PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Wheels - M900

Matt Black
05-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Has anyone replaced the stock wheels for something more exotic. Natty Boys' Marchesini wheel has set me off.

Do 999 wheels fit or are they too wide for the hubs/swingarm?

Pedro
05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
I think most wheels will fit but some may need a little work - the differences in spindle size springs to mind so bearings may need to be changed.

Ped

Zimbo
05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Your main problem will be that all the watercooled sports bikes (748/9, 916, 996, 998, 999) use a single sided swinging arm, so the rear wheel design is totally different. Your best bet is the marchisinis fiited to the SS series perhaps? Or buy a set of carbon / magnesium wheels, expect to pay £1500+ for them though. Someone also makes a wire spoke wheel for the monster too, if that's any help?

DesmoDom
05-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Zimbo, the 749/999 have a normal swinging arm, its only the 748-998 have the single swinger. :D :D :D

Baz

Plum
05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
I think its Road Race Italia that make the spoke'd rims

JMo
05-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Just for info: Brett at Protwins was telling me they still have some black 5 spoke Marchesini wheels in for the earlier Monsters (ie. pre 1998) at a 'good price'...

xxx

www.protwins.co.uk

Byron Kauffman
05-04-2005, 04:37 PM
My m900 with wires. It was a lot of work to fit them. Axle size, wheel spacing, brake carrier offset and even speedo drive must all be considered.
You can use a pair of Moto Guzzi 40 spoke disc brake front hubs with special bearing carriers to fit Ducati. Vee Two in Australia makes a set as well as several places in the UK. There are a few wire wheel sets available "ready made" but there still are size questions mentioned above because Monster specs changed over the years. Expect to make custom parts even if the ad says "Bolt On".
I even had to machine the brake caliper offset and mill a bit off the back for spoke clearance. I had to machine the front bearing carriers for new size bearings and offset and make new speedo drive so it all fit right. I have put several thousand miles on it now with no problems.
At the NEC motorcycle show 2 years ago there were plenty of specialty wheel makers. Wires seem popular again because of Super Motard.
For me the work was worth it.

Chris
05-04-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a set of 20 spoke PVM forged wheels fitted. They fitted pretty much straight on, and look great.

ps. I have a set of standard wheels for sale (could be polished up :D )

JMo
05-04-2005, 06:42 PM
I have a set of standard wheels for sale (could be polished up :D )

Hee hee - that's what I did - and they bolt straight (back) on...

xxx

Richard_S
05-04-2005, 06:50 PM
she looks like new Jen. You are a model pupil and a pure example to us all.

even with my neurotic 5 times a day mega valet addiction im still starting to show manly signs of usage. Still as my father always used to say safeguarding your future starts with general beast related outage and kitten purs. I didn’t have the heart to slip one in about the unfortunate styling of his little Hillman Minx. Leopard interior and all (and no tina was not involved!)

A Yerbury
05-04-2005, 08:18 PM
the three spokes although heavier than marchesini and all that lark look a lot nicer...and non of that "IMO" crap either it is a fact. I have seen some glow in the dark caps on ebay? these are quite exotic...failing the above have a peek in the back of mcn for more wheel suppliers than you wheely need.

Chris
05-04-2005, 10:11 PM
I still like my 20 spokes :D
Look great (IMO), lighter, and individual

Pedro
05-04-2005, 10:36 PM
I still like my 20 spokes :D
Look great (IMO), lighter, and individual

Very nice Chris.

What pipes you got there? Are the SS / 888 pipes rather than Monny pipes? They seem to sit higher and also look blinking good!

Ped

A Yerbury
05-04-2005, 11:02 PM
yes, yes, my ex had some on a zephyr, I had some on my cg125 and raleigh shopper, as nice as they are I vowed never to clean the things ever again (girly hands)
Alex.

Chris
06-04-2005, 08:28 AM
What pipes you got there? Are the SS / 888 pipes rather than Monny pipes? They seem to sit higher and also look blinking good!

Ped

The full system is made by F1 Exhausts and is I think for a monster of SS, but like you say, it is very like the SS high level pipes. I personally like the cans lower down, but high enough to keep them off the tarmac. The only problem with them is, no pilions.

MON1000s
02-05-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a set of 20 spoke PVM forged wheels fitted. They fitted pretty much straight on, and look great.

ps. I have a set of standard wheels for sale (could be polished up :D )

Chris,
Do you still have the wheels, if so what colour and price etc
Graham /MON1000s