PDA

View Full Version : More plugs...

Taman
05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Curious how long plugs last for people?

Mine seem to get carbon fouled very quickly (few hundred miles) which seems like a joke. Trying to figure out why I seem to be running rich.

Also, do most people stick with the standard plugs or go a little hotter or cooler? Does iridium help? I'm imagining my plugs will still get fouled unless I find the problem!!

Cheers

Pedro
05-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Most bikes will be running a little rich from the factory as it apparently helps with noise checks.

As for plug life, mine a pretty knackered after about 2000 miles - very sooty so it's easier to change them for new rather than clean em!

Ped

CK & AK
05-04-2005, 04:26 PM
we use NGK Iridium's on all our bikes with no probs.
Not needed to be replaced in 6thou miles yet on this one & previous bike did almost 17,000 on the Iridiums she had.

spacemonkey
05-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Of course, a good dynojet type setup session should cure the fouling problem, and increase rideability and economy. Everyone's a winner. Luvverly, jubberly.

Shauns4
05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
NGK Iridium plugs are worth the extra money, work well in my S4 and should last at least 6000 miles

Shaun

A Yerbury
05-04-2005, 08:59 PM
do what the monkey says, he's a brainy chap. back to the stockings I change them out of habit every 6 months or so? If these iridiums do last longer I may invest in a pair.

bod
05-04-2005, 10:37 PM
A plug is a plug isn't it except for heat range etc...
Use a quality make, and make sure your bike is tuned eg. CO readings are corrrect,a plug would only faill form age or mixture to rich/lean.Short trips could also soot up the plug so why not take that long ride home the combustion processs wil clean the plug up,if the carbs/ignition-valve timing is set up correctly.

Pedro
05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Fair comment Bod but I've had mixed results over the years. I've used both Champion and NGK in assorted bikes and came to the comclusion the Champion ones were sh*te. Actually had one set last under 100 miles before they packed up. No real probs with NGKs

Ped

Taman
06-04-2005, 08:10 AM
ah, maybe short rides are a problem for me. Seem to not get out much and when I do only for 20 miles or so at a time through traffic. Would be nice if it's not a mechanical problem and I just need to ride more.

Just got some Iridium NGK-DPR8EIX-9, so back to the standard heat plugs after trying the cooler ones. Will start taking the long way home and hopefully no more probs!

DesmoDog
06-04-2005, 08:23 AM
I too suffer from the majority of my trips being short (less than 10 miles round trip if communting). YThat explains the fouling. So if the NGK-DPR8EIX-9 are cooler which are hotter? -8? I think I might get a vespa for the trip to work and keep the monnie for play time.

manc skank
06-04-2005, 08:25 AM
a rolling road/dyno is the answer. i tried the DPR7 jobs and that stopped the fouling, but was warned about holing the pistons. went to the cooler and fouled in two days.

went to a rolling road, had the carbs fuelling sorted out and no more problems :D oh, also started getting 160miles per tank as opposed to 110 :p

DesmoDog
06-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Manc, what sort of cost are we looking at for the rolling road set up?

Taman
06-04-2005, 08:38 AM
DesmoDog - As I understand it the DPR8EA-9 are hotter than the DPR9EA-9 (DPR8EIX-9 and DPR9EIX-9 are the iridium versions - all these codes are for NGK plugs).

When I changed exhausts I was advised to go for cooler plugs as this was apparently the thing to do. I had a bit of trouble with fouling so got a power commander and had dynoed. Still have some probs and was told by the guy dynoing my bike (PDQ in Taplow) that my exhaust (road racing one) really wasn't a sports exhaust and didn't improve performance.

So now, I'm going back to the hotter plugs and taking longer trips and hopefully this will sort it!

Didn't think about going to 7s - sounds a bit dangerous!!

Basic question - will a hotter plug burn more petrol and therefore reduce carbon fouling (as this is just unburnt petrol?) but you run the risk of damaging your cylinders?

DesmoDog
06-04-2005, 08:56 AM
From Mancs comments about holed pistons i think the answer to that is a resounding, and bloody expensive, yes.