PDA

View Full Version : Speedo help!

scrumpster
05-04-2005, 05:48 PM
My speedo decided to stop working on the way home, and I can't get the screw undone. Any ideas anyone, likely cause etc. Could it be that oil from my leaky fork seal has got down the cable? I'm so useless, I can't see any loose bits at either end of the cable :confused:

gary tompkins
05-04-2005, 06:25 PM
My guess would be that the inner cable has snapped? I've had 3 snap on my monsters so far, despite greasing them regularly :rolleyes: Try to undo the large knurled nut at the bottom end of the cable, where it attaches to the speedo drive. This nut sometimes seizes due salt/muck so you may need a bit of WD40 and a set of grips. You could also try this at the speedo end, but it can be a PITA cos' the screen/headlight & clocks get in the way.

Once you've managed to get one end of the cable undone, give the inner a pull with some pliers. If only a short section comes out it's knackered and will have to be replaced. If the whole inner appears intact, then the fault may be in the speedo drive unit or speedo unit itself.

I think a new cable is about £15

Julie
05-04-2005, 06:45 PM
My speedo decided to stop working on the way home, and I can't get the screw undone. Any ideas anyone, likely cause etc. Could it be that oil from my leaky fork seal has got down the cable? I'm so useless, I can't see any loose bits at either end of the cable :confused:

hi scrumpster

you really havent had much luck in the monster department have you?

How have DK been with you? what are the after sales like?

Julie

Zimbo
05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
I agree with G T, almost certainly the cable failed. They cost very little from a dealer, and are easy to replace.

scrumpster
05-04-2005, 07:26 PM
hi scrumpster

you really havent had much luck in the monster department have you?

How have DK been with you? what are the after sales like?

Julie

DK didn't want to know really, they fobbed me off, said bike had to go back there or local, but local dealers not keen so i'm stuffed!! I'm feeling well pissed off! :(

Albie
05-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Same as GT advice Sharon. But it may be easier to undo the allen bolts that hold housing and raise the unit higher for better access to get grips around nut .make sure you turn it towards the left to undo. :D

Pedro
05-04-2005, 09:39 PM
It's way easier to undo the lower end rather than sodding around and taking the clocks off.

Give me a shout if you're still stuck at the weekend and I'll try drop by and have a lookee see.

Ped

Scotty
05-04-2005, 09:42 PM
i had the drive off the front wheel nacker once for me
only needed the inner plastic bit but had to buy a whole new unit about £20 a new cable is about £10 i think but that was years ago
think i even used one from another make of bike though that one nackered even quicker

what you realy want is fingers of steel for removal, grips n pliers are for wimps ;)

oh yeah and shout at it a bit that always helps

scrumpster
06-04-2005, 07:43 PM
With the help of NB, problem sorted, yes the cable has snapped, so I will pop into town tomorrow and buy me a new one, failing that will order one, and yes I should be able to fit it myself :) Once i'm shown something, I'm ok. Thanks for all your help and no doubt I will be here again when the next thing goes wrong :rolleyes: or is that tempting fate!!!? :confused:

gary tompkins
06-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Glad you sussed it - make sure the inner is well greased before you fit the new cable. All of my new replacements were supplied practically bone dry where lube was concerned :rolleyes:

scrumpster
06-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Will add a tub of grease to the shopping list :) The old one was well greased!!! Cheers mate!

Pedro
06-04-2005, 10:21 PM
It's best to lube the cable well before use - I've used a mixture of oil and grease in the past.

Hang the cable and tape a small "funnel" round the top - make this from a poly bag with the corner cut off. Then pour engine oil in the funnel a little at a time - this will soak into the outer of the cable.

Then I've pulled the inner out and greased well with high melt point grease - I think I used CV joint grease as it's very hard wearing

Ped