PDA

View Full Version : Not Again....

Byron Kauffman
08-04-2005, 06:26 PM
MG Rover is closing its doors. When I was over there last there were MGFs all over the place. I thought MG was doing OK.

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/birminghampost/news/tm_objectid=15380351%26method=full%26siteid=50002% 26headline=it%2ds%2dend%2dof%2dthe%2droad%2dfor%2d mg%2drover-name_page.html

NattyBoy
08-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Unfortunatley not Byron...they are a customer of mine so ive known there predicament for some time. Its a case of the old rover management having the same business ideas/attitudes im afraid..

I do blame the germans to a certain degree...selling off Rover and keeping the Mini. Most of the mini innovation came from Rover engineers and that would have been the saviour of Rover had it been allowed to retain it.

Think theres only Morgan left now as decent sized car company. Even TVR's owned by some russian billionaire as of the back end of last year... :mad:

Cheers
Nat

A Yerbury
08-04-2005, 06:59 PM
the morgan plant is the size of your average primary school so if thats the best we can do?! with beemer lumps.

Plum
08-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Have to admit, its a shame, but they are not the best cars in the world. They were trying to be competitive in a market where some euro manufacturers build cars at a similar price. If truth be told though, there isnt really a real british car anymore. And when you think that its only a handfull of companies who own about 90% of all car brands its no surprise.
I worked in finance many years ago (remember 15%+ interset rates) and someone told me that all the big banks would be owned by only a couple of bigger banks, i was like'Yeah, right!' How wrong was i. Its going the same way in all areas

A Yerbury
08-04-2005, 07:15 PM
the good old myth of capitalism creates diversity, cheers Thatcher. Rovers schmovers, I dont want anything from birmingham. The cerb 12 is nice though.

slob
08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
A couple of years back I heard someone say, after a Malaysian company bought Lotus, that 'The largest British owned motor manufacturer is London Taxis International'.

DesmoDog
09-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I work in shipbuilding, if you honestly think that the car industry has a chance take a look at what successive governments have done to our industry and you will see where it's going. The car plants are only getting attention because cars are an everyday sight to the average prole.

Didge
09-04-2005, 08:17 AM
British industry has, compared to what it used to be, been destroyed thanks to past governments.
We are now a country of (mostly) short term service industries. This place is a sh*t-hole.

slob
09-04-2005, 08:34 AM
...We are now a country of (mostly) short term service industries...

not for long...

off·shoring (ôfshôr, -shr, f-)
adj.
1. Moving or directed away from the shore: an offshore wind.
2. a. Butt-F*cking the little people that have worked for you for
oh-so-many years to make your company what it is today to the single benefit of shareholders who are too stupid to realise that there will be no-one left to sell f*cking insurance too when they have all been put out of work.

Didge
09-04-2005, 11:35 AM
How true Slob.....how very true.

Richard_S
09-04-2005, 05:32 PM
they have not built a good car in years, i am amazed they have gone on this long tbh. My neighbour drives a "MG" Metro and he has crap hair and a lazy eye, nuff said.

DesmoDog
11-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Ooooh MG Metro. Classy. Rover group was the absolute stereo type of your namesake's movie "I'm alright Jack" and it's no wonder the Govt. is ****ting on industry from a great hight. Payback anyone?

The Kevlar Kid
12-04-2005, 03:55 PM
New badge for anyone that owns a Rover - bless 'em

Chappers
12-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I only traded my MR ZR in 2wks ago...thank god :eek: :lol: