PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Changing To A Monster..

alexb
29-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi.
Just found this site on my return from Brands Hatch on Sunday after the BSB. Being stuck in traffic (in a car) for over an hour I saw plenty of bikes go past, many of which were Monsters...... :rolleyes:
Making me think.... :confused: ....HHHHMMMMMMM............Want one.... :cool:
I already have a Suzuki SV650 (V twin.) Naked in black on a W reg that sounds fantastic and pulls like a train.... :D

BUT.....

Me iz finkin' of a change to a 600 Monster...( a swap/PX would be cool.. :cool: ..)

Anyone out there got any advice/help OR even a Monster they want to get rid of...????...

Cheers.

Alex.

Albie
29-03-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a 1997 m900 for sale as bought s4.

A Yerbury
29-03-2005, 09:47 AM
At the risk of bringing about cries of heresy I would go for a 620 ie or above, Albies 900 is a good price. the sv has a bit more poke than a 600 (thats the heresy bit) That is unless your bike is called Max. At this point I state the obvious "take a few test rides"
Alex.
ps you wont regret it.

alexb
29-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. Bit too big mate. Was hoping for a 600 if poss..... ;)

What you looking foir for it though ?.....Colour, hist etc..... ;)

What kind of £'s would I be looking at for a 620, as all i have is the value of my SV. 2k approx....

A Yerbury
29-03-2005, 10:00 AM
well there is the 620 or 750, the 900 is the same size as the 600 and weighs a pinch more. However if you do get a 600 and start up with any "hmm it's not quite as pokey as my sv!" I shall do the I-told-you-so dance, I have been doing a lot of this lately!
Alex....people ignore his wisdom at their peril.
ps. sorry if I come across as rude, I am, a bit as many here will vouche. However my heart is in the right place sort of. Good luck and happy hunting.
pps plenty of bargains on ebay but you probably knew that.

alexb
29-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Not rude atall mate, i need info/help etc as I know nuffink about the Monster appart from the fact i fancie one. :D

What do i need to keep an eye out for ?...( common faults etc...)

Do you know the price of the M9 ?....

Fanx again..

Alex. ;)

nik_the_brief
29-03-2005, 10:23 AM
If ya ride all year round then do yourself a favour and get a fuel injected one, the carbs are terrible for icing up (although there is a cure for this problem in the form of a well known additive!). Hence Alex Y's suggestion of a 620 over the 600.

I have an old 600 and it does feel a bit underpowered (even to a comparative newbie like myself!) but I love it to bits and it never fails to leave me with a smile on my face after a blast - especially on the twisties!

I will eventually trade up to a bigger Monnie, there are many owners on here who own more than one, many others who are on their second or third. That's says a great deal about the bike in my opinion.

Just get one, I'm sure you'll not regret it.

Yerbs, only a couple of hundred years ago you'd have been burn at the stake, possibly for heresy but more likely just because you got on the !*!*!*!* (edited because sweary Mary wouldn't let me say t its!!) of those in authority! :D

A Yerbury
29-03-2005, 10:33 AM
I am not 100 percent but I think around the 2 and a half mark? very clean and Albie rides like a girl so I am sure it is solid. (just for you alb ;) )
I have an early 600 (94) low mileage.... some of the electrics whist not as bad as the bad old days are a bit exposed and can frustrate, althouh it is a pretty simple loom and most of these problems are minor irritants which year on year improvents have pretty much erradicated, the early no injected models suffer from carb icing quite badly, easily remedied but a bit prone to popping and stalling in just above freezing emperatures. Ducati parts are on the whole cheap, a few items (headlamp? 160? chain adjuster bolts? 9 quid? each?) however this site is full of bargains, cheats and people selling/giving stuff away. Ebay is also awash with ducati monster bits at a fraction of new prices, if you speak french/german/italian there are pages to wade through. They are easy to service oneself ....aircooled, 2 valves and solid engines although like with many official dealers they can be a bit rippy offy, If you get a monster the place that deals with your sv should have no problems, these are simple bikes that rely on simple elegant construction. The 620ie feels more like the 750 and has twin discs up front and a dry clutch (and no carb icing woes) although they tend to go for 2.5 to 3g whereas I would'nt pay more than 2 grand for a 600 (mine was 1200) some people seem happy to pay around the 3 grand mark but shop around, get a bargain because as soon as you get the thing your money will be needed for aftermarket addictions. I guarrantee it.
Alex.

ps always nice 2 meet a fellow Alex, although please try not to say "fink" as it lets the side down somewhat!

pps that was me being rude again.

DesmoDog
29-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Barton Fink?

A Yerbury
29-03-2005, 10:45 AM
"Yerbs, only a couple of hundred years ago you'd have been burn at the stake, possibly for heresy but more likely just because you got on the "man breasts" of those in authority!"

