PDA

View Full Version : new and enquiring..

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 08:03 PM
hello blokes. :)
and laydeez :)
bet youve heard this soooo many times before but... ;)
recently bought a lovely low mileage s4 off a mate...bog standard except fpr a power commander an some dyno time(mate owns bsd tuning in peterborough)
my first ever ducati after years of different bikes since passing me test in'77..it shares a garage with an tuned 179.2 bhp zx12r, a minging old zzr11, and a old but fast/wunnerful zxr400h2.

id only had the bike a coupla months and i love it to bits..and so inevitabl;y starting thinking about flogging one/two of the others to trade in the duke and get a new/newish s4r..
but as lovely as i think they are, there just too much dosh..and i do really like me s4..and s4's seem to be worth bugger all secondhand ;) ..so am thinking high level termi/sils, airbox mods, possibly ohlins rear shock, front fork revalve and s4r yoke/risers/bars.
looked into a "full monty", but too rich for me :(

your thoughts please.. ;)

Scotty
31-03-2005, 09:03 PM
what was the question ?

scrumpster
31-03-2005, 09:21 PM
what was the question ?

I think he's asking us, should he part with a little dosh rather than a lotta dosh??? :D

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 09:40 PM
:D
Exactamundo... :)

in reality, i cannot afford a s4r.
and even if i had the dosh to trade up, id struggle to give it over for a bike not a million m iles away from the one ive got(unless your all gonna tell me it is far better than the s4 ;) )
as good as the s4 is, id like it to go and handle a bit better, it doesnt feel quite."there".
i know a lotta people here done a lotta mods, was just wondering which way you would go given the benefit of having seen/experienced 'em.
also realise you probably been awked this many times before, sorry blokes.. :rolleyes:

Nonnie
31-03-2005, 09:46 PM
:D
sorry blokes.. :rolleyes:
Scrumpster is a girlie! :burnout:

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 09:55 PM
marvellous..only my fourth post an ive put me foot in me mouth.. :o :o

Nonnie
31-03-2005, 09:59 PM
its ok there's a lot of it about, welcome!

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 10:13 PM
thanks mate :)
joined 200mph.org three years ago when i had a busa.
tried loads of things but couldnt get the elusive 200mph ticket (dont believe the mags..the best i ever got out of a busa was indicated 220 at elvington..true speed through the timing lights was 180.7... :( )
bought another busa to try again, but killed it on a roundabout :( :(
so watched and learnt, bought a 01 zx12r, did a coupla things and last year got a 195.88 at woodbridge airfield at one of our bi yearly meets.
all these bike forums are bloody excellent, and been watching this one for a while afore i registered, lotta good stuff an people.. ;)

Paranoid Dave
31-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I find that people can never tell you what to do, secretly it's always waiting for someone to say what I'm waiting for to justify my spending spree.

So why don't you book yourself a test ride on a new S4r, see the difference and find out why, you might prefer it or there may be a few things about the S4 you prefer (yeh right) but if you're wondering about trading in then best you know what for first.

With any mod think what benefit you'll get from it. The S4 is a great bike, handling is good, braking is good, engine is good. lets face it the S4 was the best until the S4r came about, so just because there is a newer 'better' one out there doesn't mean there's anything wrong with what you have.
So are you interested in improving the shock cos you're unhappy with the one you have or cos it hasn't got OHLINS written on it.

If you want to change a part, you'll probably do it anyway, and if you want to change the bike you'll probably do that instead, just don't make the mistake of spending loads on the S4 when you really wanted the S4r, then upgrade in 6 months and end up spending twice.

I'm not trying to take the **** or put you off, but it does sound to me as if you're really not sure what you want to do, and more worryingly don't know why you want to improve it? I may be wrong of course.

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 10:21 PM
:)
interested in improving the shock because in the past when ive done it it makes more of a difference to performance than power (i live in the fens, it very, very bumpy)
and i know exactly what i want from every bike i own.
appreciate the comments and aint taking the arse ;) :)

Northman1
31-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Tell you what, my S4 is pretty standard, open airbox lid, hi-flow filter, DP CPU, lo-level Termis, suspension is still as Ducati intended .... seems to work ok.

