PDA

View Full Version : dodgy electrics.....

brixtonjacks
09-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Right.

Brake light stays on all the time. Or should I say most of the time, cos sometimes it's not on all the time but still works if I apply the brakes. but then it'll stick on again. :confused: and then the other evening I was talking to a mate and had the key in with the lights switched off, brake light was on and then went off for no reason. I thumped the top of the seat and hey presto! It stuck on again.... :confused: Also.....
When I first turn the key and the electrics come on, the main beam blue indicator light comes on for a second or two, but no lights at the front, then the blue indicator light goes out and the dipped beam comes on. All front lights then work ok. However, if I switch off the lights completely, when I apply the brake the front light comes on. :confused:

My electrics are buggered aren't they? :(

I'm wondering if I'd have to do a complete re-wire and is that a mad thing to undertake? I don't want to put it into the garage has have just had to get the car (spit spit, I know) serviced and that cost £400!!! :mad:

I can still ride it although I don't like the fact that the brake light is effectively inoperable but I'm thinking of riding the thing to Italy and back in August and I'd quite like it to all be in full working order?.... :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
09-04-2005, 03:29 PM
front brake or rear? the front joins the loom front right, I replaaced my rear switch for a goodridge hydro pressure one? it is not complicated just a process of getting the seat off and tank up and having a fiddle, most probably a shortcircuit, early bike are quite prone to these and I have locating the buggers down to a fine art, get an led bulb for the back too as the standard ones are prone to vibes. You just need to be patient checking all the connections, the trick is finding it but when you do its ten minutes to fix.

slob
09-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Your electrickery does sound a little 'confused'.
As Signor Yerburrito says, it's probably a short or two.
My current contract at work finishes 22/04 and my time is my own for a couple of weeks before I go travelling, unless I get an offer I can't refuse.
If you haven't tracked the problem down by then, I'd be happy to give you a helping hand if you need it/you're new to elecrical fault finding etc. etc.
I assume from your handle you're in the SW2 area?

brixtonjacks
09-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks Yerbury and thank you extra to Mr Slob.
Actually it's the SW9 side of Brixton but sarf lundun indeed. I haven't had that much of a look at it yet, I took the bulb out and cleaned the contacts and that seemed to help a bit but now it's playing up again.
I'm quite happy to mess about and try to fix things myself but have never really done much on the electrics side!
So. I think it's just the front but to be honest I haven't checked if it does that same stuff on the back as well. I'll do that this evening.
Where can I get an LED bulb? I hate going to my local Metropolis. Does Spareshack do them?
And Rob, If I can't get it fixed I would very much appreciate a helping hand. I'll let you know how I go. But not a whole rewiring job then? That's a plus I suppose...?
Thanks guys. :D

slob
09-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I'd definitely try to avoid a complete rewire!

...these seem quite popular among monsterers
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=539405
available nearly everywhere... try Gericke at Stockwell if you avoid Metropolis.

Are you about Thursday night? do you ever cross the water?
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=11674