Very true, in fact there is a pitch fork weilding mob of overweight dull eyed bumpkins amassing as I type this! However I can shoot forth lightening bolts of destruction from my "rooster" so "fuk em"

Ale swiller.

ps always a joy to hear from you, I hope you are well and are now off the "additives"

stef
29-03-2005, 10:54 AM
He said it all.
I have a 95 600. same sort of comments. it takes some getting use to, if your previous bike was injected. you'll get plugs fouling/ carb icing and all the rest. if you are not aware of what is going on, you will end up calling the AA every weekend. Bike wont start, bike will keep on stalling etc. but you soon get use to the bike, and its a doodle once you know the ins and outs. at least, that's what i found. all due to the f#@*&g weather.
watch for a good service history. it's not to say that you cant get a good bike without one, but it always help (when reselling for example), and i beleive there is pleny of choice around to be picky. what for regular oil change/ belt change. high mileage probably means a top end rebuild (around the 30k mark)
i paid 1500 for mine, and splashed loads on extras. i couldnt help it, neither will you. so try and fine one with the extra's already on the bike (loud cans/ carbon bits if thats your thing.)
you will possibly find the 600 underpowered.

nik_the_brief
29-03-2005, 11:09 AM
ps always a joy to hear from you, I hope you are well and are now off the "additives"

Yep, for the time being the Pro FST is on a shelf under the stairs!

A Yerbury
29-03-2005, 11:54 AM
duly noted, however I did not receive the entire post? I know where your wife's lingerie is kept but plz forward details of the family silver.

yours patiently.
AY.

nik_the_brief
29-03-2005, 12:02 PM
duly noted, however I did not receive the entire post? I know where your wife's lingerie is kept but plz forward details of the family silver.

yours patiently.
AY.

Family silver was sold in order to afford the extravagant demands of Axfords corsetiers of Brighton, worth every penny though...

alexb
29-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Well cheers for the info chaps........ ;)
Looks like the M600 is going to be a tad under powered then.
OK, plan B. 620 or 750 then.
Keep my eye's open.

Thanks again for the help. ;)

Alex.

Zimbo
29-03-2005, 03:45 PM
I'd look at the monster 9, the SV is a four valve per cylinder watercooled bike making aroung 65bhp at the back wheel, the 750 monster is fairly rare and makes around 60 - 62 bhp, the monster 9 around 72bhp. Monsters are air cooled two valve, and make more torque in the midrange than the SV but have less power available at the top end of the rev range. You'd definately find the 600 underpowered, the 750 would feel about the same perhaps, the 9 would definately have more poke, and there's a lot more of them around at reasonable money.

alexb
29-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Just what i neede to hear mate, thanks.... :D

Albie
29-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks Yerbs for your lovely comments. :D Maybe I do ride like a girl but there some bloody good girl riders around. :D :D Take it from me that the 900 is a gem of a motor and isnt scarey.Its a fast as your hand wants to take it. They dont wheelie everywhere unless you make them. The clutch is a gem. The brakes are fantastic and you have 135mph ontap if you want it. I didnt but just cruised it at about 80/90.No problems with carb icing since using premium fuel.No faffing about with additives. Shell optimax or BP ultimate.And only needs that in winter if icey.Insurance is peanuts against the 600/750.My s4 full comp is £240 as m900 was £155.00 tpft 40yr old.Buy a 6** and its fun. buy a 900 and its more fun. And you can get more extras for the 900,open clutch and oil cooler etc. Two up riding a doddle.

Think about it and there are pics in FOR SALE :D

SazzaG
29-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Do it do it do it!

Once you've got your Monster (whatever you decide on) do join us on a rideout. You're in the priviliged position of being close to both the Surrey and Sussex groups.

Hope to see you out soon!

Saz
(was selling my M620ie, but keeping it now)

Jamcoly
29-03-2005, 05:17 PM
M600 aren't underpowered you just got to ride them right

Zimbo
29-03-2005, 07:14 PM
No, the 600 isn't underpowered and goes very well, my point was that it would seem underpowered in comparison to his SV. I know I miss the power of my 900 when I ride a 600, but that's only because you get used to a certain amount of available power and it's hard to go backwards sometimes!

gary tompkins
30-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Buy a 6** and its fun. buy a 900 and its more fun. And you can get more extras for the 900,open clutch and oil cooler etc. Two up riding a doddle.

Think about it and there are pics in FOR SALE :D

Having had both an M600 and an injected 900, I would recommend the 900 motor if pennies allow. The 600/620 is a great bike, but I'm sure you will find it hard work (powerwise) compared to the SV.

The injected motor is better than carbs for lots of reasons, but a good 900ie would set you back maybe £1000-1500 more than a late non-injected monster.

Come up to the watch UKMOC track day in June. It may help you to make a decision on what to buy?