You are welcome to have a look/compare with yours as you are pretty close to where I live, (20 mins from Peterboro'), if you want to see the difference Termis make with your Power Commander, I am happy to meet you at BSD and you can try my Termis on your bike. Might cost you a dyno run since your mate owns BSD!!!! :-)

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 10:23 PM
i'll take you up on that bugger! :) :)
an deffo sort out a dyno run with brew for ya :)

A Yerbury
31-03-2005, 10:28 PM
" high level termi/sils, airbox mods, possibly ohlins rear shock" whilst not full onty (wtf is a full monty?) these items are not cheap, new you won't get much change from a big one. If you sold the s4 private and put a some of that money towards something then who knows, have you ridden a 916? there is always bigger better faster no matter what you do.
AY.
ps apologies for going a bit jedi at the end there.

Northman1
31-03-2005, 10:31 PM
No worries. :-)

Let me know when. If you fancy a run out let me know too, not many S4's in this area.

I am in the sticks near Huntingdon. Was toying with the idea of going down to On Yer Ducati on Saturday.

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 10:39 PM
in the sticks near huntingdon?
im from ramsey... ;)

a full monty mate is apparently a sorta semi blueprint that some clever ducati bloke dahn sarf does..costs a grand + :eek:

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 10:40 PM
an this week i am mostly plastering an extension out in warboys.. ;)

Northman1
31-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Ramsey !! I am in Upwood !!!

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 10:54 PM
:D :D
its a small world, but i wouldnt wanna paint it.. :D

cool dude, we will deffo havta meet up... if you fancy a sat at brews place to get your bike dynoed i'll come over there and we can take it from there..he shuts at twelve though an i'll havta give him sum notice coz loads of geezers turn up for dyno runs on a sat morning.

err..your not one of the legendary "day" brothers are ya..though they always rode big kwacks back in the late seventies.. :D

Northman1
31-03-2005, 10:58 PM
This Saturday would probably be too short notice for the Dyno run. Quite happy to meet for a run though.

Legendary? quite possibly, at least in my own lunchtime! ;-) but not a "Day" brother.

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 11:05 PM
:D :D
remember their names now, paul and kevin, right nutters.

id have been up for sat though i promised the missus a rideout this weekend on the duke, and i dont think she will wanna go that far(last weekend we did 600 miles on the kwack with some mates right down to bloody dorset and all around that area..still shattered now :D )

marchesini
31-03-2005, 11:07 PM
a full monty mate is apparently a sorta semi blueprint that some clever ducati bloke dahn sarf does..costs a grand + :eek:

sigma performance if I'm not mistaken, they put in my slipper clutch - nice fellas but pricey though.

With regards to the original S4 / S4R conundrum - I reckon you'd be better off trading up now if you are intending on spending ohlins / termis money on the S4. As Alex as said, the bolt ons are not cheap and the S4 is the runt of the Monster litter - very few of the parts can be moved onto other Monsters - been there, done that (ad lib until fade). The clip-ons, top mounted steering dampers, ohlins rear shock are all parts that are non-transferable.

I traded my totally standard 3.5 year old model for £4000 against a pre-reg S4R for £6950. So the difference was just under 3K - throw in the money I got from my ohlins, clip-ons, sils hi levels, steering damper etc, I think the cost to change was about £2000. OK, not exactly small change but if you are thinking of sinking money into a discontinued (I think) model, then it may be a false economy in the long run.

If you are not fussed by the cosmetic differences between the two bikes and think you will not be wanting an S4R in the future, then ignore all of the above. The increase in cubes was not enough for me to upgrade as the S4 has plenty of poke, it was the single sider along with a newer bike that appealed to me. As it is, I think I will be keeping this one for a few years yet (on my fourth monster), I have thrown the national debt of a small third world country at it since I bought it but that is a tale for less perilous times.

Whatever you choose, have fun

best regards

simon

OgriUK
31-03-2005, 11:14 PM
cheers simon interesting reading, an i know where your coming from.

Boon
01-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Just trade it all in for a S4R thay are the best But I must say all the monsters are sound to ride :burnout:

OgriUK
03-04-2005, 03:34 PM
got a price to trade in me s4 for a s4r..£3700..for a bike thats never seen rain, done 2300 miles and is in beautiful standard condition with a power commander fitted.

let me think about that a minute... :D :D ..yeah right..

so...... one of you "good ol boys" has come up with some low level termis(thanks again mate) will get them on and the pc set up, i'll bite the bullet and buy a new top yoke, have already got some risers and renthal "fatbars", will keep the sachs rear shock and have me suspension re valved an set up by the blurk that did me twelve, and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt that will do nicely

Richard_S
03-04-2005, 04:32 PM
exactly. say bugger to the blighters. I had a similar dream fairly recently but rapidly discovered that I was just taking the proverbial. You need to draw that line somewhere and besides which we need aspirations to continue.

a young bearded man without a garage in a group 5 x