PDA

View Full Version : Done (first ride out)

tony_unn
31-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Got home to find an envelope on the mat, I was caught doing 80 on a dual carrigway near where I live.

If you remember the 20th of March it was a Sunday, actually it was the first Sunday that you could get your bike out and not worry about rain, salt, frostbite and all the other winter crap.

So I went to the garage to put fresh petrol in and get the bike up to temp for the first time in months.

If they do me then so be it but I have always had respect for the police but this wil test my paitence, how many of us have nearley been wiped out by baseball wearing morons in uninsured Fiestas and Saxo's.

Licence has been clean for 5 years it is a shame to spoil it just before the summer.

NattyBoy
31-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Bad luck Tony...and I Echo your sentiments entirely mate. I got done for 74MPH..yes 74..on a dual carriageway last year.

Im sick of it. My car accumlated 9 points last year (but obviously my mum was driving the car on one occasion and the wife the other..so only have 3 points :rolleyes:) allthrough ridiculous sppeds (34 in a 30 etc).

My dad also saw a copper hiding behind a wall in the village high street walking home from the pub the other night. It was 11.20, p****g down with rain, no cars about and my dad lives in a really quiet little village where there have never been ANY accidents.

Anyway...after 4 pints of the local brew...he started yelling abuse across the road at this copper (fair play to the old boy..ha ha !!) saying he should be out catching criminals and asking him how the police expect the public to respect them anymore...sad thing is the rozzer just shrugged his shoulders as I guess he agreed.

An they try and insult our intelligence saying that its not about revenue generation.. :mad: :mad: tossers.

All the best..

Nat

Chappers
31-03-2005, 09:16 AM
To delay the process I requested photographic evidence and asked for a copy of the calibration certificate for the camera that caught me, I then filled in the form but didn't sign it :p

They then sent me another 2 letters one of which had the photographic evidence but no calibration certificate, pointing out to me that I haven't signed it, therefore please do so - I never sent it back and this was near on 6 months ago now and I've not heard anything since ;)

I got caught doing 81 on a dual carriageway (A507) and I had the letter telling me I had to go to court because I was 1mph over the standard fixed penalty points and fine system. I then crapped my pants thinking I could quite possibly get a small ban and fine or a mega hefty fine :eek:

I completed all the forms and prepared to face the courtroom, I then out of the blue received a fixed penalty of £60 and 3 points with the code SP30 which usually stands for speeding in a 30 limit - so I took it and was thankful I got away with that one :D

Good luck!

SAMMYE
31-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Its all very frustrating!

If they need more money they should fine serious offenders more rather than fining people who speed which is not Dangerous (in itself)

stef
31-03-2005, 12:33 PM
on the other hand (being the devil's advocate here..), speed camera's are not that complicated. you see one you slow down !
they are stupid in a sence, as they will force your eyes to check the speedo, rather than the road, but then, it's not complete robbery either.
in theory, we should all slow down when we see a school sign (i probably dont, because i am not perfect), so if we can do that, i dont see what is different with speed cameras.

that's my bit.. still trying to work out why i hate them.. they are only stupid machines.
I knew this guy who kept being done in his porshe..apparently, he couldnt see them, didnt' pay attention etc.. worrying thing. The speed camera proves he has a deficiency somewhere, but unfortunately does nothing to help him. Even if he learned to spot them !

SAMMYE
31-03-2005, 12:40 PM
on the other hand (being the devil's advocate here..), speed camera's are not that complicated. you see one you slow down !
they are stupid in a sence, as they will force your eyes to check the speedo, rather than the road, but then, it's not complete robbery either.
in theory, we should all slow down when we see a school sign (i probably dont, because i am not perfect), so if we can do that, i dont see what is different with speed cameras.

that's my bit.. still trying to work out why i hate them.. they are only stupid machines.
I knew this guy who kept being done in his porshe..apparently, he couldnt see them, didnt' pay attention etc.. worrying thing. The speed camera proves he has a deficiency somewhere, but unfortunately does nothing to help him. Even if he learned to spot them !

I agree with you stef when they are near schools or dangerous bends or even where they have signs but not where there is no notice of them / police speed guns

if it were such a bad offence then they would make it criminal but its not!

Keep them in residential areas by all means but not on Motorways.

