PDA

View Full Version : Tyres - how low do you go??

Taman
12-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, looks like my first pair of tyres are starting to get a bit on the worn side. Nearly at the markers (those things between the tread indicating you should change tyres).

Am curious whether I should be replacing now, or it's ok to wait until they start hitting the markers. Imagine this is just a case of losing grip and not actually dangerous in an exploding tyre kind of way!

Cheers!

Scotty
12-04-2005, 03:12 PM
i wore one down to the canvas once
and didnt kill myself
but i did burst a tyre somehow the other week hummm

dean
12-04-2005, 03:25 PM
as far as i understand it, tread is only for grip in wet weather. It's the tyre compound itself that gives you grip in the dry. If you do decide to change your tyres, remember to "scrub them in", i.e ride them at civilised speeds for about 100 miles. With regards to the markers, i supect they are there for a reason!

Apologies if this is stuff you already knew.

The Kevlar Kid
12-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Right down to the markers should be ok - it's what i usually do anyhow.

Legal minimum tread depth is 1mm for bikes I think :confused:

Pedro
12-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Min depth is 1.6mm across the full width of the tread.

Ped

singletrack
12-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Ped
Sorry Ped but I think you will find that minimum tread is not less than 1mm forming a continuous band at least three quarters breadth of the tread, and all the way round. The base of the groove which showed on the original tread must also be seen clearly all around the tyre.

Taman, the wear indicators are usually exposed when the tread is worn to 1mm (or in some cases more than 1mm) so you should be safe to hit the markers before you replace. (As long as there are no long cuts, lumps, bulges, tears or exposed canvas)

Mr Cake
12-04-2005, 09:43 PM

Ped

Its 1mm for both cars and bikes.

Dave

PaulS
12-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Its 1mm for both cars and bikes.

Dave

Strangely it's 1mm for bikes (above 50cc) and 1.6mm for cars "throughout a continuous band across at least ¾ of the breadth of the tread and around the entire circumference". And for bikes (above 50cc) "In the quarter where the tread may be less than 1.0mm, the original tread pattern must be visible".

Taman
13-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the tips. Suppose the deal is that I'm basically safe, but will have to replace when I hit the markers to be legal. Well, generally feel happier being safe and illegal than unsafe and legal...

OK - imagine there's no consensus on this, but are there any favourite tyres for a M900? Is there a good place in the west midlands to get replaced? Are tyres expensive??

Zimbo
13-04-2005, 06:52 PM
I can recommend Robsom Racing, see link in Phoenix's sig. Tyre of choice - I'm hugely impressed by the Pirelli Diablos I'm using at the moment, good in the wet, fantastic in the dry, brilliant for trackdays too, wear rates pretty reasonable. Expect to pay around £170 - £180 ish a pair fitted to loose wheels, that's a general price, see what Mike at RR offers.

Taman
13-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Cool - not far away at all. Will check them out. Thx!

Pedro
13-04-2005, 10:07 PM
I stand corrected! At least I'll know for sure next time!

And Zimbo is right, Diablos are ace!

Phoenix
15-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Cool - not far away at all. Will check them out. Thx!

http://www.robsomracing.co.uk

He's in Shipston on Stour.