PDA

View Full Version : Will it fit?

Danny
28-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Been a bit hasty and bought this fly sceen off ebay just now. Should have asked all the questions prior to winning, I know, I know.....

Doesn't have the clear screen part to it (are these easy to get hold of?), and i'm pretty sure that their is no fitting kit.

The big question is will I be able to fit this to my 1996 M600?

Albie
28-03-2005, 10:18 PM
yes you will be able to fit it. You will prob have to move indicators to Lamp brackets and you can make brackets to hold on fairing. Just look at a newer one to see what they are like. They are £135.00 new so u may have a bargain. :D

ps Spareshack sell screens for them and even tinted ones

http://www.spareshack.co.uk

stuartg
28-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Danny
Looks standard to me. All your missing, apart from the screen is 2 cranked "L" shaped brackets that fix it to the top yoke. I might have some somewhere I'll take a look + let you know. Not sure about screen though. You might need to try your local dealer. Failing that someone like "skidmarx", "pyramid" or "powerbronze" might do a direct replacement copy part.
Good luck.
Stuart

Danny
29-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your help.

I only paid £30, so I am hoping its quite a bargain.

NattyBoy
29-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi mate

If your after a basic transparent screen..the part number is 48710231A..give stuart at spareshack a call..

Cheers
Nat

Danny
29-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Cheers Nat

Byron Kauffman
30-03-2005, 04:10 PM
[QUOTE=Danny
The big question is will I be able to fit this to my 1996 M600?[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing with my bike. The new style faring mounts in 4 places, 2 rubber "U" shape cushions directly on the side headlight bolt and 2 tabs welded to the factory main headlight mount. This is the aluminum rod looking part behind the headlight that the headlight ears bolt to. On early models and non faring models the rubber mounting points and welded on tabs for the faring are not there. The stock turn lights are also in a different location on early bikes and will interfere with the new faring. New style turn lights use different headlight mounting ears. You have several choices, buy the new main headlight bracket and mounting ears with rubber attachment points and the new location for the turn lights. Or you can make the parts yourself. I heard so much about the faring shake with the stock mounts I decided to make my own. I built the forward rubber mounts similar to the stock units with rubber grommets and offset spacers from the local BMW motorcycle shop parts bins. It only took a little custom fitting and all was perfect. For the upper mounts I decided to use the original mount location for the old turn signals on the fork tree. It is already in the right location and drilled and tapped ready for a bolt. With the faring in place on the forward mounts you can easily see what you need to make the upper mounts. I made them from aluminum and added riv-nuts so I wouldnt need to fiddle with a nut on the back side. It all slides right in place in a minute and ony needs 2 allen bolts.
It has much less vibration than the stock mounts and has been on and off and used on long road trips for several years now.

Danny
30-03-2005, 09:14 PM
....WOW....sounds like alot more work than I thought.