PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Align Decals

Plum
26-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Anyone got a way of doing the tank decals so that they look straight and 'balanced' (for wnat of a better word.) Am spraying the tank (very badly) and want to add the tank decals after i have finished.
Cheers

L

Dark-Jon
26-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Plum, are you spraying the decals on after using a mask or are they pre-cut letters that you're applying?

I'll assume the latter :)

Long and more complex looking than it really is explanation

The letters you have will be on a backing paper, do they have a layer over the top of the letters? if not you can use a low stick masking tape (the cheaper and thinner the better) to cover the letters, you may need a couple of strips to cover them all, depends on the width of your roll of tape, just overlap them a little (do not use selotape, parcel tape or anything like that!).

Once the tape is on, use something like a credit card (or store card etc) and starting from the centre and working outwards, scrape the card over the surface, use a bit of force but take care not to rip anything. Just go over the whole lot working outwards. This makes a beter contact with the tape and minimises you risking any wrinkles or bubbles later.

Trim around the combined tape and letters to make the final bit as square as possible. Then run another strip of masking tape along the top of the square, so more than half of it sticks out, you'll use this to hold the whole thing in place while measuring and will acts as a kind of hinge later.

Now go to the bike, you'll need the letters, some kind of credit card/squeedgy and a ruler. Roughly line up the letter on the tank where you want them then use the ruler to take measurements so you can get both sides in the same place and make sure it's level ;) If you're that anal you can even use a spirit level to make sure! You should either see the letters through the tape or at least an outline/indent you measure against. You can use the top strip of tape to hold the letters on the tank whilst you measure, lift up and adjust and then re-apply, easy.

Once you're happy with the location, make sure the top strip of tape is stuck firmly and fold the letters back/up over it using it as a hinge see :D Gently peel the bottom layer of paper off to reveal the back of the letters. At this point you can if you want spray a little water on the back of the letters to help reduce bubbles, I use an old toothbrush to get a fine spray. Totally optional, just don't soak it through.

Make sure the tank surface is free of dust or grit. Rotate the letters back down to about 90 degress, then using your thumb, start at the top in the middle of the letters and fairly firmly run it down the tank over the letters. Don't hold everything too taught as to stretch it, just make sure it's not flopping about everwhere. Change to your squeedgy device (credit card) and working from the centre out again squeedgy the letters down. If you've used water you'll need to do a few times to make sure all the water is out.

Once you're happy it's all stuck down (and dry if you used water, wait a couple of minutes, do NOT use a hair dryer to speed things up!) lift the corner of the tape and gently pull it back on itself. Once you have a little bit lifted, lay it back on itself so the non sticky sides of the tape are touching. Gently work the tape until its all off. If at any point a letter starts to lift, lay the tape back down and re-squeedgy. Repeat until all the tape is removed.

Hope that helps rather than just confuses you. If you want PM me or if you're at Boxhill tomorrow I can talk you through it then

DJ :)

Edit > Ok, just saw your location, ignore the whole Boxhill thing :D

Albie
26-03-2005, 01:57 PM
What excellant advice. Very detailed I could imagine it being done. 10/10
:D

Dark-Jon
26-03-2005, 02:26 PM
What excellant advice. Very detailed I could imagine it being done. 10/10
:D

I aim to please ;)

Paranoid Dave
26-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I've just put new stickers on Kylie, same method of sticker as the UKMOC ones, individually cut out but you stick the top sheet on then peel off the sheet leaving just letters. I wanted them to match so made a paper stencil of the position I wanted on one side and light masking taped it in place so I could put some more masking on tank to show where I wanted the corners of the sticker to be. Take off the paper bit and turn it round and use it to do the other side and they will be even. Mine was easier as I have a chrome panel to line up with but you could use the frame or fuel cap, even the knuckle on the side of the tank. Whats more interesting is when I took my old ones off they left a tiny mark I wanted to cover up and when I lined up the new perfectly mirrored stickers one of them didn't cover the bit I wanted it to which means....
DUCATI DIDNT PUT THEM ON EVEN TO BEGIN WITH!!!
But as you cant see both sides at once you never notice that they were different. So long as they're close they'll look right. :D

Plum
28-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Cheers Dave. Thats helped me out big style. Will let you know how i get on