luck with it.

crust
15-04-2005, 01:45 PM
how about Spareshack?

Stuart had some.

:) Crust

Phoenix
15-04-2005, 02:40 PM
how about Spareshack?

Stuart had some.

:) Crust
Does he ? - hmmm i'll give him a ring then - thanks hun :)

TP-996
15-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Can you post back here with how you get on? I my be looking at these to fit my Leo Vince cans on the 620 for Castle Combe.

Cheers :D

Phoenix
15-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Can you post back here with how you get on? I my be looking at these to fit my Leo Vince cans on the 620 for Castle Combe.

Cheers :D

Sure hun - it's been bothering me lots. I'm going to try and get them for Cadwell as the tech guy at new era said he'll test the cans for me- hopefully we can do a before and after and we'll know if we will pass Castle's very strict noise rules. I'd hate to get all the way there only to find we can't race.

pete
15-04-2005, 05:03 PM
You may want to check this thread out as well:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=11309&highlight=killers

A few posts in is the URL of another place that does db killers which will apparently fit any cans that are of the correct diameter (which my Leo Vinces appear to be). The original place that Phoenix mentioned told me their db killers won't fit Leo Vince cans as the tailpipe is a bit smaller than most sports cans - mine are 47-48 mil and I think the guy told me his were 50m.
He also mentioned another difficulty with Leo Vince cans but I can't remember what it was.

Not sure about the SILs of course as I don't know what size tailpipe they have.

I'll be very interested in finding if anyone has fitted db killers to Leo Vince cans and if so which ones.

walkingpictures
15-04-2005, 11:40 PM
You may want to check this thread out as well:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=11309&highlight=killers

A few posts in is the URL of another place that does db killers which will apparently fit any cans that are of the correct diameter (which my Leo Vinces appear to be). The original place that Phoenix mentioned told me their db killers won't fit Leo Vince cans as the tailpipe is a bit smaller than most sports cans - mine are 47-48 mil and I think the guy told me his were 50m.
He also mentioned another difficulty with Leo Vince cans but I can't remember what it was.

Not sure about the SILs of course as I don't know what size tailpipe they have.

I'll be very interested in finding if anyone has fitted db killers to Leo Vince cans and if so which ones.

Pete...get another beer mate and get some ear plugs ;)

Grey beards r u ;) ;)

Kimbo :)

nambduke
17-04-2005, 09:28 PM
I've found a company in Italy that sells DB killers for Mivi(?) exhausts in a range of sizes. I was looking to fit some but I really like the sound of my 1000ie/High Level Titanium cans.....

Link is:
http://www.carpimoto.it/channel/Lang_EN/Chan_443/Page_2.htm

Regards,
nambduke

MotoNik
18-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Just thought I should mention - Combe are very strict on noise (VERY strict), and they've been known to fail bikes with standard cans on....

You might need to consider taking some standard cans along just in case.

Apparently local residents get shirty about the noise. Don't live near a f'ing racetrack I say....

Nik

Ger_Tom
18-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Email sent - thank you :)
Did you get a reply from Desmoworld?

Phoenix
18-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Did you get a reply from Desmoworld?
Nope I haven't.
Ordered some from Stuart now though - just to make sure - and assuming we will be racing there given the current situation!

TP-996
24-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Nope I haven't.
Ordered some from Stuart now though - just to make sure - and assuming we will be racing there given the current situation!

From Spareshack?

Phoenix
24-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Yes-once i remember to call him !

retskcid
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Apologies for resurecting this thread, however I am a bit concerned at the noise (lovely though it is) my S4 makes - as I leave for work at 5.30am when most of my neighbours a tucked up in bed - and wondered whether these were any good?

http://www.predatorexhaust.co.uk/unitrader/shop/product/UNIVERSAL-BAFFLE-INSERT-db-killer-BSI-FOR-50-8MM-RACE-CANS/9

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110216745321

Seems a shame to drill into the Termi's....

Gilps
12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
That's the kind of thing that I use for my DD bike. You do have to drill a hole though.

Nickj
12-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I didn't like the shove in at an angle biz on my pipes so I cut and welded them to fit 'properly'

damon
12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I used a similar piece of kit on my 996 to slightly quieten my Termis for a trip on the continent.