We have had the 70mph speed limit since motorcars existed, its time to increase the limit to cope with increased car saftey, brakes etc etc -just my humble (probably wrong) opinion

stef
31-03-2005, 01:10 PM
i may be wrong, but i think speed limits have evolved during the years.
And the morons behind the wheels havent evolved that fast.

SAMMYE
31-03-2005, 01:16 PM
i may be wrong, but i think speed limits have evolved during the years.

I think you are!? I believe 70mph has been in force since 1930's

please correct me if Im wrong

stef
31-03-2005, 01:24 PM
that was only the 30mph in builtup areas. cant see why we would want to raise this, even with improved brakes on modern cars.

Mark Walker
31-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I got done just last week pulling out of the feckin road I live in! Was a busy road and took advantage of the traffic lights changing further up the road to give me a break in the traffic.....pulled out a bit sharpish and got caught by a mobile camera that has never been see on that stretch of road before or since.......I was only speeding for about 5 seconds.......the words income generation went through my mind.....getting caught a week before the end of the tax year and in an area that hasn't had any cameras on it for as long as I remember......then again it might just have been sour grapes.....I found out the day after I had paid out £400 to replace a head gasket and associated sundries!

Chappers
31-03-2005, 02:03 PM
I got done just last week pulling out of the feckin road I live in! Was a busy road and took advantage of the traffic lights changing further up the road to give me a break in the traffic.....pulled out a bit sharpish and got caught by a mobile camera that has never been see on that stretch of road before or since.......I was only speeding for about 5 seconds.......the words income generation went through my mind.....getting caught a week before the end of the tax year and in an area that hasn't had any cameras on it for as long as I remember......then again it might just have been sour grapes.....I found out the day after I had paid out £400 to replace a head gasket and associated sundries!

£400!!! :eek:

Mark Walker
31-03-2005, 02:20 PM
and it blew on Good Friday.....150 miles from home........double :eek:

nik_the_brief
31-03-2005, 02:25 PM
I think you are!? I believe 70mph has been in force since 1930's

please correct me if Im wrong

Robbed from another site -

The 70 mph National Speed Limit was introduced as a temporary measure in December 1965. It is often blamed on Barbara Castle, but at the time the Minister of Transport was Tom Fraser.

The reason given was a spate of serious accidents in foggy conditions, but it is often claimed that the MoT had been alarmed by AC Cars testing their latest Cobra on the M1 at speeds up to 180 mph.

It was confirmed as a permanent limit in 1967, by which time Barbara Castle (a non-driver) had become Minister of Transport.There was surprisingly little debate at the time: the fact that the average family car of the time could only just exceed 70 mph perhaps had something to do with this.

It should be noted that this limit applied to all previously "derestricted" roads, not only motorways.

HTH

SteveSki
31-03-2005, 02:30 PM
:D that was only the 30mph in builtup areas. cant see why we would want to raise this, even with improved brakes on modern cars.

Sorry Stef but I don't agree in the slightest.........

When the original speed limits were in place people were driving around in tanks with drum brakes.......There was a major enquiry done not so long ago to increase the speed limits and I think one major reason they didn't would be having to change all the signs.......

We are now talking about much better breaking, safer braking, better tyres etc (however why they do pass most of the drivers/riders out there I can't see how) and driving too slowy/defensively can sometimes be too dangerous....

40mph and common sense (which is seriously lacked again so maybe a poor example) in built up areas...........and try not to kill yourself on the long strips of tarmac.....

nik_the_brief
31-03-2005, 02:42 PM
:D

When the original speed limits were in place people were driving around in tanks with drum brakes.......There was a major enquiry done not so long ago to increase the speed limits and I think one major reason they didn't would be having to change all the signs.......

We are now talking about much better breaking, safer braking, better tyres etc (however why they do pass most of the drivers/riders out there I can't see how) and driving too slowy/defensively can sometimes be too dangerous....

40mph and common sense (which is seriously lacked again so maybe a poor example) in built up areas...........and try not to kill yourself on the long strips of tarmac.....

Nah, I don't agree with this either. The bottom line is that there is also far more traffic on the road than there was when these limits were first introduced, around town 30 is, in my opinion, about right as a maximum. Good independant evidence shows that pedestrians struck by vehicles travelling at 30mph or less have a far greater chance of surviving than those travelling even a few miles an hour faster. Anywhere around town 30mph is acceptable and reasonable.

I do believe however that the NSL is too low on faster A roads and motorways and could easily be increased for the reasons you have given about the huge forward leaps in technology now fitted as standard to most vehicles - ABS, EBC, disc brakes, servo assisted brakes etc.

