PDA

View Full Version : fitting new cans

Blue Beastie
02-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Just took delivery of some very nice looking DP cans for my 96 M600 :) . Going to fit them soon but thought I would check here to see if there was anything I need to be careful about.

The hanger assembly looks fine but where the cans join the rest of the system, is that just a slip it in and leave it situation? There doesn't appear to be any sort of clamp or jubilee clip etc. Does it need a bit of paste?

I did a search for similar questions but couldn't find owt. Also wondered if any engine mods are needed given that it's a relatively old machine.

Cheers.

Pedro
02-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Cans will just slip on - I haven't used paste to seal the joint between the headers and the cans and have no probs.

Ped

Blue Beastie
02-04-2005, 09:02 AM
cheers mate :)

A Yerbury
02-04-2005, 09:11 AM
you should have two jubilee type clips. they are'nt jubilees but similar, most bike shops have them.

Blue Beastie
03-04-2005, 07:18 AM
There are no clips on at the moment. :confused: Do you think should the cans have come with some?

A Yerbury
03-04-2005, 09:38 AM
the can slides into the collar then a clip/sleeve tightens over the point where they meet. So yes as I have said already you should really have some, available from all good bookshops etc.

gary tompkins
03-04-2005, 10:29 AM
As Ped said, no clamps needed at the exhaust header to pipe joint - it just slips in. However depending on design/type you may need a clamp on the joint between the end can itself & the link pipe.

If this joint is welded on the DP cans no problem, but if its a plug in fit you will need a jubilee style clamp, and one should be supplied with the new cans.

crust
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Ducati dont use Jubilee clips to join the cans to the pipe, its a push fit.

I've got Remus cans on mine (Remus make the DP cans) and they're a push fit.

They use a double collar system, a smaller one inside the outer one.

Have a look at the exhaust end of the can, if its a collar with no slots in it, then you dont need a clip.

If there's slots in the collar, then you need a clip.

:) Crust

stuartg
03-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree. I also have DP Remus cans and they just push fit into the intermediate pipes and are tensioned with springs to keep them snug. The intermediate pipes are clamped into the main front pipes though.

Nonnie
03-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Having ripped off the standards and fitted something more interesting, why are they wonky? Even the dealer looked at them and said sometimes it happens. The standards were wonky too. Hmmm.

stuartg
03-04-2005, 01:01 PM
In what way wonky !!!!!!!!!

A Yerbury
03-04-2005, 01:08 PM
putting the spanner in the pigeons my remus had clamps and the double pipe on the header, yes they will just slip in and be secure but to give a really tight connection you can use some clips, cheap and easy.

Blue Beastie
03-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I'll go with the logic that if there are no slots on the pipe then you need no clips. Clips wouldn't tighten the fit unless there were slots so I'll just try without. Nae springs provided either so it's basically exactly the same fit as the stock ones. Cheers for all the info.

Pedro
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Having ripped off the standards and fitted something more interesting, why are they wonky? Even the dealer looked at them and said sometimes it happens. The standards were wonky too. Hmmm.

Are they uneven when looking from the back of the bike? If so, it's because the header pipes aren't even. Mine are the same but there appears to be sod all you can do about it short of bending the headers slightly. I guess some are made more accurately than others....

Ped

Nonnie
03-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Are they uneven when looking from the back of the bike? If so, it's because the header pipes aren't even. Mine are the same but there appears to be sod all you can do about it short of bending the headers slightly. I guess some are made more accurately than others....

Ped
Thanks Pedro, my left hand one is about 2 inches higher than the right hand one. All adds to the charm of Juan.

Pedro
03-04-2005, 10:06 PM
I've got Remus cans on mine (Remus make the DP cans) and they're a push fit.

Blimey, have you worn another set of stock cans out again?

:D

gary tompkins
04-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Pedro,

???????????????????? :lol:

Pedro
05-04-2005, 06:23 AM
GT

I posted that when the forum threw a wobbly the other night!! Now edited just for you!

Ped

gary tompkins
05-04-2005, 12:35 PM
GT

I posted that when the forum threw a wobbly the other night!! Now edited just for you!

Ped

Ahh.. shucks - cheers matey, wondered if you had been at the Evostik and Special brew again TBH :lol:

So it threw a wobbly eh? Guess I didn't bother with the forum that night and missed all the fun :confused:

Pedro
05-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Ahh.. shucks - cheers matey, wondered if you had been at the Evostik and Special brew again TBH :lol:

So it threw a wobbly eh? Guess I didn't bother with the forum that night and missed all the fun :confused:

Yeah, Sami was tinkering and it censored all the "c"s and "u"s!!!

BTW, gone off evostick, gives me a terrible headache so back on the meths!

crust
05-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Blimey, have you worn another set of stock cans out again?

:D

Pretty much, they're well chamfered.

Had a mucho fun day at Donnington last summer :D

They've been pensioned off for MOT use only :)