The inserts worked fine and I did not have to adjust the fuelling although of course the bike is fuel injected .....yours may not be !

Good luck with it.

are they really that bad on the continent? i was just going to go with my cans cored out as per normal? obviosuly when i see the fuzz i'll ease off the throttle a tad :)

retskcid
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
That's the kind of thing that I use for my DD bike. You do have to drill a hole though.

Cheers, I may give them a try.

Nickj
12-02-2008, 06:15 PM
am a bit concerned at the noise (lovely though it is) my S4 makes - as I leave for work at 5.30am

Just leave really quickly hopefully before they register that the windows are vibrating you'll be gone :D

Rather than drill could you get some spring steel clips bent up, as long as you have some suitable material under the outside part of the clip it wouldn't mark the pipes. Hey might work and no drilling in sight.

retskcid
12-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Just leave really quickly hopefully before they register that the windows are vibrating you'll be gone :D

Rather than drill could you get some spring steel clips bent up, as long as you have some suitable material under the outside part of the clip it wouldn't mark the pipes. Hey might work and no drilling in sight.

Haha, I have thought about pushing the bike around the corner before I fire it up. Yeah, I'll try and do it without drilling.

What's the sound like with these things? I don't want to be too quiet!

mjaeger
08-04-2008, 02:15 PM
retskcid, did you install any dB killers? I got some Termis for my M620ie last week but my ears are throbbing now :shocked:. I just need to take the edge off the booming in my ears and was wondering how they worked and how you attached them (to drill or not to drill)?

Thanks

retskcid
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi Michael.

its still a work in progress i am afraid.

I bought these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360022491472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=023

but they needed cutting down too far to fit because the outlet on the can is angled. shortened they are not effective.

i need to buy some more and get them cut and welded at an angle to fit in the can full length.

the bolts supplied are too big! i was going to drill tiny holes underneath and use small split pins.

Rich

Capo
08-04-2008, 04:26 PM
If (IF) you manage to get hold of Chris at Desmoworld, could you let me know.
Thanks

JerryXt
08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
retskcid, did you install any dB killers? I got some Termis for my M620ie last week but my ears are throbbing now :shocked:. I just need to take the edge off the booming in my ears and was wondering how they worked and how you attached them (to drill or not to drill)?

Thanks

you use ear plugs :D

mjaeger
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
you use ear plugs :D

...and that's what I have been trying. I tried with some EAR ones but I couldn't hear a thing which I didn't like at all - you know what I mean, you feel very isolated from the rest of the world, plus I was still getting some thumping in my ears :dizzy:.

So today I bought some Howard Leight Max Lites which are much better. I'm not getting thumped in the ear anymore and I can still hear what's going on. I never realised that there would be a difference between different ear plugs.

Maybe my ears are just resonating with a certain frequency?

I don't know, do many riders wear ear plugs?

retskcid
09-04-2008, 06:04 AM
I used to when I started riding - the foam ones that you squash to put in there. I read years ago that you could damage your ears with all the wind noise etc. However, I have not worn them for a few years now - just too lazy I guess, but I don't mind them.

You might want to buy some for your neighbours too! :thumbsup:

retskcid
09-04-2008, 06:16 AM
anyone used these or got any comments? I'm thinking of trying them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280211555955&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

they are a little expensive.

mjaeger
09-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I have ordered a pair of these (in a differente size) and will let you know how they go:

http://www.predatorexhaust.co.uk/unitrader/shop/product/UNIVERSAL-BAFFLE-INSERT-db-killer-BSI-FOR-50-8MM-RACE-CANS/9

The only downside is that the cans are supposed to be drilled, but I will try to work around that one.

retskcid
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
They're the same as the £10 ebay ones! :eek:

Anyway, I would be very interested to get your views on them once installed.

Are the ends (outlets) of your cans angled?

Rich

mjaeger
09-04-2008, 11:53 AM
They're the same as the £10 ebay ones! :eek:

I'm sure that as they cost more they are far superior ;) . Anyway they don't look at all similar.

Are the ends (outlets) of your cans angled?

Yes. The guy at predator said that they have years of experience there and know exhausts inside out and that these are specially designed to fit angled outlets, so he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I will let you know how I get on.

retskcid
16-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I'll be interested in seeing them, the ones in the link look exactly like my ones.