PDA

View Full Version : wireless internet part deux

dean
01-04-2005, 01:13 PM
i recently posted a thread and am still needing advice, here goes....

I currently have aol broadband silver and a netgear wireless router with usb ariel thingy at the computer. I seem to have successefully installed the wireless bit on the computer and the icon says connection strength is good to the router.

However i dont seem to have internet connection at my netgear router, the problem is AOL package i have is only Chav (silver) so they wont offer tech support on netgear products, just their own.

How do i set up the netgear router so the internet lights up?

Thanks for any advice.

Rogerg
01-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Have you done any configuration on the router at all yet?

you configure these routers using a web broswer.

the default ip address is: http://192.168.0.1

and default username is: admin and password: password

you'll then be taken straight into the setup wizard, all you should need to do is run the wizard and put in your AOL username & password.

NB you'll also want to secure the wireless network. by default its open. - the Manual will give you tips on how to do this.

dean
01-04-2005, 01:37 PM
but does the webbrowser need to be dialled on to the internet?, the problem i have is i have no internet light on my netgear modem. also what browswer do use?, is it the aol one?

Thanks roger!

p.s i have tried to configure it but failed miserably.

CraigMac
01-04-2005, 01:39 PM
I think that the problem lies with your hardware...
You seem to have been supplied with French stuff that is not compatible with UK interlinkweb stuff....
Grey imports are a big problem, dont try doing it on the cheap. Buy the proper British gear.
If im wrong on this then maybe you need advice from someone who wears glasses, as I have said before, they are quite clever.
Regards.

Bob Dixon
01-04-2005, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=dean]i recently posted a thread and am still needing advice, here goes....

I currently have aol broadband silver and a netgear wireless router with usb ariel thingy at the computer. I seem to have successefully installed the wireless bit on the computer and the icon says connection strength is good to the router.

However i dont seem to have internet connection at my netgear router, the problem is AOL package i have is only Chav (silver) so they wont offer tech support on netgear products, just their own.

How do i set up the netgear router so the internet lights up?

Christ Dean,
How many times do I have to explain this to you? here we go [again]
Make sure your Kneebone router is connected to your Legbone interface, your Thighbone dual splitter must then be connected to your Backbone modem. Then connect your Neckbone scart to your low resHeadbone and Robert's your mother's brother. How hard can it be?

Rogerg
01-04-2005, 01:45 PM
but does the webbrowser need to be dialled on to the internet?, the problem i have is i have no internet light on my netgear modem. also what browswer do use?, is it the aol one?

Thanks roger!

p.s i have tried to configure it but failed miserably.

No you don't need an active internet connection, as your only trying to talk to the router - your wireless connection must be active though.

I'd use Internet Explorer - if your on Windoze, or Safari if your on Mac

CraigMac
01-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Well done Roger you pipped me to the post on your prompt reply....
Dean,
Do all those things that Roger said.
Ignore Bob's advice, He's a left wing anarchist and just wants to bring chaos to you connections..
Regards

dean
01-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Sorry fellas for not taking your advice, it's just the last time i listened to you i woke up with satsuma in my mouth and an asda bag over my head.

Not you rog, you're not like all the others.

dean
01-04-2005, 02:13 PM
it's who you can ask. that's the great thing about this site, it's like the freemasons. I tried to get in to the masons but was refused on the grounds that by blockwork wasn't up to sctratch. I tried to get in as a freemasons mate in a two and one gang but apparetly they stopped doing that.

Are any of the UKMOC members also members of associations like the masons, rotary club etc i wonder?

I, naturally am a paid up member of the tafia.

CraigMac
01-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Dean,
Are you on the level, I just want you to Square that one off, Lets shake on it!!
Are you a Square dealer?
Regards

Bob Dixon
01-04-2005, 02:32 PM
as your only trying to talk to the router

Talk to the router Dean, 'coz the hand ain't listening

dean
01-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Dean,
Are you on the level, I just want you to Square that one off, Lets shake on it!!
Are you a Square dealer?
Regards

No, i have never knowingly bought,sold, or traded in any other way any ,squares.

I wouldnt even know what the current market value for one was.

In fact, i dont know what a square is.