PDA

View Full Version : Luggage options for S2R?

ceri
30-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi All,

I had search through the forum but couldn't see this question asked before, so apologies if this is a duplicate and feel free to slap my wrist and point me in the right direction if it is!

I'm just taking delivery of my new S2R (on Saturday so very excited) and would appreciate some advice on luggage please.

Can anyone recommend seat packs and panniers that might do the job? I'm thinking the high exhausts may be an issue for panniers, but I'm pretty short (5'3"), so the stretch to the bars over a tank bag may be too much for me and I'd prefer to go with panniers and seat packs.

Also I'm not technical, so moving indicators, fixing brackets etc. is almost certainly beyond my meagre capabilities!

Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks!

NattyBoy
30-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Cant recommend any panniers (I have the ducati tankbag setup id recommebd but thats not what your looking for by the sounds of it!) but just wanted to say hello as your only down the road..you coming to the monster weekender wc 30/4 ??

I do also have a low level magnetic tank bag in red (as new) that I dont need now if got the larger tankbag..let me know if its of interest..

Fine choice of bike by the way !!

Cheers
Nat

JMo
30-03-2005, 09:07 PM
S2R's have plastic tanks Nat...

Personally a toothbrush, a spare pair of knic's, and a creditcard is really all you need to take with you... should fit in your jacket inside pocket x

xxx

A Yerbury
30-03-2005, 09:10 PM
....................and a cuddly toy.

JMo
30-03-2005, 09:31 PM
....................and a cuddly toy.

Tis true...

xxx

A Yerbury
30-03-2005, 10:02 PM
lucky fella shorley?
AY.X

ceri
31-03-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info Chaps - I'm pretty sure I can't manage anything but the teeniest tank bag - but yesterday while surfing around I saw some panniers with 'heat protection' (looks like a sort of aluminium insulation thingy - technical term that) I'm a bit sceptical, but might do some investiagtion there and will let you know how I get on.

Hi Nat - I Won't be at the weekender I'm afraid, but do have fun on my behalf. Would be cool to meet up when I'm used to the new bike for a run and a cup of splosh somewhere though. As long as you don't mind associating with a new Speed Triple - my other half's new toy.

I am going to the BMF memba rally in May though, so if anyone else is going would be nice to meet up and say hello :) Also interested in any shows / weekend's others are going to this summer (if the rain ever stops...)

Cheers for now,
Ceri

Zimbo
31-03-2005, 08:21 PM
You could always fit a small topbox and rack? I'd say that would be the most secure and easiest way of carrying moderate amounts of luggage, something of around 30 litres capacity perhaps?

walkingpictures
31-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi mate,try this link http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/index.htm ...I have used Ventura on a few bikes and although it is expensive it is real good stuff.Not sure if they do a kit for your bike yet but won't do any harm to give them a call.

Hope that helps

Kimbo :)

MilesB
04-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info Chaps - I'm pretty sure I can't manage anything but the teeniest tank bag - but yesterday while surfing around I saw some panniers with 'heat protection' (looks like a sort of aluminium insulation thingy - technical term that) I'm a bit sceptical, but might do some investiagtion there and will let you know how I get on.

As long as you don't mind associating with a new Speed Triple - my other half's new toy.

Ceri

Hi Ceri

Ventura rack is the best option - I think they do one that will fit, but as Kim say's they are pricey.

If you are not carrying too much, and can find some bungy fixing points above the exhausts, then I'd recomment a tail pack - sits on the pillion perch behind you (although I'd suggest that you take your seat cowl off first).

I have an Oxford one which is a nice piece of kit, but many companys make them - just check how they attach first :confused:

Why should anyone mind associating with a new Speed Triple - appart from the extra cylinder thaer are many monsters in the club with tail chops, high level cans and bug eyes... some wont even spot the difference :D :D :D

By the way, Welcome to the club.

Miles

logyk
04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
IMHO the only solution is the ventura rack.
I have one for my S4R. They are very easy to fit and are completely secure.....I have done several thousand miles with one on a 996S mono.

A great piece of kit!

ceri
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Well I picked up my new bike on Saturday and it's FANTASTIC!!! We had great weather here all weekend and I am rapidly approaching first service milage...

As expected even the S2R is pretty tall for a shorty like me, so wobbling out of Ducati Aylesbury in front of what felt like a million onlookers on Saturday was a bit nerve wracking. Once I was on the road it was great. My last few bikes were heavier than this and I couldn't believe how light and airy the whole thing was - not to mention the lovely sound of the V-twin...

Anyway enough of that. I worked out very quickly that a tank bag is definitely not for me. After everyone's really helpful suggestions, and some investigation into Ventura ( they couldn't confirm a kit for the S2R yet) I went for the next popular option and have ordered Oxford 'Sports humpback' panniers and tail bag. Took the bike to Hein-Gericke in Reading on Sunday where the friendly chaps allowed me to fiddle about with their pannier's to my hearts content on the bike to get something that fitted. Great service and I'm confident they will fit well and I can get more than a toothbrush in them.

Yes I'll definitely need to remove seat cowl when I'm using the luggage, but happy to do that.

And finally to show what a fool I am - embarassing incident of the weekend...parked the bike in front of Hein-Gericke in the sunshine as you do. After much fiddling with panniers, when we went to leave, the tarmac was so warm the bike had sunk in about 1/2 inch. I got on the bike and found that 1/2 inch was enough that I could no longer get my toe on the ground on the left and couldn't get the bike off the side stand , so had to get other half to push me upright so I could then ride away...oh dear...oh dear...oh dear...(blushing exits forum) :)

MilesB
05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Good luck with the panniers - DO let us know how you get on with the pannier/exhaust interface :rolleyes: :confused:

Sounds like you two are going touring ?