What really gets on my t_its though is the old beggars (and they all appear to be over 60) who drive EVERYWHERE at 40mph... motorways, A roads, heavily pedestrianised areas and outside schools - no apparent difference to them in terms of risk. I get even more annoyed when they shake their fists in rage when I overtake them on faster roads as if it's me that's the danger not their bloody geriatric approach to driving !

Mark Walker
31-03-2005, 03:00 PM
IN an ideal world it would be nice to think you could rely on all drivers to drive within the boundaries of common sense. If I am driving in the early hours of the morning, the roads are clear and the conditions favourable, I know I am capable of driving (not riding, due to my propensity for falling off) over the speed limit without being a danger.....and I don't mean shooting up the M1 at 180mph.....but 85 is a comfortable cruising speed on the motorway.

Unfortunately you can't rely on that common sense.....and when it is dark and peeing down with rain, you will still get the !*!*!*!*heads that shoot up behind you flashing their lights and pass you at 90.....if only everyone had common sense, it would be so much easier....but until we can breed the idiot mentality out of the human race I think we are going to be stuck with irrational (to many) speed limits in an attempt to counteract the idiots......in my opinion that is......

And what makes me more annoyed is the fact that after being down for a momentary act of frustration, I see ***** going the other way with their mobile phones pressed to their eyes....ooohhhh it makes me mad

SteveSki
31-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Too true.......and the other annoying one is the poeple adminant at driving at 70 in the overtaking lane......it's an overtaking lane, it's whats it's there for!!
if you want to poodle then get back over!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mark Walker
31-03-2005, 03:05 PM
MInd you I must admit to deliberately 'dawdling' if I am doing 80 and a BMW shoots up behing me flashing their lights.....if I see someone coming faster than me without flashing or gesticulating I am more than happy to get out of the way as soon as possible.....

nik_the_brief
31-03-2005, 03:21 PM
MInd you I must admit to deliberately 'dawdling' if I am doing 80 and a BMW shoots up behing me flashing their lights.....if I see someone coming faster than me without flashing or gesticulating I am more than happy to get out of the way as soon as possible.....

Yep, especially bloody BMW drivers!!

SteveSki
31-03-2005, 03:26 PM
ahem ahem.......I do own a BMW.........maybe thats my problem? :D

stef
31-03-2005, 04:17 PM
:D

i take the point, but reaction time in humans hasnt changed.
at 30mph, you already have travelled a fair distance before you even start to consider that maybe you should possibly engage the ceramic coated, abs sensored assisted braking system. I am happy at 30 !

SAMMYE
31-03-2005, 04:20 PM
I for one wasnt talking about the 30mph limit per se! I agree with that, but other limits (non residential) are out dated by 40 years

scrumpster
31-03-2005, 04:42 PM
To delay the process I requested photographic evidence and asked for a copy of the calibration certificate for the camera that caught me, I then filled in the form but didn't sign it :p

They then sent me another 2 letters one of which had the photographic evidence but no calibration certificate, pointing out to me that I haven't signed it, therefore please do so - I never sent it back and this was near on 6 months ago now and I've not heard anything since ;)

I got caught doing 81 on a dual carriageway (A507) and I had the letter telling me I had to go to court because I was 1mph over the standard fixed penalty points and fine system. I then crapped my pants thinking I could quite possibly get a small ban and fine or a mega hefty fine :eek:

I completed all the forms and prepared to face the courtroom, I then out of the blue received a fixed penalty of £60 and 3 points with the code SP30 which usually stands for speeding in a 30 limit - so I took it and was thankful I got away with that one :D

Good luck!

The ticket has to reach you in 14 days for it to be valid, and the question of having to attend court, depending on your speed varies considerably from force to force. Always request photographic evidence, was the picture taken from the front? Who was driving the car that day? Can the driver be seen clearly - Nattyboy is obviously an expert in this area :) There is a six month time limit from the date of the offence, delaying tactics can work, but this is not always the case. Apart from those words I stay pretty much impartial ;)

nik_the_brief
31-03-2005, 08:01 PM
ahem ahem.......I do own a BMW.........maybe thats my problem? :D

I'd read that in another recent thread hence my reply! :D

Richard_S
31-03-2005, 08:08 PM
don't even get me half !*!*!*!*ed. thats it.