PDA

View Full Version : So .. what I learned at Donington Park

Phoenix
23-03-2005, 01:12 PM
So what did I learn at Donington Park ?
Well we shall start with the positives. Max handles brilliantly, as he always did do until last year when a few problems developed with steering which resulted in a loss of confidence in myself. This was put to rights yesterday on the track as not once did I feel I had a problem with the steering. There was no headshaking and no wobbles no squirming in corners so the progressive springs, thicker oil and Ohlins rear have paid dividends.
The clipons I found much better on the track than they were on the road but I’m still debating if to leave them on or maybe go for a variation on normal bars. Clipons alter the way a monster steers . With normal bars, and to use a term Zimbo used, the “urban terrorist” feel is good. You can steer around anything and wander all over the place mid corner if that’s what you want to do. With clipons though I feel some of this manouverabilty is lost and I’m not sure I like this as yet.
I’ve booked a further trackday at Mallory and I’m going to change the bars to see how I get on.
The work done at Dave Woods Racing and on the dyno proved fantastic. Max pulls like a train out of corners and the induction noise sounds so nice. The engine is running much better and not once gave me cause for concern. As it stands I don’t feel we’ll be hindered by not fitting the big bore kit but only race day will tell that.
The only alterations made on the day were a lowering of my gear lever height as I missed one or 2 gears but that was soon sorted and 2 clicks on the Ohlins as I was running slightly wide on the exit of McLeans regardless of what I did to correct it. Oddly it wasn’t doing it anywhere else but maybe that was result of the camber.
The plus points for me personally were : I felt in control at all times. I felt I had time to technically “think” while I was on the track. My lines were good and all through from the start straight through Redgate – Hollywood – Craner – Old hairpin – McLeans and Coppice was fast and accurate for me. The only issues came for me at the esses and around the Melbourne Loop and I never really got to gel with the left hander back onto the finish straight. Frankly I was slow through them so that’s going to have to change. The day wasn’t helped by having brand new tyres and a soaking wet track in the morning where I found it very very slippy at times. But after lunch the track dried nicely and the speed picked up markedly.
Maybe I’m being a bit harsh on myself but to be honest I felt I could do better but on the plus side I didn’t have one hairy moment throughout the day and that at least made me consistant.

So onwards to Mallory on 12th April with the possible help of Dave Woods to check on geometry as weirdly I used all my front tyre and not all of the rear.
Donington (http://www.zyworld.com/lindajones/Donington_Park_22_03-2.JPG)
Donington (http://www.zyworld.com/lindajones/Donington_Park_22_03.JPG)

CK & AK
23-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Lin - were you on 'the tyres' - and what times did you manage?

Glad you got a bit more to grips with the clip-ons & that the susp is good.

Still waiting for our forks to come back at the mo :( , but otherwise its coming together well.

C :)

crust
23-03-2005, 02:59 PM
If you cant get to grips with the clip-ons you might like these:

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=RAAJB

They are multi adjustable, so they can be up like normal bars or down like racing pushbike bars.

You can also adjust the angles that they come out at.

:) Crust

Zimbo
23-03-2005, 07:06 PM
A brilliant day all round :D
Max pulls like a train on the straights, not much slower than the 900. I followed Lin for a fair few laps to give constructive criticism, and to admire her arse of course :lol:
Lin was fairly fast through the faster bits of the track, just need to work on those left hand hairpins, otherwise pretty good!
I thoroughly enjoyed myself, my first trackday, and I found I could come fast into tight corners, shoot straight past on the inside of all the sportsbikes queueing on the racing line, the twin disc brembos just dumped all my speed really well, turn in late and accelerate hard out well ahead of the sportsbikes, haven't had so much fun in years!!! Knee down? Ha ha ha no chance, not on standard footpegs!
Tyres - standard diablos, v impressed, wet grip good with progressive slides when provoked, no nasty surprises. In the dry they were simply superb, only a slight twitch from the back when banging down the box hard on the brakes, used edge to edge and beyond with total confidence. No sign of real wear after 100 track miles, no cold tear at all.
Times - I was doing 2 min 11 sec towards the end, 68mph average, still more to come though :p
Roll on Mallory . . .

craigie
23-03-2005, 08:59 PM
If you cant get to grips with the clip-ons you might like these:

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=RAAJB

They are multi adjustable, so they can be up like normal bars or down like racing pushbike bars.

You can also adjust the angles that they come out at.

would these really work on a monster?

I remember looking at them ages ago and thinking they'd be good for adjustment but that being that cheap they were probably wobbly as 'cheese string', and that being the price they are would never 'fit' a Ducati.

I'm no snob and if they'd work I'll start that thinking thing again.

cheers

Craig

crust
23-03-2005, 09:20 PM
would these really work on a monster?

I remember looking at them ages ago and thinking they'd be good for adjustment but that being that cheap they were probably wobbly as 'cheese string', and that being the price they are would never 'fit' a Ducati.

I'm no snob and if they'd work I'll start that thinking thing again.

cheers

Craig

£40 - "that cheap" :eek:

for a pair of handlebars :eek:

Tell you what, buy a pair off me, yours for only, say £150 ;)

Seriously though, why not? Handlebars are all one outside diameter so, sure they'll fit monsters with normal bars - ie not S4s

( ok, I know you can get 'fat' bars for off-roaders, and sure certain old British bikes are whitworth :rolleyes: )

Jota bars can be bought from loads of places, so quality may vary but I cant see Busters selling a dodgy safety critical part like handlebars.

I used to have a set on one of my old bikes, was dead handy to be able to carry an allen key and adjust the bars depending on how I felt.

Find a shop that sells them and see.

craigie
24-03-2005, 08:07 PM
£40 - "that cheap" :eek:

for a pair of handlebars :eek:

Tell you what, buy a pair off me, yours for only, say £150 ;)

you know what I mean, compared to most things that go with Ducati's anything thats not at least 3 figures seems cheap.

cheers for the info

Craig

walkingpictures
25-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey Lin,real pleased you did ok at Donnington in spite of the rain :mad: lotsa luck for the rest of the season,hope the sun shines on you next time

Kimbo xxx :)

slob
25-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Surely the big bore kit's a must, +85cc is about 15% more power straight away, no?
I will try to make it to your first meet to show some support, since I'm unlikely to make it to Arrow Mill due to other commitments. If not, best of luck Lin!