PDA

View Full Version : starting the S4

carr01
05-04-2005, 05:45 PM
does anyone know the correct proccedure for starting a 2001 S4?
From cold start i've been advised to leave the fast idle lever alone and to blip the throttle when it fires, then to bring in the fast idle after. Sounds like the kind of advice I was given as a child by my grandad on fly fishing! :)

Shauns4
05-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi, Pull back the fast idle lever and no need to touch the throttle, as soon as it starts drop the idle down to about 1500 rpm and leave it to warm up, some S4's suffer from premature rocker wear and revving the motor when cold will only accelerate this.

This is how I start mine and it usually fires up 1st or 2nd time.

Shaun

PaulS
05-04-2005, 07:05 PM
What Shaun said.

jvp
05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
What Shaun said.
Jay

Scotty
05-04-2005, 08:33 PM
start at the top of a hill get a good run up have the fast idol half way drop it into 2nd dump the clutch thumb the starter and pray you dont get spat off works every time for me on a flat battery

mine wont start ever on full fast idol

Albie
05-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Same as above :D

Scotty
05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
what you realy want is the battery in good condition starting isnt a problem then and as such im sure the short journies dont help that

errm pull the clutch in and have the headlight off to reduce the load on the battery for starting

im semi convinced thers a mythical method to use if it doesnt start first time, like no fast idol twist the throttel full gack let go and it al start no problem , but ive not found it yet :(

carr01
06-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Thanks for advise, will try all of the above except the one involving hills, flat as a pancake this part of Manc! would have to push it a long way first :)

OgriUK
06-04-2005, 08:53 AM
what shaun said also here...though every bike ive had in the last five years stays hooked up to an optimate when its in the garage..would swear they all run better for it too :)

mikerukbiker
10-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Totally agree with OgriUK. Last winter I used a battery charger "recommended for bikes" to keep my battery topped up over a 4 month period, and my S4 stuttered into life on what sounded like the very last gasp of the battery.

After this winter, same battery hooked up to an Optimate, bike fired up after only 4 revs of the engine. May be down to global warming but I'll be using Optmate next winter!

gary tompkins
10-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Optimate does the job for me too. The larger capacity Dukes make the starter motor, ignition system and battery work hard, especially when firing up from cold.

Throw an alarm/immobiliser into the equation, and you can have a knackered battery and be resorting to bump starting in no time. A genuine maintainance free (sealed) battery from Ducati costs a mint, an Optimate (or similar) around 40 notes - I rest my case :D

Shauns4
10-04-2005, 05:03 PM
I keep it coupled to a trickle charger which is on a timer (1hr/day) and I bought a Westco heavy duty dry battery (~£45). The charger was a tenner of ebay, bargain.

Before doing the above if I left it more than 2 weeks then it struggled to start. I think the standard 10 AH battery is only just up the job.

Shaun

Runningman
11-04-2005, 05:05 PM
My 2002 S4 starts every morning, rain, shine, wind snow etc, like this.
Fast idle lever fully open, 1st turn - no, second turn - no. Leave 2 minutes to adjust helmet , gloves, Ipod, and try again...starts first time!

Really cold mornings, or after a weekend layoff, repeat those steps again.
Never fails.

Scotty
11-04-2005, 06:23 PM
hummm mine never starts on full fast idol must be a different chip thing perhaps.
i remember tryeing when i first got bike full fast idol try and start nothing for about 2 mins
then tryed less fast idol and it fired then ,
i didnt see the flame come out the exhaust but us mate did aparently and the security guard came out of his box to see what the bang was :)

claicerrig
11-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Scotty

Mine is exactly the same when it comes to starting no chance on full Choke
About half way is the sweet spot.Though starting has really improved since i cleaned some of the earth contacts around the bike.

Bad earth was responsable for frying 2( :eek: :eek: )side stand switches

It would be interesting to hear if other challange owners have found this problem :confused:

HUNTER
11-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Not even half wayfor fast idle.

The battery can cause some problems if its not great. I had some problems starting, then I recharged the battery = no problems.

Another trick - I used to use was use Super unleaded during winter. Small increase in cost, but it seemed to work without any significant carbon problems in the engine.

Until this winter (no riding due to pushbike vs TNT truck altercation) I had ridden almost every day with no starting problems - apart from the battery.